Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: HID gurus needed  (Read 972 times)

Online gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Re: HID gurus needed
« Reply #10 on: 04 April, 2019, 12:57:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Yeah,  Sport headlights like the ol Rocking Horse doo doo

Try finding used ones here in the US.  :001:  They are easily available here new, (even though the Sport is not), but are about $525US! As I recall, they sold for about $350 when I did the conversion 5 years ago. Guess Triumph caught on that the Mk1 owners were buying them and upped the price. :009:
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Fourbears

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Norwich
« Reply #11 on: 02 May, 2019, 07:47:34 PM »
As a comparison I put an Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited +150% H7 in and..... not much difference.  I have noticed that the dipped lens seems cloudy so it may be past its best.  Thing is you can't take it apart easily to check and/or clean it.

Offline yankee doodle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Member
  • We only live once, enjoy it !!
  • City / Town: READING
« Reply #12 on: 15 May, 2019, 01:41:47 PM »
The main thing to remember with HID lights is if you are UK based, they will now not pass an MOT ! (At least they are not supposed to, guess it depends on how hard the examiner looks) Everyone knows the Tiger is known for having really crappy lights, so I went down the LED route. Just don't buy cheap Chinese ones, they have a habit of failing, and end up flashing on and off at other road users, not good when people pull out in front of you because you flashed at them. I paid about 60 for each pair (so now I have a spare of each :)  ) the only thing with them is, as they are fan cooled, you cant get the rear cover back on.  Some people have cut holes in the cover to allow the fan to poke through, but its not very successful, the LED's still get very hot, I left the cover completely off of mine, and have done for the last 3 years, well almost 3 years, never had a problem,  ride all year round, rain not affected them, no problem at MOT, and the best bit is you can see at night time  :031:

Offline Fourbears

• Tiger Member
« Reply #13 on: 15 May, 2019, 04:40:51 PM »
Yankee thanks.  Funnily enough it did pass the MOT with the HID in as that was how it was when I bought it - the supplying dealer (a Honda dealer) did the MOT.  However I am not sure how thorough they were as the parking lights were not working.......  Anyway which LEDs did you buy as I was considering them but baulked at the cost of the Phillips Ultinon H7s - over 100 a pair and I was not sure if they would improve things.  I was also looking at the conversion to a Tiger Sport headlight but I would have to buy new and then wire it in as they have twin dip and high beam bulbs on at the same time.

Offline yankee doodle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Member
« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2019, 07:43:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fourbears [+]
Yankee thanks.  Funnily enough it did pass the MOT with the HID in as that was how it was when I bought it - the supplying dealer (a Honda dealer) did the MOT.  However I am not sure how thorough they were as the parking lights were not working.......  Anyway which LEDs did you buy as I was considering them but baulked at the cost of the Phillips Ultinon H7s - over 100 a pair and I was not sure if they would improve things.  I was also looking at the conversion to a Tiger Sport headlight but I would have to buy new and then wire it in as they have twin dip and high beam bulbs on at the same time.

I think the MOT thing only came in a couple of months ago, also most dealerships, the examiner hardly ever sees the bike, he is just rung by the salesman, told the reg and bingo.  Just had a quick look and cant find the 2 spare LED's I have, but these are the closest I can find. I am thinking about doing the Sport conversion, but thats not cheap either is it.               https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-F20-PACKAGE-DIPPED-BEAM-SIDELIGHTS-DAYTIME-LIGHTS-LED-WHITE-SUPER-BRIGHT-H7/263715575248?hash=item3d66ac55d0:g:ck4AAOSwGKRbO27p&frcectupt=true

Offline Fourbears

• Tiger Member
« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2019, 08:08:28 PM »
Well my MOT was at the end of February and its obvious it had a HID.  I've just put it back in as it was brighter than the Nightbreaker.  Thing is the beam pattern is not good plus I think the reflector has discoloured so not sure whether those LEDs will improve things.  If the Sport conversion was cheaper I would go for it but it is pricey.  Tempted by LEDs though and if you could find out what yours are I may well get some. 

Offline Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #16 on: 15 May, 2019, 09:16:54 PM »
No amount of bulb swapping will make the OE Tiger projectors as good as they should/need to be (nor make them a proper twin set up as they ought have been in the first place).

Offline yankee doodle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Member
« Reply #17 on: 16 May, 2019, 08:40:32 AM »
Well my MOT was at the end of February and its obvious it had a HID.  I've just put it back in as it was brighter than the Nightbreaker.  Thing is the beam pattern is not good plus I think the reflector has discoloured so not sure whether those LEDs will improve things.  If the Sport conversion was cheaper I would go for it but it is pricey.  Tempted by LEDs though and if you could find out what yours are I may well get some.

When I get home later, I will photo the box, so you can see which ones I got, (unless I stumble across them while having a cuppa at work )  I have to admit it was only trial and error, finding out which ones looked and worked as I wanted.....and lasted ! these ones have been in for nearly 2 years or so and no problems at all.

Offline yankee doodle

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Member
« Reply #18 on: 16 May, 2019, 07:47:37 PM »

This is them fella   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-Bulbs-H7-Led-Cree-COB-72W-8000LM-White-6500K-Headlights-Low-Beam-For-Mercedes/372355075406?hash=item56b2178d4e:g:-4oAAOSwsD1bsUPY

Offline Fourbears

• Tiger Member
« Reply #19 on: 17 May, 2019, 08:29:59 PM »
Thanks bud!