Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Would you believe it? Tyres!  (Read 809 times)

Offline af1-windy

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport
  • City / Town: Leeds
Would you believe it? Tyres!
« on: 16 April, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »
Tyres  :180:

Always been a Bridgestone man...  :020: The dealer was reluctant to fit them to the TS as they're not recommended by Triumph. :084: Anyway, they did fit a pair of BT-023 GT's so I'll give some feed back once I've had a good ride out, wet and dry.. so far so good but only done 100 miles or so..

Cheers, windy

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Would you believe it? Tyres!
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2019, 03:09:41 PM »
Ha, a true Yarksha mon will always find a good deal.  :745: I used to have BT023's on me ST1050 back int day. Good tyres.

Good price on them now eh.
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/motorbike-tyres/bridgestone/battlax-bt-023-gt/

The PR4's & R5's are popular on the TS. I got almost 11,860 miles from my last set of PR4's, couldn't quite stretch to 12k. They were a tad square by then. Replaced with same 260.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline mr t

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050SE
  • City / Town: West Sussex
« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2019, 06:45:59 PM »
I take it was a Triumph dealer you visited for the tyres. Cause if it was, i can why they only recommend this or that due to better hand backs. I looked at Triumph for tyre replacement because as i didn't want the hassle of taking the wheels off myself. Getting lazy in my old age. They were happy to fit Roadtec 001 for me but now here's the good bit. They wanted 155.00 more than anyone else locally. So i bought them myself for 265.00 and a local main Honda service centre fitted and balanced them for 10 each. Funnily they will even service my Tiger using genuine parts cheaper than Triumph can. Now there's something wrong there. Buck your ideas up Triumph.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #3 on: 17 April, 2019, 07:05:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by mr t [+]
I take it was a Triumph dealer you visited for the tyres. Cause if it was, i can why they only recommend this or that due to better hand backs. I looked at Triumph for tyre replacement because as i didn't want the hassle of taking the wheels off myself. Getting lazy in my old age. They were happy to fit Roadtec 001 for me but now here's the good bit. They wanted 155.00 more than anyone else locally. So i bought them myself for 265.00 and a local main Honda service centre fitted and balanced them for 10 each. Funnily they will even service my Tiger using genuine parts cheaper than Triumph can. Now there's something wrong there. Buck your ideas up Triumph.

Ha, aye m8, I buy me bikes from Triumph dealer, they're lucky if they get any more money off me.

I get my tyres from a local independent mechanic, ride in/ride out service. He'll get the tyres at a good price or he'll fit what yer brung, same price,  30/pair. I'm happy with him, I don't let tyre fitters near my bike.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2019, 11:14:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by mr t [+]
All very fine, but how many Honda mechs will know about keeping the chain on the loose side, or pulling that little plug in the airbox drain to check for fluid, or any one of a dozen little tips. I'm no particular fan of dealer main agents, but their mechs should have expertise that others won't .

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2019, 01:57:34 AM »
Bridgestone are one of the better quality tyre manufacturers and actually spend cash on R & D (unlike some who just copy others).

It will be good to hear your experience/reviews.

Won't be as good as PR5s though  :010:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
« Reply #6 on: 18 April, 2019, 02:16:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Ha, aye m8, I buy me bikes from Triumph dealer, they're lucky if they get any more money off me.

I get my tyres from a local independent mechanic, ride in/ride out service. He'll get the tyres at a good price or he'll fit what yer brung, same price,  30/pair. I'm happy with him, I don't let tyre fitters near my bike.

I'm very fortunate. The local dealer (Cascade Moto Classics)  is very easy to deal with. Tire prices are very competitive, and if you want something they don't keep in stock, no problem. They'll order them no extra charge. And after they've mounted, balanced and test ridden, the technician will have a chat about how things looked, and if there might be something that needs attention.

They're one of the reasons I started looking for a Triumph in the first place.   :028:

Offline Megaross

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 '07
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2019, 08:37:22 PM »
I absolutely loathed the bt023's I had previous to my roadtec 01's, like no wet grip and wore out in 4k. But I've got a mate who runs them on his FZR and seems to like them well enough so it's swings and roundabouts I guess.

Offline Bodger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport/Street R
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2019, 11:49:11 PM »
BT 021s must be up there as one of the worst tyres ever produced.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #9 on: 26 April, 2019, 07:44:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bodger [+]
BT 021s must be up there as one of the worst tyres ever produced.

Ha  :0461: feckin awful things. Most top name tyres are better than 99% of riders, but not those things, BT brought out the 023's quickly because of the flack they got yet continued to make the 021's. They were so much worse than the previous 020's.  Best tyres from BT were the short lived 020NN that were OEM fitment on my '08 ST1050. They were a brill mix of 014 compound & 020 profile. Why did they drop the best tyre they ever made & so soon? Madness!
Leonardo da Vinci