Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hughenden M40 closing  (Read 346 times)

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Hughenden M40 closing
« on: 16 April, 2019, 05:01:24 PM »
Just heard that Hughenden M40 is closing  :003:. Their last day will be 23rd May. A real shame, that's who I bought my bike from and I really liked the place and the staff.

Unfortunately it seems the owner doesn't want to continue it now without the Triumph franchise, and will just run a smaller operation in Buckinghamshire.

So 4 guys out of a job, including some very good mechs and parts people, now looking for something else. So if anyone looking for some good staff .

Online TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
Re: Hughenden M40 closing
« Reply #1 on: 17 April, 2019, 12:42:47 AM »
Hmm, I know the Australian Triumph distributor is a completely separate entity to the UK operation but I wonder if Triumph Corporate has set some global business criteria some dealers can't meet because the largest Triumph dealer in Sydney (with 2 large dealerships) had the Triumph franchise taken off them before Christmas.  Another dealer further up the NSW coast (an area we call the Central Coast) also had the franchise renewal declined not long after.   

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2019, 01:22:44 PM »
Afraid it sounds very similar. Triumph want dealers to invest lots in snazzy new showrooms with cafes to become a bit of a biker centre. This owner, who's owned the site for as long as I can remember, didn't want to do it. It's true it's not very pretty, but hey it's a bike showroom with a good workshop.

Trouble is I suppose they'll never make pots of money out of someone like me, since I know what I want and am not really influenced by having the latest thing. Plus I'll seek out a bargain when I can.

But Mr T wants lots of bright young bearded wonders (I actually do have one myself, even if it's not so young any more :003: ), to buy the retro Triumphs 'cos they look cool (or think they do, which is equally important), then sell them after a year and buy the next latest model.

Even for those dealers that are prepared to play this marketing game, I'm not sure that the return is really there. That market is of a toy for those with disposable income, and I think that market is going to shrink as time goes on. Seems that dealer's taking all the financial risk, and Triumph reaping the reward. At least those are the kind of thoughts I've heard expressed .

But really the way the market is going in the UK and Europe now, Mr T should be working on an all-electric or hybrid or hydrogen bike. The signals are practically shouting it now.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
« Reply #3 on: 24 May, 2019, 10:46:47 AM »
Last day is 31st May 2019. Currently they're offering 25% off on Triumph and Oxford accessories, also on helmets. I think some clothing reduced too.

Also couple of rather nice T800 XRs, if anyone looking.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2019, 11:09:11 PM »
Met an ex-member of Hughenden staff at Cassington Bike Night tonight. He said Hughenden's ex Head Mech Simon has set himself up as an independent servicing Triumph m/cs. He's taken over Hughenden's old workshop (renting off the new landowner), so located at same address - now called Milton Common M/Cs. If you want a quote tell 07379 696531.

The other surprise was that the new Triumph dealer in the area is Premier Bikes at Wootton, the KTM agent. Apparently they took delivery of 14 new Triumphs on 21/6/19, while the showroom and website are still under construction. I asked about Triumph-trained mechs, and got a rather throwaway line about modern bikes all being the same anyway! So although there may be some deals on sales, have to say I'm not really inspired with confidence about their workshop.

But I'm probably a rather unusual customer in that the quality of the workshop is the first thing I want to know about a dealer (have chosen car dealers that way too).