Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Factory Power socket usable for battery tending?  (Read 481 times)

Offline mrdarrah

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Washington, DC
Factory Power socket usable for battery tending?
« on: 11 January, 2019, 03:17:34 AM »
I've been having a hard time finding good info on the factory installed 'Powerlet' auxiliary power outlet on the left side of my engine (2007 Tiger 1050).

1) Is that circuit linked to ignition or always hot?
2) Has anyone ever considered using it as a battery tender connection?

I live and commute daily in a reasonably cold area  :190:, and fumbling with my current battery tender pigtail with gloves on every morning is a real pain in the :232:.  I'd rather not add another new circuit and install another Powerlet adapter (especially since they want a pretty penny for them) if I can somehow adapt and use the current one. 

For clarity, I'm only talking about a trickle charger, up to 1.5 amps I believe, max, so I would think wiring/fuses wouldn't be an issue. 

Thanks for any tips!

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
Re: Factory Power socket usable for battery tending?
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2019, 06:30:15 AM »
That' s the Hella AUX port right?

Mine's always live on my and I use it to charge my phone, as well as plug in a tender.

:031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2019, 07:38:31 AM »
The accessory socket on my 2013 TS is always live, regardless of what the ignition switch is set to.    Plenty of people using them for trickle charges too.

Since you say you use it every day, Im curious as to why you are charging it every night.    A bike shouldnt need a battery tender on it unless youre leaving it for a while.    Ive left mine several weeks without charging, and it fires right up.   I dont have an alarm though.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2019, 08:00:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
The accessory socket on my 2013 TS is always live, regardless of what the ignition switch is set to.    Plenty of people using them for trickle charges too.

Since you say you use it every day, Im curious as to why you are charging it every night.    A bike shouldnt need a battery tender on it unless youre leaving it for a while.    Ive left mine several weeks without charging, and it fires right up.   I dont have an alarm though.

Unless hes doing a really short commute?
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2019, 10:30:36 AM »
I use either the optimate battery tail of the Hella/Din socket for charging me gadgets & charging the battery. I use an optimate converter lead for charging battery using Din socket.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TM72-OptiMate-AccuMate-Cig-DIN-Plug-Lead/111586954291?hash=item19fb19cc33:g:yc4AAOSwxYxUy5c2:rk:16:pf:0
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2019, 10:45:51 AM »
As others have said,, that connector (Powerlet/DIN/Hella/BMW) is always live, and ideal for connecting up trickle chargers, which is what many of us do. I believe it is fused though, so if it is not working, you may want to check the accessory fuse (sorry, forget the number, but it's in the user handbook somewhere).

Offline mrdarrah

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Washington, DC
« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2019, 03:58:38 AM »
 :046: :046:

Thank you all for the quick replies, that's great news.  I didn't know Hella/BMW/Powerlet were all the same, that'll help in finding the right cord for my Optimate as well (thanks for the link to UK eBay, but I'm in the states!)

I haven't used the port for anything, so I don't know if it works, but it appears factory installed/wired, so I'm hopeful it will only need a new fuse if anything.

Mike_B, I had a LOT of starting problems over the past year, I ride in sometimes heavy traffic for only 10-15 miles most days, and I definitely see starting performance drop when it's below freezing (commute on it year round) so I keep it on an Optimate all the time to eliminate that as an issue.  Most days it probably doesn't need it; I have a voltmeter and can see it charges well when riding, but I don't want to take any chances since it's my primary transportation. 

Thanks again!   :031: