Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New 1050 Engine - Loss Of Oil Pressure  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: New 1050 Engine - Loss Of Oil Pressure
« Reply #20 on: 22 March, 2019, 06:55:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rhead [+]
i always fill the filter, then the motor. Over 30 times on the tiger, never had an issue.
Hmmm never done it that way before, but am doing an oil change tomorrow at 57k so will give it a go  :152:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #21 on: 22 March, 2019, 09:38:19 PM »
How could this be a bad thing?

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #22 on: 23 March, 2019, 08:24:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rhead [+]
i always fill the filter, then the motor. Over 30 times on the tiger, never had an issue.

Oil & filter change should be one of the simplest tasks on a bike. Always coat the rubber sealing ring, but don't ever fill the filter.

Now you have me worried  :087:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #23 on: 23 March, 2019, 08:43:27 AM »
I must admit Ive always assumed that filling the filter before fitting was just the right way to do it.    You know it takes X litres of oil to refill for a full oil and filter change, and starting from a new 4-litre container, it is easy to see that youve added the right amount.   I would also have assumed, had it occured to me to wonder, that filling the bike before fitting the filter would result in an expensive, messy puddle on the garage floor.

Learn something new every day...

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #24 on: 23 March, 2019, 08:55:01 AM »
I just checked the Muddy sump video, he fills the filter. Factory trained mechanic.

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #25 on: 23 March, 2019, 10:02:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
I would also have assumed, had it occured to me to wonder, that filling the bike before fitting the filter would result in an expensive, messy puddle on the garage floor.
Learn something new every day...
Yeah, likewise ....

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #26 on: 23 March, 2019, 10:44:05 AM »
^^^Yeah, I'd have guessed same.

So they're saying, if I'm reading this right, you fill the engine, then fit the filter not filled, just lube the gasket, then start up.

What problem can this eliminate? Possibly an airlock between pump & filter? I wonder how many have suffered this, we have one amongst our small number.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #27 on: 23 March, 2019, 11:26:41 AM »
In my opinion, filling the oil filter prior to install is not that important. You can do it on the Tiger (and I have) because the filter comes up from the bottom. When you start any motor after an oil/filter change, the oil pressure light should go out after a few seconds. Upon start up, I always watch it to make sure this is the case. I think filling the filter may reduce the time the motor needs to get up to pressure slightly. The Tiger is the only vehicle I have owned with the oil filter facing down since my old '77 Guzzi LeMans  decades ago. Everything else I have owned, bike or car, have had horizontal oil filters. So not practical to prefill the filter on them.

The issue with the newest gen 1050 motor probably a result of the redesign. One review of the bike mentioned the sump was redesigned to contain the oil lower, reducing frictional losses. And the oil passages in the head were redesigned to eliminate external lines for a cleaner look. Did not know the sump could be filled with the filter off without dumping fresh oil all over the floor, learned something new. :002:

Bottom line, if your oil pressure warning light does not go out after a few seconds upon start up and remains on, shut it down. :156:
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #28 on: 23 March, 2019, 11:57:51 AM »
The re-design of the oilways may well be the cause of the issue on the new Sp3's but doesn't explain why it happened on varnerju's 'o8 Tiger1050.

I have only filled the filter for the past 2/3 years after my car mechanic pal give me earache about it. But as Rhead posted he's done it some 30 times baht probs. Then think of Muddy sump doing mebbe 10 oil & filter changes per week for many years all filling the filter.

Strange one this eh. Good heads up though, if it happens to any of us, we know why & how to stop it happening. Thanks to Indy & varnerju.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #29 on: 23 March, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »
I'm not sure how the design is laid out just above the filter, the only thing I can think is that when you screw on the filter, it will obviously push a bubble of air up into whatever pipework or whatever is above it.   It could just be that a bubble of air up there, when pressurised by the filter being screwed on, is enough to leave the impeller inside the pump also sitting in air rather than being filled with oil.   Spinning the filter on empty of oil will produce much less pressure in that area and not push the oil out, because any trapped air has the whole filter volume to be be compressed in rather than whatever small bit of pipework is just above the filter.

Could well be completely wrong of course, but it's one plausible reason for Triumph now recommending you fit it empty on the new motors.