Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Never buy Chain Lube again ?  (Read 4787 times)

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
Never buy Chain Lube again ?
« on: 29 April, 2019, 01:33:36 AM »
This is quite interesting:

Unlikely to make me change, but I enjoyed the findings of this research  :062:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
Re: Never buy Chain Lube again ?
« Reply #1 on: 29 April, 2019, 02:17:41 AM »
Hallejulah, something to support a gut instinct opinion I've held ever since o-ring chains became the norm. 

Oh the barbs I've suffered when out on long distance rides with groups and I've been the only one not bothering to lube the chain at some lengthy stop.

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2019, 07:28:50 AM »
He missed a very important benefit of the muc off stuff, smells of strawberries  :001:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline DaveH

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Belper
« Reply #3 on: 29 April, 2019, 08:09:46 AM »
Gear oil wins... Sounds like vindication for Scottoiler/PD oiler/Tutoro & the like.. Constant supply of oil at low volume to the chain as you ride... Fit and forget... Mine certainly works.. Chain remains clean, rust free and easy turning with very little friction and no tight spots...
👍
Tiger 1050 Sport :001:
Honda VFR1200F :152:
Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 :037:

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Quainton
« Reply #4 on: 29 April, 2019, 08:31:57 AM »
In 2007, when I was getting my previous bike serviced, before selling and prior to taking delivery of my MKI Tiger; the young fellow behind the counter, tried to sell me a $25 can of chain lube. I told him I didn't need it, as I just use engine oil. Then came the look like I had two heads  :087:. I told him I'd been using engine oil as chain lube since the early 1970s and had not ever had a chain seize or a sprocket wear prematurely. He told me he'd not ever heard of engine oil as a chain lube and THIS $25.00 can is what I need to maintain my 'O' Rings  :192:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT - 40,000Km with zero tyre wear & zero engine or chain wear (c8

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #5 on: 29 April, 2019, 09:54:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by DaveH [+]
Gear oil wins... Sounds like vindication for Scottoiler/PD oiler/Tutoro & the like.. Constant supply of oil at low volume to the chain as you ride... Fit and forget... Mine certainly works.. Chain remains clean, rust free and easy turning with very little friction and no tight spots...
👍

:0461: Back int 60's we used Linklife, best carborundum paste ya could make soon as it hit the road. Then we found gear oil with its non-fling properties was the dogs danglies for lubing our chains. Then we thought, this is a pita carrying all this cleaning & lubing kit when on a 3k mile tour, feckin waste of riding time & effort. Fit & forget a Scottoiler or your choice, cleans as it lubes.

I can never understand folk saying a chain is lube sealed, only a bit of it is. If tha dinna lube yer chain, ya got dry rollers on dry sprockets, dry sealing rings be they O or X, they dry out & if ya dinna lube the plates they goes rusty. So ya ends up wi rusty plates rubbing on dry rubber rings, well that's reet smart eh, how long's that gonna last.

A chain kit not lubed might last 8k-10k miles if it don't snap. A chain lubed with a good oiler can last 30k+ miles.
Also: '16 Tiger 800, '95 Yamaha Serow, '58 Ariel FH.

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
« Reply #6 on: 29 April, 2019, 10:29:24 AM »
I'd wondered if the primary purpose of chain lube was to prevent corrosion, as the seals retain the lube in the link.
However if this is true it doesn't explain why a rear wheel turns a lot freer after lubing the chain than before.
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #7 on: 29 April, 2019, 11:07:46 AM »
Scottoiler believer me also. I finally found the solution to my over-enthusiastic one - use the red Scottoil. It's meant to be for high temps only, but I've found that because my reservoir is located in a place that gets all the hot air coming back off the motor, it gets pretty warm! The red oil works just fine, and I finally have a clean, lubed chain without it getting everywhere else.  :046:

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #8 on: 29 April, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »
Very entertaining...will bookmark and watch more from this channel if only for the amusement value.

Always good to be the smug guy at the results of these tests.  I currently use muc-off lube, so semi-smug.

I've never used a Scottoiler, but it's good that a test like this backs up all those thousands that swear by it.  I guess the only proviso is to use heavy oil, and not just splash on and multigrade oil.
Other bikes: 2010 Street Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Husqvarna FE350 for green lanes, a Husqvarna 701 Enduro for TET and a Yamaha TDR250 for investment fun

Offline Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #9 on: 29 April, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »
Yay, he did one on chain cleaners too  :152:

Other bikes: 2010 Street Triple R,  ZXR 400 race bike for track days and Husqvarna FE350 for green lanes, a Husqvarna 701 Enduro for TET and a Yamaha TDR250 for investment fun