Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust has an influence on oil consumption?  (Read 448 times)

Offline R3morf3R

• Tiger Master
  • Torque and Sonority enchanted individual
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2017
  • City / Town: Leuven (Brussels)
Exhaust has an influence on oil consumption?
« on: 19 April, 2019, 08:56:36 AM »
Hi,

about 5.000 kilometers ago, I had another exhaust (as sporpion Serket, baffle out) and air filter (mwr MC-080-08 HE air filter) installed on my TS 17.
Admittedly, I don't check oil regularly, but I went to my dealer this week for a basic checkup and he told me they the oil level was pretty low and they had to add about a liter.
It's the first time I've had this amount missing in such a short notice. Before, I only had about 300 to 500 ml in 10.000 kilometers.
On top of that, I haven't even been driving a lot lately because of a car accident that caused me some physical distress.
The bike now has a total of about 25.000 kms.
Could it be that the exhaust and oil filter cause the engine to consume more oil?
It's not that I've been pushing it harder since, rather the opposite as you can hear the engine better at low revs now (due to the lack of baffle).
Maybe it's just normal wear & tear and I need to be more attentive about oil level, but it's a strange coincidence...

All the best,

RM

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Exhaust has an influence on oil consumption?
« Reply #1 on: 19 April, 2019, 09:30:29 AM »
After market exhausts & air filters normally result in a weaker mixture. A rich mixture can wash the oil off bores. I've been reading an article in Ride mag where they talk about all Triumphs using oil. Not in my experience they don't. My TS has done over 20k miles, doesn't use a drop.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #2 on: 19 April, 2019, 10:18:36 AM »
Lots of factors affect the mix. There are a few cars RS Turbo Sport types of cards that I have driver, which burn a ridiculous amount of oil in. I remember one of my employees taking his brand new Skoda Fabia RS back to the dealer, as the car was getting through a litre every 2 weeks. They told him it was normal for such a high performance engine :087:

I've had similar with BMWs and Audis.

Whereas my standard setup TS, burns clean and dry, which is why I haven't changed anything  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #3 on: 19 April, 2019, 10:28:40 AM »
I think a lot can depend on oil and type of use also. If the bike sits around for long periods, especially as the seasons are changing, then you can get a build-up of condensation inside the motor. When the bike gets used this gets burnt off, so oil levels can be misleading.

Maybe why Mr T always says check level when hot after a ride, say 5 mins after the stop.  :027:

Offline R3morf3R

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: 19 April, 2019, 11:24:47 AM »
Hi Paullie,

I haven't really stopped driving this winter, except when it was snowing.
Since the visit to my dealer,  I have out of prudence, reverted to my other exhaust (a low sc project with baffle), to see if it makes any difference.
The TS has a little less power with it, but seems to vibrate less in the handlebars than with the Scorpion. Maybe there is a link.
As P2B wrote about his TS not eating any oil, mine didn't either before the exhaust swap, so I'll be watching it closely to see if it's better now.
Of course, conditions are a bit different now. Today we have a brilliant 21 degrees centigrade. It's back to leathers in stead of seven layers of clothing  :300: :028: :031: :029: :123:.
One of my Audi's used up to a liter every 2.000 kilometers, so I always had a spare liter in the car and more at home, but I hope my TS doesn't copy this behaviour, as it will make me think about it all the time.

All the best,

RM

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #5 on: 19 April, 2019, 01:37:15 PM »
Did you have a richer tune loaded for the after market exhaust?
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2019, 01:57:57 PM »
might be more of how the dealer measured it as compared to you. Or he overfilled it. I would enjoy riding it and keep an eye on it.

Offline R3morf3R

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2019, 02:40:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Did you have a richer tune loaded for the after market exhaust?

Hi P2B,

you cannot load a tune on the newer TS, it has a self regulating locked ECU. I did however do a dyno test after the first adaptation and a week of gradually driving in a more sporty fashion and it showed an almost perfect A/F ratio on the dyno:

The chart is comparing it to the stock exhaust.

All the best,

RM

« Last Edit: 19 April, 2019, 02:48:14 PM by R3morf3R »

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #8 on: 19 April, 2019, 04:25:34 PM »
So on the latest TS, you can fit whatever end can you like & the ecu adapts the fuel/air to suit. Brilliant. No easy excuse for the oil usage then. Did the dealer do the last oil change? Mebbe he (the apprentice) didn't fill it to the correct level. I change mine at 3k & check the level every 500 or so.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2019, 10:07:47 PM »
Did you perhaps switch from semi to fully synth oil?

That could make a difference.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.