Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New KTM 790 assessment  (Read 575 times)

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: New KTM 790 assessment
« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2019, 11:00:05 AM »
The Duke?  :087:
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online R3morf3R

• Tiger Master
  • Torque and Sonority enchanted individual
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2017
  • City / Town: Leuven (Brussels)
« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2019, 11:04:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
The Duke?  :087:

Hi P2B,

just check out this link (or any other comparison between the two):

https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/a-disruption-in-the-force-ktm-790-duke-vs-triumph-street-triple-r

All the best,

RM

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2019, 11:56:34 AM »
Looks aside, I think the 790 Adventure R is a great bike but an 800cc, 450 lb. (with fuel) bike is not really a middle weight in my book. And at $13,500US it is a bit pricey for a "middleweight". Still, looks like KTM will sell a boat load of them. Think there is a need for middleweight adventure bikes that are an evolution of the large dualsports. The V-Strom and Versys 650's are really street bikes and the DR, XR, and KLR 650's are vintage bikes from the 1980's. Was hoping Yamaha would nail it with the T7 but it looks like it might be biased more toward the Strom and Versys . Plus Yamaha have been teasing us with prototype images for several years but delaying the release in the US until mid 2020 which has put most potential buyers off. Love to see a bike like a 650 Africa twin (or single) with a modern design motor and true offroad ability for a sub 10K price and sub 400 lb. weight.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Online R3morf3R

• Tiger Master
« Reply #13 on: 17 April, 2019, 12:10:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by gosling 1 [+]
Looks aside, I think the 790 Adventure R is a great bike but an 800cc, 450 lb. (with fuel) bike is not really a middle weight in my book. And at $13,500US it is a bit pricey for a "middleweight". Still, looks like KTM will sell a boat load of them. Think there is a need for middleweight adventure bikes that are an evolution of the large dualsports. The V-Strom and Versys 650's are really street bikes and the DR, XR, and KLR 650's are vintage bikes from the 1980's. Was hoping Yamaha would nail it with the T7 but it looks like it might be biased more toward the Strom and Versys . Plus Yamaha have been teasing us with prototype images for several years but delaying the release in the US until mid 2020 which has put most potential buyers off. Love to see a bike like a 650 Africa twin (or single) with a modern design motor and true offroad ability for a sub 10K price and sub 400 lb. weight.

Hi Gosling1,

I think you're absolutely right, but middleweight / class seems to shift north of 450 pounds these days.
I personally have no need to go off road, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in that area for the moment.
KTM have plans to launch a 390 Adventure single cylinder, but that's probably not powerful enough for you.  I don't see a lot of other motorcycles offered now and in the near future.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #14 on: 17 April, 2019, 12:52:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by gosling 1 [+]
Love to see a bike like a 650 Africa twin (or single) with a modern design motor and true offroad ability for a sub 10K price and sub 400 lb. weight.
For me, scrub the off-road ability but keep the 'Adventure' styling, i.e. comfort and practicality for touring. Whoever produces such a bike that's light weight, economical, practical (storage), and cheap would probably clean up. So far I think the latest Honda CB500 (adventure version) has come the closest.

At my age power is not really interesting to me. But being able to trickle comfortably over different surfaces and in different traffic situations is, and being able to wheel it about easily.

Online R3morf3R

• Tiger Master
« Reply #15 on: 17 April, 2019, 01:09:15 PM »
Hi Paullie,

the CB500X is really a great deal, with a nice, punchy parallel twin.
It does need another exhaust though, just like any other Honda.
Because of its weight, around  440 pounds, there are a few decently priced alternatives around, that have a slightly larger engine, like the Versys 650, the V-Strom 650 and the Tracer 700.
All of them are worth a test drive. Triumph doesn't currently have an alternative in this area. I'm sure they'll fill that gap at some point, as more and more people realize large engines make no sense anymore.
In Belgium, as you know, you can only drive 70 KMH on most roads...
Hell, I was in Germany last Friday and it was astonishing to see the highly increased amount of speed limited roads around the town I used to have a job about twenty years ago...
With a smaller engine, you can still kind of race through all gears without losing your license instantly and it's easier to handle. It's the reason I'm looking forward to the KTM 390 Adventure or the Triumph and other alternatives to come.
I love my TS, but its weight and the way it's distributed, makes it difficult to haul around sometimes and still haven't quite solved the turbulence issues. Then again, the latter are no better on the alternatives with the stock screens....

« Last Edit: 17 April, 2019, 02:05:38 PM by R3morf3R »

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #16 on: 17 April, 2019, 06:35:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by R3morf3R [+]
Hi P2B,

just check out this link (or any other comparison between the two):

https://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/a-disruption-in-the-force-ktm-790-duke-vs-triumph-street-triple-r

All the best,

RM

Ayup m8, confusion again. I never mentioned the Street triple. Read my post again SPEED TRIPLE. My point was, I can buy a Sp3 with 148bhp a top spec Triumph for the same money & weighs the same, imo they are both naked street bikes. Why would ya!
Leonardo da Vinci

Online R3morf3R

• Tiger Master
« Reply #17 on: 17 April, 2019, 08:00:46 PM »
Hi P2B,

My mistake, the Speed Triple is an awesome motorcycle, no argument there. (So is the Street Triple, which is the same concept with a smaller engine and a direct competitor for the Duke 790).
Paullie, the thread starter is however looking for a lower cost, lightweight, adventure style bike.
I don't consider a Speed/Street Triple an adventure bike. The suspension travel on both just isn't comparable to an adventure bike and neither is the riding posture.
I adore the S3's and SP3's triple engine, but their suspension is a definite nono on the kind of roads we have in Belgium (and large parts of the UK for that matter).
There's a good reason I'm driving the Tiger Sport and not the speed triple  :152: :046: :047:
I've tested both extensively. My heart said: "SP3".
My mind and bad neck luckily shouted: "TSSSSSSS !!! :123:".
But Paullie is considering a lighter machine with the same comfort and I can perfectly understand the reasons he is giving.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #18 on: 17 April, 2019, 08:20:08 PM »
Ha, I can understand anyone in Belgium feeling the need for an adventure bike, I've passed through mebbe 30 - 40 times on route to other countries. An enduro bike with 12" suspension travel would be best suited to those pot holed motorways. Big difference when we enter Lux. You need to pay more taxes. Ha  :745:
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 02:15:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by R3morf3R [+]
Hi Gosling1,

I think you're absolutely right, but middleweight / class seems to shift north of 450 pounds these days.
I personally have no need to go off road, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of choice in that area for the moment.
KTM have plans to launch a 390 Adventure single cylinder, but that's probably not powerful enough for you.  I don't see a lot of other motorcycles offered now and in the near future.

Had a ride on a RC390 sport bike, nice little motor! :152: Picked up a cheap '11 DRZ400S last fall, a blast to ride on local dirt roads and trails but covering any longer distances can get a bit tiring.  Was really interested in the Yamaha T7 with the MT07 motor when it was first announced and think a new modern design fuel injected, liquid cooled 650-700 cc single or twin dual sport biased ADV bike would sell well if they can keep the price reasonable.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!