Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2016 on Ride by Wire Heated Grips  (Read 417 times)

Offline DaveH

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Belper
2016 on Ride by Wire Heated Grips
« on: 16 April, 2019, 05:56:15 PM »
Been out on my VFR today which has Oxford heated grips... They're like night and day compared to the rammel that Triumph purport to be OEM grips for the Tiger.. Had to turn em down to 50% and they were still a tad too warm.
By comparison the Triumph grips get barely warm..
Has anyone out there fitted aftermarket grips to the ride by wire bikes.. If its not a problem my OEM Triumph ones are going in the bin and a set of Oxfords going on..
Tiger 1050 Sport :001:
Honda VFR800 VTEC :152:
Moto Morini Corsaro 1200 :037:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: 2016 on Ride by Wire Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2019, 06:34:44 PM »
Heard a few poor reviews on the Triumph heated grips, not only on the fbw bikes, on Bonnies also. Maybe they're designed to take little current for some reason.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2019, 07:26:47 PM »
Triumph was out of stock on the OEs when I got my bike. Really wanted them cos of the internal wiring so got myself a pair of Gerbing gloves while I waited.

Got so used to having my whole hand warm on my 85 mile each way winter commute (motorway speeds in sub zero temps) I'll never use heated grips again  :164:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online philm44

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport - 2016
  • City / Town: Gravesend
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2019, 09:58:33 PM »
Seangee.
I've been using Keis heated gloves for the past few years. Much better than heated grips I think. I've got Triumph heated grips on my '16 TS but only as a back up plan should the Keis fail (I'm on my second pair of Keis. An intermittent wiring fault did for the first pair after @ 3 years)

Offline DaveH

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2019, 10:16:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Triumph was out of stock on the OEs when I got my bike. Really wanted them cos of the internal wiring so got myself a pair of Gerbing gloves while I waited.

Got so used to having my whole hand warm on my 85 mile each way winter commute (motorway speeds in sub zero temps) I'll never use heated grips again  :164:
Been looking at the Gerbing gloves as I've got the jacket liner with the connectors in the sleeves... Which gloves have you got?

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2019, 10:38:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by DaveH [+]
Been looking at the Gerbing gloves as I've got the jacket liner with the connectors in the sleeves... Which gloves have you got?
I have these https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/252821.

They are actually my favourite winter / cool weather gloves even when not plugged in, and proof that you don't need goretex to be totally waterproof. 
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline DaveH

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: 20 April, 2019, 07:55:44 AM »
Thanks Sean...
I thought about it and decided that Hot Grips are probably the best option for the type of riding I do...

As for fitting Oxfords....the definitive answer is YES...it can be done.

Its a simple matter of leaving off the OEM plastic grip tube on the clutch side which gives a conventional 22mm diameter bar.
The throttle side is a bit more tricky....the plastic throttle sleeve is conventional 26mm diameter bit has a lot of mouldings on it that need to be removed (see photo)

I was lucky in that I fitted my own Triumph grips after I bought the bike, so still had the originals to modify. If your bike came with heated grips fitted then you may not have been given the redundant non heated throttle grip.
The throttle grip is quite a tight fit so needs to be aligned correctly before fitting as I doubt it'll come off again without damaging either the grip or the inner tube.
I fitted the throttle grip with the tube off the bike as I didn't want to  put any strain on the RBW unit.
I used superglue to attach clutch side and strong hairspray throttle side as I didn't want the glue gripping with the grip half on...a rubber faced mallet and a hard rubber pad under the inner end of the tube saw the throttle grip safely attached.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #7 on: 20 April, 2019, 09:44:22 PM »
Looks a nice job!  :028: :028: