Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another trail ride!  (Read 522 times)

Online Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2018 B-Mer
  • City / Town: Newbury
Another trail ride!
« on: 19 May, 2019, 07:17:17 PM »
Explored some more local Byways today out near East Ilsley next to the A34! Those pesky ruts had me off 3 times again🤔. Bit of a worrying pattern emerging  now as each ride I seem to fall off one more time???  Anyway, heres some pics looking toward Oxford with the A34 to the left. Was out nearly 3 hrs with very little roadwork and a great variety of trails in woods, gravelly paths, fields and the dreaded ruts of course!

Too old to die young!

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
Re: Another trail ride!
« Reply #1 on: 19 May, 2019, 09:55:04 PM »
Sounds a good day

With ruts Im not sure if there are easier or harder wet or dry....
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes

Online Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: 19 May, 2019, 10:41:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ukwes [+]
Sounds a good day

With ruts Im not sure if there are easier or harder wet or dry....

It was a fun ride bar the falls!  I seem to be going along quite well  and then one wheel catches an edge and it's all gone tits up in an instant! After our recent rain one section on a camber was really difficult to even get grip with wheelspin straight away with the added problem of the ground being farther away if I tipped that way.  Still, I'm hoping with practise I'll find a way to improve this aspect of trail riding as it is a challenge for sure.
Too old to die young!

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #3 on: 20 May, 2019, 08:35:25 AM »
Bit addictive innit. You got loadsa trails in your patch, most of ours have been downgraded thanks to the ramblers. As if they didn't have enough footpaths without nicking our BOAT's.

Some enduro tyres might help in the ruts. I currently have Dunlop Geomax, fairly cheap & decent grip 3k miles I rec'n. I had Bridgestone Gritty on, they were good but 2k miles were shot.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: 20 May, 2019, 09:32:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Bit addictive innit. You got loadsa trails in your patch, most of ours have been downgraded thanks to the ramblers. As if they didn't have enough footpaths without nicking our BOAT's.

Some enduro tyres might help in the ruts. I currently have Dunlop Geomax, fairly cheap & decent grip 3k miles I rec'n. I had Bridgestone Gritty on, they were good but 2k miles were shot.

Hi mate, yeah, very addictive and I do know how fortunate we are round here looking at byway Map!  Great shame for you're area as there must be some brilliant rides you could do around .  I did put a new set of tyres on when I bought the bike but they're more road oriented  50/50 ish? Heidenau summats?  They're fine on dry loose or grassy areas but a bit of wet and its pot luck gripwise!  I'll have a look at the Geomax's,  cheers.
Too old to die young!

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »
Good thing with enduro type tyres are they are relatively cheap compared to performance tyres

I had Michelin AC10's on the Honda, and have Mitec's to go back on the Fantic.

I don't think there is a magic tyre that stops you falling over though!  :745:
Things like rut work is just practice required in all conditions.
Other things like knowing when to sit (with weight over the wheel) rather than stand to get added grip in tricky sections
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Fantic 250 Casa for green lanes

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #6 on: 20 May, 2019, 10:08:36 AM »
Good thing with enduro type tyres are they are relatively cheap compared to performance tyres

Other things like knowing when to sit (with weight over the wheel) rather than stand to get added grip in tricky sections

Ha, yeah, ruts are just hard work, up ont pegs & eyes down, then ya don't see it changing, too late.

Re the Michelin AC10's, me & me pal fitted them, got a good deal but worst tyres we ever had, terrible squirmy on tarmac, following ripples. He thought his swing arm was shot, phoned me to say he had it in bits but found nowt wrong, I said mines same. White lines & over-banding they were all over, not that good off road either. Yet some folk like them. Maybe they work better on bigger/heavier bikes. His Honda XR250R & my Yam Serow 225, both suffered same, we binned um, he went for IRC which his Honda came with, they're good. I went with the BT Gritty at the time.

Just got to make sure whatever you fit are road legal FIM enduro tyres, not MotoX tyres or they fail the MOT.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: 20 May, 2019, 04:31:35 PM »

Cheers Ukwes!  If only there was a magic tyre!  :008:  practise is the answer for sure, glad I got some hip armour into my mx jeans last week too!   Is that the Eo9 tyres for the Fantic? They get some good reviews.

Ha, yeah, ruts are just hard work, up ont pegs & eyes down, then ya don't see it changing, too late.

Re the Michelin AC10's, me & me pal fitted them, got a good deal but worst tyres we ever had, terrible squirmy on tarmac, following ripples. He thought his swing arm was shot, phoned me to say he had it in bits but found nowt wrong, I said mines same. White lines & over-banding they were all over, not that good off road either. Yet some folk like them. Maybe they work better on bigger/heavier bikes. His Honda XR250R & my Yam Serow 225, both suffered same, we binned um, he went for IRC which his Honda came with, they're good. I went with the BT Gritty at the time.

Just got to make sure whatever you fit are road legal FIM enduro tyres, not MotoX tyres or they fail the MOT.

Cheers mate! Looks like the which trail tyre dilema could be like the Which screen for TS issue?   in the meantime, I've just straightened my brake lever..again and my steering. Ready to do again :152:
« Last Edit: 20 May, 2019, 04:33:47 PM by Fossil »
Too old to die young!

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #8 on: 20 May, 2019, 05:56:10 PM »
Ha,  :008: we leave everything a tad on the loose side, then it's easy to straighten. Talking bars, levers, forks here, the stuff that always gets bent, twisted or broke.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Fossil

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: 20 May, 2019, 11:39:46 PM »
Ha,  :008: we leave everything a tad on the loose side, then it's easy to straighten. Talking bars, levers, forks here, the stuff that always gets bent, twisted or broke.

That's all done! Sorry, I misled you there! Should have said brake pedal not lever! Luckily it's not snapped yet and is quite bendable!  So far it's bent away from the oil filter housing too.
Too old to die young!