Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hella socket  (Read 404 times)

Offline Jonnym

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport 1050
  • City / Town: Peterborough
Hella socket
« on: 03 March, 2019, 08:14:10 AM »
I've been looking at the options for putting a USB socket somewhere near the handlebars, can't see any easy way to do it. The Hella socket down on the left side seems to be in a stupid position, I can't work out what you'd plug in down there, is it waterproof? A USB under the seat seems daft too.
So, any ideas?
Thanks......

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Hella socket
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2019, 08:34:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonnym [+]
I've been looking at the options for putting a USB socket somewhere near the handlebars, can't see any easy way to do it. The Hella socket down on the left side seems to be in a stupid position, I can't work out what you'd plug in down there, is it waterproof? A USB under the seat seems daft too.
So, any ideas?
Thanks......

I grant you that up near the bars would have been nice but I use the Hella socket all the time, I run my phone charging cable from it up to the Ram mount. The USB, yep, thats fairly useless though I did once have a cable running from it to my Drift camera on the engine bars
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Jonnym

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2019, 09:30:26 AM »
Thanks Tim, is the Hella socket waterproof once you've a lead plugged into it? I'm struggling to find a suitable Hella-iPhone lightning cable.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2019, 09:53:16 AM »
There are various gadgets on t'internet, I've bought loads over the years then found sumert better. I've had a few optimate & some better from motorworks, see link below. I've replaced some plugs with that small right angled hella plug, stays in better with that socket down below, I dunno why, on the Tiger 800 it's just where you want it, up top where you can plug in a double usb gadget. Maybe put down below to escape rain when in use.

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=75&Ct=IA&SbCt=BA_15_75_IA_70
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2019, 10:00:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jonnym [+]
Thanks Tim, is the Hella socket waterproof once you've a lead plugged into it? I'm struggling to find a suitable Hella-iPhone lightning cable.

Im not one for riding a lot in rain, but given its position Im fairly confident not much will get in while riding, I stick a dab of silicone grease in from time to time.

Got my phone charging cable from Sport Touring in South Wales, mines a Micro USB, but Im sure he does Lightning too. Found em, ultimate add ons:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/401348643734?chn=ps&var=670964880840
« Last Edit: 03 March, 2019, 10:23:02 AM by Timbox »
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Online Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2019, 10:36:59 AM »
Easy to drill a hole in one of the cockpit infill panels and fit a Hella socket there. Can be wired to make it either switched live or permanent live - your choice. I've done it on both a T1050 and the TS.

But to be honest, since then I don't tend to bother with the external socket. I simply have a 12v - 5v USB converter (cheap on eBay) with a couple of USB outputs buried in the wiring behind the headlamp, then run a longish USB cable with the right mini/micro/C USB plug on it to where I need it. When not in use I simply wind that cable round the brake reservoir.
« Last Edit: 03 March, 2019, 10:41:48 AM by Paullie »

Online jkd102

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2019, 10:45:32 AM »
I got this adapter to turn it into a regular cigarette lighter type socket

https://tinyurl.com/yxt88nxd

I have my V1 radar plugged in here. The cord is long enough to reach the bars comfortably.
The good thing is with the right angle it does not stick out too far.
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Re-Trimmed seat, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech City Evo Tank Bag, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand, Ventura rear rack.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #7 on: 03 March, 2019, 11:09:51 AM »
Missus has an iPhone thingy, the home charger is a 240v plug with a usb plugged into that from the iPhone. All you need, I'm guessing, is a hella to usb converter if you don't have a usb socket on the bike. She charges it in the car via the usb socket.

https://ultimateaddons.com/collections/motorcycle-chargers
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Jonnym

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: 03 March, 2019, 05:42:20 PM »
Thanks for all the replies , very helpful. I'll have a look at Ultimate Addons, I've seen that Richy Vida bloke on YouTube talking about them.