Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The Tiger that stubles but never falls...  (Read 1177 times)

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Re: The Tiger that stubles but never falls...
« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2019, 11:16:27 AM »
I'm going with a plug or HT lead due to the intermittent nature..

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #11 on: 17 April, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »
 I agree with you. A bad plug (most likely) or a plug top coil. (No HT leads any more).

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #12 on: 17 April, 2019, 03:30:37 PM »
Quite right. My post timed out before I could edit the HT lead bit. It's a symptom of a cracked plug porcelain insulator. Or, as you point out, a coil. This is one of those cases where it would be great if it would just fail and be done.. 

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #13 on: 18 April, 2019, 02:14:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Freddy [+]
Intermittent problems are the worst.  Sometimes you just hafta let them develop until you and induce it and diagnose it - sorry.

It is always a diagnostic nightmare, when you can't recreate the problem.

Though it sounds obvious, have you connected up to tuneecu, to see if your vacuum numbers and pressures are all in line and also to check for error codes?
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Triumph24

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 abs
  • City / Town: Ada
« Reply #14 on: 23 April, 2019, 04:15:53 AM »
Well so fAR i'VE REPLACED THE PLUGS, CLEANED AND LUBED THE k&n, completely drained the gas tank, to make sure there was no water in it, & rebuilt the fuel pump, & run injector cleaner through i. I think I've pretty much eliminated the fuel issue. Next I'm bringing my Triumph expert for Oklahoma City to have him hook his computer up to see what it will say. I'm now leaning toward a problem  with one or more coils. How can you test those?

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #15 on: 23 April, 2019, 06:51:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by Triumph24 [+]
I'm now leaning toward a problem  with one or more coils. How can you test those?

I've had a stick coil go, it's possible, on mine it just didn't fire on that plug one morning, no warning signs, the EML lit up straight away. I've found them all bulging & cracked at the head but still working, I replaced those. I got a set of 3 from a breakers for 20, I think they're near 100 each new.

Have you checked the Ignition switch for bad connections that could give an intermittent fault but I'd think the EML would light up.

I had problems when I tried a K&N filter on my ST1050, it didn't fit the seal, so I returned it. Has this problem started since you did something? eg fitting that K&N.

Has the motor had the latest tune installed? I think it was 2011 before they got it right.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #16 on: 23 April, 2019, 08:40:46 AM »
A set of ignition coils are cheap enough and need replacing in the fullness of time. Most garages do one at a time, but as you can't recreate the problem.
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #17 on: 23 April, 2019, 10:50:01 AM »
Did you find any mess in the air filter box at the back behind the inlet trumpets? if so, have you drained the drain tube (removable plug at bottom)? You haven't said if you checked the tank breathers are not reversed . You can get a vacuum buildup if they are.

Other than that, it is starting to look electrical .  :027:

« Last Edit: 23 April, 2019, 10:53:53 AM by Paullie »

Offline Triumph24

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2008 1050 abs
  • City / Town: Ada
« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2019, 08:42:51 PM »

Thanks Guys for all your input. After draining the tank completely, installing a rebuilt fuel pump, new plugs, air filter, etc. I became an expert on removing the tanks, etc. Turns out it was a coil on one of the plugs. Don't  know which coil cause I changed all three, and she purrs like a Tigress.  Now I need to find a way to test the ones I removed, so I can keep the other two for a spare.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #19 on: 29 April, 2019, 08:58:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Triumph24 [+]
Thanks Guys for all your input. After draining the tank completely, installing a rebuilt fuel pump, new plugs, air filter, etc. I became an expert on removing the tanks, etc. Turns out it was a coil on one of the plugs. Don't  know which coil cause I changed all three, and she purrs like a Tigress.  Now I need to find a way to test the ones I removed, so I can keep the other two for a spare.

Thanks for the feedback, great to hear you sorted it. Those intermittent faults are the hardest eh m8. Did you buy new coils or breakers? Bit expensive new but fine if it's the cure.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci