Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger on Tour to Poland and back - Susten Pass ride  (Read 1715 times)

Offline Gogs Alba

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 08
  • City / Town: Edinburgh
Re: Tiger on Tour to Poland and back - Susten Pass ride
« Reply #20 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:12:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Ayup Gogs, just watched your vid on the Stelvio, brilliant. Is that a ride up from Bormio to the top & back to Bormio? Solo with no luggage and early morning was how I should have done it also. I was camped up at Cepina, just a few miles before Bormio, 9.30am before I got packed up & on the road, with 100lbs of luggage on board 'cos continuing over the other side to Merano then down to Lake Garda to chill out & drink beer, needed it after that ride. This old fart (66 back then) wobbled round some of the right handers coming down when heavier traffic stopped me using all the road. At one point the dreaded Volvo 740 was coming up and cut the bend across me, that was a tad unnerving to say the least. It's the only pass I don't wish to do again. Certainly not loaded up with camping gear.

Aye up Paul,  YES- the footage was a ride up and down from Bormio and back... I had a long winding ride day over to the east side of the Dolimites to do..( arrived 10pm... tired oot, so i was..... 

I was up and over bothsides in 2015...on the BMW S1000XR on my way to Croatia.... that ride over was as early so empty as the video but due to a mates new Triumph Tiger 1200 front caliper problems . we had to take another ride over around midday... on our way to Austria- Grossglochner halpenstrassa...
We may have been on it on the same day.... as it was as you describe... chockers slow... painfully so.... and as much as it pains me to say... we were tripping over other bikers... as well as buses , trucks , cyclists cagers and the odd fricken Marmot...not enjoyable at all...especially fully loaded. hence my return the following year and a virtual empty solo ride road experience was had.... bloody bliss....  on that tour to Poland - 25 plus passes were done...... only bettered by my Month away last summer-- somewhere between 25-35 ..... think my passeo addiction is on the wane now...... well.... maybe not... as watching the Stelvio vid has given me the urge to ride it again...  :007:
did you take the fast route to Garda or the round the houses optionarriving from the North ?

Offline Gogs Alba

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #21 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:15:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grouchybastard [+]
Awesome. Beautiful. Epic.  My vocabulary is limited to mostly four letter words so I can't think of any more descriptions. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more.

glad you enjoyed.. will upload one or two more..

Offline Gogs Alba

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #22 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:27:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
I enjoyed it too, nice reading of the road. Soundtrack was great also, just the sound of the motor plus one addition - "...crap, effing crap ...", or something like that ...  :001:

Cheers dude, I only had the Tiger for a few weeks before Euro tour, so was learning how to ride a triple for the first time... i'm sure others wouldve chosen differing angles and gear choices for sure.... i have calmed my percieved need to make as many gear changes..and use the bottom end torgue more and the engine braking to better effect. My explitives were in relation to the rear brake squeel i developed....sorry...  ( using too much brake when not needed)..

This pass is where i fell in love with the triple and its tone.... so thought adding music wouldve been wrong... best tune of all eh.....  :002:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #23 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:37:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gogs Alba [+]
did you take the fast route to Garda or the round the houses optionarriving from the North ?

Like I said, dropped down the Stelvio to Merano, then got stuck in traffic going nowhere until an Italian biker came past down the hard shoulder at 60mph, so seemed a good idea to tag onto him. Cut off at Trento to Torbole, bimble down the lake side, set up camp at Assenza, then stroll down to Franco's bar.

Spent a couple of days there, hydrating, then off to ride a few passes in the Dolomites before heading off back via my favourite, the Timmelsjoch.

Me & the missus rode the Bonnette back in 2008, that was great but also busy, not as tight as the Stelvio. Might have found it easier 'cos we were on the ST1050. Lower C of G helps.
« Last Edit: 16 January, 2019, 08:52:19 PM by Paul2bikes »
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gogs Alba

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #24 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:41:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigermike [+]
View from the top of the Stelvio when you got off the bike was awesome  :020:
you were lucky to have a pretty much empty road going up & down, not sure i would want to attempt it with a busy road especially on all those hairpins where you have to use both sides of the road to get round  :005:

It is a sight to behold for sure.... The mist was rolling in and it was ever so quiet.... loved the solitude....  as many other will attest to, it can get ridiculously busy...  I believe in making your own luck  in most cases anyway.. but definetely in choosing to ride early doors over the passes... as you mentioned, full use of the road makes the journey more enjoyable , easier on the limbs and less taxing on the old brain cells.....

Filling up the tank the night before, moderating the alcohol intake and re setting suspension for solo unloaded rides... certainly helps ... works for me anyway..   :028:

Offline Gogs Alba

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #25 on: 16 January, 2019, 08:59:48 PM »

Like I said, dropped down the Stelvio to Merano, then got stuck in traffic going nowhere until an Italian biker came past down the hard shoulder at 60mph, so seemed a good idea to tag onto him. Cut off to Torbole, bimble down the lake side, set up camp at Assenza, then stroll down to Franco's bar.

Spent a couple of days there, hydrating, then off to ride a few passes in the Dolomites before heading off back via my favourite, the Timmelsjoch.

Me & the missus rode the Bonnette back in 2008, that was great but also busy, not as tight as the Stelvio. Might have found it easier 'cos we were on the ST1050. Lower C of G helps.

