Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wanted: Mk1 Tiger 1050 headers downpipes  (Read 919 times)

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Wanted: Mk1 Tiger 1050 headers downpipes
« Reply #30 on: 14 March, 2019, 11:04:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tigras1050 [+]
I am a 4th owner so history is unknown, but that looks like stress at the joints.
I had a go at brazing.
Was not very easy to make a rod to flow, results are not perfect, But I think it works. I just need more practice.
Later will post some pics.

Good on ya for giving it a go, hope it works.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Tigras1050

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: '08 Tiger
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #31 on: 14 March, 2019, 03:05:24 PM »

That's my setup. Spent about 90. Came with 2 MAPP cylinders.

That's first try. Quite a mess. It was not a problem to heat up the headers to red. I had a problem using flux. Instructions said to just dip hot rod into the powder. But it didn't stick so I used flat screwdriver to dump too much flux on the area.
And as I said rod wasn't melting smoothly and flowing. I had to sort of move the puddle a bit and then it was better.

That's after cleaning up a bit.

Here is a try on some spare pipe I had.

So seems brazing can plug holes, but either metal prep needed to be better or temperature hotter to melt rod easier.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #32 on: 14 March, 2019, 03:17:23 PM »
Like I said before, red heat approx. 650c, braze approx. 875c, (going off memory from me college days here). It needs to be clean metal to make it flow. Yer getting there.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #33 on: 14 March, 2019, 04:01:05 PM »
Oh my, this brings back memories! It takes practice. A clean surface is the first trick. A good spread of flux is the next. The heat is critical and needs to be uniform across the area you want the brazing to cover. Too hot is a problem as well as too cool. When you hit it all right, the rod will flow like solder and you will have to 'massage' it with the torch. You can also smooth out the weld with heat (and more flux) rather than grinding. Like I said, it took quite a bit of practice and learning my torch behavior to be able to start making nice welds. Good luck!

Offline tiggersteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050 now KTM 1290SAS
  • City / Town: doddington cambs
« Reply #34 on: 14 March, 2019, 09:59:37 PM »
Flux should stick to rod you likely had the rod too hot, shouldn't really be HOT just warm it up and dip just keep heating a little longer at a time and the flux with tack to the rod

Offline smaug

• Tiger God
  • GRRRRRRR
  • Bike/Model: 07 Tiger 1050 BLUE
« Reply #35 on: 15 March, 2019, 11:47:28 PM »
Just take it to a real welder. FYI,welding isnt brazing and you dont massage anything with a torch,lol
ginger beer still popular here?

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #36 on: 16 March, 2019, 11:37:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tigermike [+]
Young lad at my work has a 2014 tiger 1200 with 25K miles, he gave it to his local triumph dealer for a service & they noticed the issue below & apparently its quite common on T1200, T800 & T1050  :084:  :005:
he is having it welded up as the cracks are (at the moment) only hairline.
any one else had the same issue apart from Tigras1050?  :187:

I'm curious about how a dealer would have picked up such hairline cracks in the headers at a service. I'm assuming they wouldn't have seen them (radiator in the way?).

So was the bike chuffing a bit, if you know what I mean? Or could they have noticed leaking exhaust fumes or something?

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #37 on: 16 March, 2019, 11:50:05 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
I'm curious about how a dealer would have picked up such hairline cracks in the headers at a service. I'm assuming they wouldn't have seen them (radiator in the way?).

So was the bike chuffing a bit, if you know what I mean? Or could they have noticed leaking exhaust fumes or something?

Maybe dealers seen a few with cracks, so looking for the problem. Nice bit of extra work for them. Doubtful Triumph will cover it on a '14 bike.

Poor quality st/st innit, the OP's are proper rusty, this Explorer one is bad enough.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #38 on: 17 March, 2019, 04:30:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]

I will find out  tomorrow Paullie, i think they picked the cracks up with a torch, not sure if they were leaking fumes  :084:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #39 on: 18 March, 2019, 11:30:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigermike [+]
I will find out  tomorrow Paullie, i think they picked the cracks up with a torch, not sure if they were leaking fumes  :084:
owner of the TEX took it for a service & as part of that the Triumph dealer has to check all the gaskets that they can get to are tight - including the header gaskets, the mechanic was looking at these with a torch & noticed the hairline cracks then.
there are no leaks (yet) but he is going to get them welded soon before they expand any further.
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.