Author Topic: Exhaust has an influence on oil consumption?  (Read 2994 times)

Offline chwinc

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Anglesey
Re: Exhaust has an influence on oil consumption?
Reply #20 on: 25 August, 2021, 10:28:00 PM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Ayup m8, you got it wrong way around there, it's nothing to do with the grade, it's (certain) fully synthetic oils that some of the boys have found uses considerably more in their engines. Changed to semi syn & been ok. I can understand that, full syn finds its way anywhere.
Oil grade has everything to do with it,along with contamination of the oil .The viscosity index is very important which is different in various multigrade oils such as 5/30 compared to 10/ 30. If people are  using oils that are for petrol and diesel engines ( fleet oil) the higher detergent levels in these oils can cause increased oil consumption.Always use oils that are designed for motorcycles ( because of wet clutch) I have always gone for fully synthetic due to its increased resistance to shear.Fully synthetic does not increase oil consumption as it has a lower volatility than semi synthetic
Last Edit: 25 August, 2021, 10:34:46 PM by chwinc

Offline chwinc

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Anglesey
Re: Exhaust has an influence on oil consumption?
Reply #21 on: 26 August, 2021, 12:36:57 AM
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Ayup m8, you got it wrong way around there, it's nothing to do with the grade, it's (certain) fully synthetic oils that some of the boys have found uses considerably more in their engines. Changed to semi syn & been ok. I can understand that, full syn finds its way anywhere.
Yes got it wrong way round duhh i meant fully synthetic does not burn more oil ,not semi in my original post :430: :062:

reconstruction