Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: ECU packed it in... at the dealership.  (Read 2451 times)

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: ECU packed it in... at the dealership.
« Reply #10 on: 16 June, 2019, 07:33:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hanta Yo [+]
I have had a small problem with the bike that I asked the Service people to look at...  the bike floods out at stop signs every once in a while.

Just out of interest. What exactly happened with what you call floods out?
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Hanta Yo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: New Westminster, BC
« Reply #11 on: 16 June, 2019, 08:01:42 AM »
It happens/happened occasionally that I would be sitting at a stop sign / red light with the bike idling and then when the light changes, I go to give it a little throttle while simultaneously putting it into gear and the engine simply cuts out. 

BTW all - I was able to find a used ECU which cost me around $100 to get here from California*, and it was installed in the bike which now has the proper tune... but somehow both headlights ended up blown...!    It never rains, but it pours!   The engine runs good and sounds good so I am reasonably happy if somewhat perplexed that in fixing one thing, something else so often seems to - ah - retire.  Anyone else out there have a similar experience?

But generally speaking, I am pretty happy just to have the bike back... two wheels always trumps four in my book.

Cheers.

* I actually have a second one coming from Florida just in case... will probably keep it as a spare assuming I will never have to use it, BUT would need it instantly if I sent it back... a variant of Murphy's Law.  Phew and/or yikes... Take your pick.
« Last Edit: 16 June, 2019, 08:03:43 AM by Hanta Yo »

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #12 on: 16 June, 2019, 08:41:02 AM »
I agree with tutha boys, sounds like dealer feckt it.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Hanta Yo

• Tiger Member
« Reply #13 on: 16 June, 2019, 05:17:05 PM »
To be fair, the intermittent "cutting out" was a long standing problem, i.e. before the dealer had ever touched the bike, at least on my watch. 

As I said in an earlier post within this thread, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.  IF I had had to pay for a new ECU,  I would probably be looking at this a little differently.  One of the troubles with these situations is finding an alternative.  There is another dealer over on Vancouver Island and there are some good independent M/C mechanic shops in Vancouver itself, but the former requires a ferry ride and the latter do not have the diagnostic computer capability (as far as I can tell) so...   What's a guy who is not confident with engine and/or electronic repairs to do?

The mechanic who works on my bike at the dealership (and worked on the Black '09 I had just prior to this, the '07 White one) correctly identified the exhaust as the aftermarket OEM one and sorted through and subsequently installed the appropriate, off road tune to match (it previously had the Arrow tune apparently) so is either fully competent and really cares OR is a bloody good actor; the next 5000 km will tell me which it is, I reckon.

And once again, thanks to all who weighed in on this... it was really helpful to get different perspectives.  Ride on.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #14 on: 16 June, 2019, 07:12:07 PM »
Hmmm...   Cutting out as youre putting it into gear...   slightly flaky clutch switch could just as easily be behind that.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #15 on: 16 June, 2019, 11:47:47 PM »
Hanta Yo, well done, on managing to remove the dealers grip on your  :172:

I doubt the blown headlamp fuse is related to anything more than power fluctuations, with disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

Hope this one plays out well for you. You have certainly make excellent headway  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #16 on: 17 June, 2019, 12:29:41 AM »
Can I have your 'dead' ECU please? Happy to pay freight.

Offline Hanta Yo

• Tiger Member
« Reply #17 on: 17 June, 2019, 03:42:47 AM »
Mike_B:  Thanks... IF it happens again, I will check the clutch switch as a 'probable cause'.

Yellow Dog:  I get by with a little help from my (Forum) friends.  Thanks.

TCC: They likely chucked it, and they are closed tomorrow / Mondays BUT... I will call them on Tuesday and will be going in there when the bulbs arrive so if they have it,  I will let you know and we can arrange something.  Cheers, mate!* 

*We Bermudians say "mate", "ace", "skilla'", b'y, and the old timers still say "bird", I believe.  When we say "Cheers" it does not sound anything like - shall we say - someone from the Mother country... it sounds more like "Churs".  Oh, and we also say "aiyah' but that is more properly Jamaican.  We miss you, Bob.

Offline Dante

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 '08
« Reply #18 on: 18 June, 2019, 03:46:29 PM »
Hi Hanta Yo,

I wonder if you ever considered buying a cheap OBD2 connector and try to plug your bike with the old ECU to Tuneecu free software. It happened to me two years ago I thought my ECU was broken after map download, bought a second hand one and while waiting for it to arrive, though I had the opportunity to fiddle with the broken one, so downloaded again the software to my computer, including fresh maps, plugged the bike and... viola! Alive again! Now I keep the second ECU as spare.

Simptoms seems to be the same as mine (sorry TCC), corrupted software or communication

Offline Jeff

• Tiger Member
« Reply #19 on: 25 June, 2019, 03:40:32 AM »
If you have electrical components burning out like the ECU and bulbs you could have too much voltage. Maybe a problem with the regulator. I would check it out before it is run much more to prevent any more damage.