Ah yes , so you did... Merano down.... Yup follow the locals... did the same in Slovenia... hard shoulder riding and the fine better than frying your engine and brain... :028: sounds like you deserved the hydration timeout...
The timmelsjoch is a brammer of a route .. one of my favorite also... i stayed over on the Austrian side in Umhausen on that tour... such a joy to ride ... was too early for the museum for me... but the ride was superb....

You are right - lower centre of Gravity certainly helps.. ST would have been better than the tiger loaded - it is a big heavy girl the Tiger.. two up and fully loaded ( Ohlins rear and fat boy springs on the front was a must for me..)  everything is a balance and comprise though eh... The Bonnette....sounds grand , i  missed that this year as i had to turn south east over Col' d Iseran - over Mount Cenis and down to Turin...  will catch it next time... hopefully..... in fact stuff hopefully, definetely  :038:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #26 on: 16 January, 2019, 09:55:14 PM »
Rode the 'Iseran back in 2000, thought it was the highest, then found out the Bonnette was higher so had to go back & ride that. Did it for our hols for a few years, the Forclaz, Mont Cenis, the Aravis, etc. Went over the Grimsel & down the valley past the Eiger & Matterhorn on that trip in 2015 to Doussard, Lake Annecy, then across via the passes to the Stelvio. On the Cormet de Roselend there was a couple of boys bringing a herd of cows up, we got stuck in the middle with cows noseying and nudging the bike, bit unnerving, then the next 1/2 mile of the pass was covered in cow muck, slippery as diesel. On the way home camped at Nassereith in Austria then Fern pass into Germany & the B500. You're giving me itchy feet here. How was Slovenia? Peed down when we went in 2012, hailstones stopped us in the hills, like ballbearings.

'Iseran 2000

Timmelsjoch 1st time in 1999, rode it several times since but never like that.

Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gogs Alba

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #27 on: 16 January, 2019, 10:39:20 PM »
Rode the 'Iseran back in 2000, thought it was the highest, then found out the Bonnette was higher so had to go back & ride that. Did it for our hols for a few years, the Forclaz, Mont Cenis, the Aravis, etc. Went over the Grimsel & down the valley past the Eiger & Matterhorn on that trip in 2015 to Doussard, Lake Annecy, then across via the passes to the Stelvio. On the Cormet de Roselend there was a couple of boys bringing a herd of cows up, we got stuck in the middle with cows noseying and nudging the bike, bit unnerving, then the next 1/2 mile of the pass was covered in cow muck, slippery as diesel. On the way home camped at Nassereith in Austria then Fern pass into Germany & the B500. You're giving me itchy feet here. How was Slovenia? Peed down when we went in 2012, hailstones stopped us in the hills, like ballbearings.

Cracking Photos... Aye.. thought it was one of the highest also... didnt do Forclaz... but did have a great run over Cenis down to susa... Pilot 5's earnt their stripes ... amazing grip and enough wiggle to remind me of the P3's ..  I like the 'had to go back and ride comment... it is becoming an OCD  of not wanting to miss a great route that may run parrarrel to the one i chose.... all in the planning eh....

Cormet de Roseland... think i came up from the Bourg de St Maurice side....tight twitchy and utterly engrossing road... never came upon any Steaks with horns...thank god....but plenty of keech though... :169:

Slovenia is a gem of a country... like you i passed through before - twice... lots of rain- not boulders of hail though...phew..   but last summer stayed in  a double base way... down in the Soca Valley  and up Log Pod Mangartum - so i could ride up 'Mangart'  07;00 breakfast up top at the refuge..... loved riding around the Triglav national park and up to Lake Bled over the Cryge pass... ( memory of that from 2015... different from riding the reality fully loaded - two up.... hard work..  but roads round Bovec ... the whole park was like riding in Scotland on worse roads in some places but stunning scenery, lovely people and good wine..... i was there for 4 days... within the month tour... a holiday within a holiday my good lady stated.... will be back for longer next time...
Giving myself itchy feet as well...... lol ....  roll on the spring ....

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #28 on: 17 January, 2019, 08:41:24 AM »
Great pics. I love the touring, shame my missus won't do it anymore, we used to go some great places. We got hung up on the Verdon gorge area for a few years. Camped at Castellane on route Napoleon.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Gogs Alba

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #29 on: 17 January, 2019, 08:57:15 PM »
Great pics. I love the touring, shame my missus won't do it anymore, we used to go some great places. We got hung up on the Verdon gorge area for a few years. Camped at Castellane on route Napoleon.

I missnamed a part of Slovenia- the Kranska Gora was the area within the Triglav National park... awesome..  yes it sounds as if you have toured extensively for years.... youll have thousands of photos i imagine..  Bummer about the missus...  dont want to pry, but if its the long motorway miles to and from the sweet riding areas in Europe, there is always Bikeshuttle from Northhampton - they have the Geneva and now Tolouse pick up and drop off points.... Using these guys has saved me ( as im further up the country) 4 days , two there and two back.

Not for everyone i know, but i hate motorways with a vengance.... my tour to Poland, i never touched one until the return leg  from Kracow...  My girl wasnt well and all the motorwy mileage wouldve been torture for her...

I havent been through the Verdon gorge on a bike as yet, will do next time im anywhere near... if you went back year after year it must have been special :028: