Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wolo bad boy horn  (Read 609 times)

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Wolo bad boy horn
« on: 09 February, 2019, 09:17:06 PM »
Installed this today. Pic is still a "preview" as I have to trim the surplus cable now that everything is in place. Also have to re-attach my camera, and will see if I can rig up some sort of cable guide on the back of the fork or lightbar.

Can't find a listing on eBay for the whole kit I bought which included wiring, relay, connectors etc but its a model 419 http://wolo-usa.com/air.htm. The sound on the clip on that site is pretty accurate. The wire and connectors that came with it seem a decent quality and the relay works with no delay - time will tell how reliable it is. It also keeps going at the same volume unlike my current one which has recently started fizzling out after a second or so.  I did have to go to Halfords to pick up a 25A mini blade fuse as it was supplied with an in-line blade holder (and fuse) but I am firing it via a Fuze Block under my seat. Its nice and loud but not in a  :172: off out of my way way. I was a bit concerned about that because often I only want a please notice that I'm here beep without coming across as aggro.

I saved a good bit on the height by turning it sideways and making a Z shaped bracket. The bracket is screwed into the original location and then bent up in front of the bottom yoke which allows everything to sit a little higher. It could go a little higher or be angled further forward but I had to clear the light bar. The location of the live wires in the pic give a good indication of where I mounted the relay.

Might even have time to wash it tomorrow if the weather is ok  :164:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline sax_000

• Tiger Pro
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Wolo bad boy horn
« Reply #1 on: 10 February, 2019, 01:58:30 AM »
Ummmm............... are you sure that isn't going to hit the mudguard on full fork compression?

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #2 on: 10 February, 2019, 04:23:25 AM »
You might want to move it up and hide it like I did.  Posted the install a while back.

LOUD sucker and it's still working years later. Good kit, but I would suggest a relay our wiring is a tad thin and good juice can't hurt the sound.
Not to mention, your second indication you have a issue could be magic smoke coming off your wires.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2019, 07:22:07 PM »
Coincidence or what, having a clean around up by the hooter and one of the wires just snapped off the spade terminal, think I had the same with the 955, corrosion gets at the wire ends. Other one wasnt far behind so stripped and crimped new terminals to both

Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2019, 08:32:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Coincidence or what, having a clean around up by the hooter and one of the wires just snapped off the spade terminal, think I had the same with the 955, corrosion gets at the wire ends. Other one wasnt far behind so stripped and crimped new terminals to both
Occupational hazard down there I'm afraid. The Wolo has recessed connectors so I will be putting a rubber cap over the end

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2019, 10:11:34 PM »
I wonder what the current draw is compared to OEM? On the site they don't indicate the need for a relay, like the Big Bad Max which states you MUST use a relay. Any chance of you measuring the current of the OEM and this bad boy...?

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #6 on: 10 February, 2019, 10:12:41 PM »
Cleaning up a hooter is a whole different game over here in the USA....

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #7 on: 11 February, 2019, 03:36:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by ZuluTiger [+]
I wonder what the current draw is compared to OEM? On the site they don't indicate the need for a relay, like the Big Bad Max which states you MUST use a relay. Any chance of you measuring the current of the OEM and this bad boy...?
Not near it at present but the instructions say for a bike you MUST use a relay and a minimum of 2.5mm cable. They also specify a 25A fuse.  So  that's what I did.

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #8 on: 11 February, 2019, 10:52:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Not near it at present but the instructions say for a bike you MUST use a relay and a minimum of 2.5mm cable. They also specify a 25A fuse.  So  that's what I did.

Good idea, the OEM horn wiring is spindly and all the current flows through the handlebar switch contact which could be damaged by arching if you run a high current horn. Hopefully the fuse would pop before the wires melted.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #9 on: 12 February, 2019, 01:11:12 PM »
I still would like to know what it actually draws. I'm always going to use a relay but even that needs to be sized correctly. Only he who measures, knows.