Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Keis heated waistcoat question  (Read 661 times)

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Re: Keis heated waistcoat question
« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2019, 11:24:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
That is my understanding of the way it works too.   The aux plugs are indeed just pass-throughs, and the controller only affects the heat pads inside the vest itself.

Seems to me that it would be better to make the controller properly waterproof and have it on some sort of lanyard, outside the jacket.   The police riders have similar equipment (I assume comms, but could be anything) so I guess it works OK like that for them.   Tucking the controller in that little pocket means every time you fill up you need to unzip your main jacket, plug into the power and set the temp, then zip it all up again before riding off.   That is a bit of a faff.
Yup - they are pass through. Found the small print on the labels inside the jacket when I went looking for it. The controller definitely works on the insoles cos that's all I used to have. Really don't want separate controllers so hope my idea works.

Good news if you mix and match. Keis have finally acknowleged that there are other vendors and now do an adaptor cable (Keis -> generic, which really means Keis -> Gerbing). I have a dual channel Gerbing controller with one free channel. Reason I'll be trying that is the Gerbing controller remembers the previous setting the next time you turn it on. The controller is switched but I only need to plug in and go (unless of course today's weather is very different to yesterday's), and no issues when stopping for fuel.

Never had a problem with mine mounted on the frame. I never park outdoors and that part of the bike doesn't get much water when riding. And its got my leg to protect it.
« Last Edit: 07 January, 2019, 11:30:30 PM by seangee »
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #11 on: 08 January, 2019, 10:04:12 PM »
Never got to try it because  :034: I managed to mislay the patch cable between Christmas and now. I did phone Keis though to order a new one (4).
They confirmed I was right and putting the controller between the bike and jacket would mean everything would be controlled - but you are restricted to the same setting for everything if you want to use a single controller.
I also gave them feedback that you lot (plus me) found it annoying that you had to turn it back on and fiddle with the switch every time you started the bike. Thought they would be more likely to listen than if it was just me  :164:

They couldn't (or wouldn't) confirm if it would work with the Gerbing controller. I'll let you know when the cable arrives.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #12 on: 09 January, 2019, 09:12:37 PM »
Just in case anyone cares...

Keis jacket and insoles work with the Gerbing controller with the correct adaptor lead. So I have gone from two devices (gloves + insoles) and 2 controllers to 3 devices and 1 controller. And it remembers previous settings so I can just plug in and ride.
Great result. When I bought the insoles I googled everywhere and found you could do this but no ready made cables. I did make my own using plugs bought from Maplins but their plugs were so flimsy (and not waterproof) it was a non starter for connecting in gloves and disconnecting by my preferred method - i.e. just get of the bike with the wires still attached  :745:
Won't remove my Keis socket just yet until I confirm the same setting is ok for gloves and boots.

Here is the adaptor https://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/generic-male-to-keis-female/. They also do one that goes the other way in case you want to connect Gerbing accessories to your Keis jacket  :028:

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #13 on: 09 January, 2019, 11:01:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Won't remove my Keis socket just yet until I confirm the same setting is ok for gloves and boots.
Whoops - I meant jacket and boots. one channel for my Gerbing gloves and the other for the Keis gear

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #14 on: 13 January, 2019, 09:39:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]

Here is the adaptor https://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/generic-male-to-keis-female/. They also do one that goes the other way in case you want to connect Gerbing accessories to your Keis jacket  :028:

So are you using a Gerbing lead from the battery?   Otherwise wouldnt you need two of those to switch between Keis and Gerbing size plugs, one on each side on the controller?

The idea of a controller that remains on and in the right power mode even after being unplugged has appeal, since I fill up with fuel at least twice a week...    be a faff messing around turning it all on again afterwards.   Maybe if Im feeling flush one month...   just not right after Christmas!!

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #15 on: 13 January, 2019, 10:25:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
So are you using a Gerbing lead from the battery?   Otherwise wouldnt you need two of those to switch between Keis and Gerbing size plugs, one on each side on the controller?

The idea of a controller that remains on and in the right power mode even after being unplugged has appeal, since I fill up with fuel at least twice a week...    be a faff messing around turning it all on again afterwards.   Maybe if Im feeling flush one month...   just not right after Christmas!!
Yeah - I already had one of each going from a fuzeblock. Bought the Gerbing gloves first and then decided I preferred insoles to socks for my feet so those were Keis. Gloves came with a "junior controller" - all in one so you had to trail it behond you when you got off the bike and kept getting it tangled in the office chair. So some time ago I bought the dual channel controller.

Of course it goes without saying that if you start sticking extra heating elements onto an existing circuit (assuming you were diligent in the first place) you really should re-calculate your fuse requirements  :164: