Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fast rider on the Ring  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
Re: Fast rider on the Ring
« Reply #20 on: 31 January, 2019, 08:01:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
One of my pals had a Porsche track car, looked like a 911 but had an odd number 9** I forget, totally stripped out with no carpets, had a roll cage. I drove it, it was horrible, had a sintered clutch that was in or out. He only had it a couple of months, wrote it off on way back from a track day, on the M1. He said he swerved to avoid something and got the renowned pendulum effect, ended up round a tree up the banking, totalled the Porsche.

I drove a lot of 911s in the 1980s and they were downright dangerous in the wet. The clutch pedal goes the wrong way and there is zero chance of controlling a broadside. One time, I did a weekend swap, with a work colleague, of my Lotus Esprit Turbo, for his Porsche 911 Turbo, for a weekend. The turbo lag was so bad, I managed to do a 360 degree spin, whilst attempting to get on the M1 at Staples Corner. I got away with it, but have not ever trusted 911s since that time and once I upgraded to a 928S4 and then the GTS, is was so much better. Not to mention the V8 ROAR  :007:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #21 on: 31 January, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
I drove a lot of 911s in the 1980s and they were downright dangerous in the wet. The clutch pedal goes the wrong way and there is zero chance of controlling a broadside. One time, I did a weekend swap, with a work colleague, of my Lotus Esprit Turbo, for his Porsche 911 Turbo, for a weekend. The turbo lag was so bad, I managed to do a 360 degree spin, whilst attempting to get on the M1 at Staples Corner. I got away with it, but have not ever trusted 911s since that time and once I upgraded to a 928S4 and then the GTS, is was so much better. Not to mention the V8 ROAR  :007:
Did a track day in a 930 in the 80's  :005:
Scary having to predict when you'll lose the back and then having to correct for it 3 seconds before it happens.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #22 on: 31 January, 2019, 09:46:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Did a track day in a 930 in the 80's  :005:
Scary having to predict when you'll lose the back and then having to correct for it 3 seconds before it happens.

BUT, in those days, no one would dare say how terrible they were. It was the 'In Vogue' motorcar to have. I only bought one, as a result of peer pressure. My Lotus was sooooo much better. These days however, they are extremely sophisticated and still one of the very few supercars, you can let you partner go out shopping around town in, without worrying. 

Offline millsy1

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #23 on: 01 February, 2019, 03:53:23 PM »
Did a track day in an Atom and ended up throwing up at the end of the day from the G-forces which I was told is not uncommon for first timers in an Atom. That thing is seriously quick and FUN.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #24 on: 01 February, 2019, 10:36:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by millsy1 [+]
Did a track day in an Atom and ended up throwing up at the end of the day from the G-forces which I was told is not uncommon for first timers in an Atom. That thing is seriously quick and FUN.

WOW - I would certainly be happy to pay for such a great thrill (without the puking)  :169:

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #25 on: 01 February, 2019, 11:11:13 PM »
Is there a race series or category for Ariel Atoms? In the UK or anywhere else?

Offline millsy1

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger
« Reply #26 on: 02 February, 2019, 12:30:49 AM »
Yes here in CT I know they started a race spec atom series at the racetrack where I did the trackday, Thompson motor speedway. The guy who runs it is a dealer in Massachusetts. He was suppose to start one at Lime Rock raceway here in CT also but not sure if he did it or not. I did the trackday about 7/8 years ago so im not sure what has happened with the series. They also do the same series in different states. I wanted one for the street but they are very difficult to register and they are not legal in many states and CT doesnt allow them to be road legal so I gave up on owning one. I would love to have one for a trackday car but I have an 8 year old so that dream will have to wait.
http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/news/specraceatom-comes-thompson-speedway-motorsports-park
« Last Edit: 02 February, 2019, 12:33:31 AM by millsy1 »

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
« Reply #27 on: 02 February, 2019, 02:27:48 AM »
Spotted this one in CT last year at a local restaurant, had Michigan plate I think. The owner rides a BMW S1000R as well, said getting the Atom registered in the U.S. was real PITA. Would be a hoot to take it for a lap or two on the Ring!
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #28 on: 02 February, 2019, 09:12:54 AM »
Ariel Atom.....'Ow much?
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #29 on: 02 February, 2019, 10:37:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Ariel Atom.....'Ow much?
You could buy 5 TSs instead ...!   :015: