Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: OEM heated grips usually only working on High  (Read 270 times)

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
OEM heated grips usually only working on High
« on: 06 January, 2019, 04:54:31 PM »
Hi all,

Curious one - my heated grips, the OEM ones that have been on since new, have recently only been working on the High setting.   This has occasionally been an issue for a long time, but rocking the switch back and forth usually gets it working OK so I've not done anything with it.

Both grips work, just only on the one setting.   On the high setting, they both get equally hot (which is too hot in slow traffic), and on the low setting, both of them go completely cold.   On the increasingly rare occasions that the warm setting works, both get equally warm.   So I'm assuming that the grips themselves are both fine, which means the relay or the switch is at fault.  The bit I don't know is how it changes between the two settings - I'm not sure whether it's the switch itself that causes a different amount of current to go to the grips, or whether the relay flips between two positions and sends power to different heating elements within the grips.   I've read posts in the past that suggest it could be either.   The only clue I've found is in the fitting instructions for the kit, which has the following statement in bold type:

Note:
The operating switch cable has been supplied to a specific length, the resistance within the wires being critical to the correct operation of the heated grips circuit, and must not be shortened.

Which suggests that it's actually the cables between switch and relay which controls the amount of power reaching the grips, and in turn suggests that a new switch (which comes with that cable) would fix it.

Anyone had anything similar, or can offer any advice?

Cheers,
Mike

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: OEM heated grips usually only working on High
« Reply #1 on: 06 January, 2019, 06:05:06 PM »
Yep, it's the cables themselves. One of them (which feeds the low setting) is not a straightforward copper conductor, but a resistance wire. It can fail, which means a new switch and harness usually (from Triumph).

This is really poor design (IMO), because it can be a fire risk also if one of the connectors to the grips fail. If you keep using it, the resistance wire gets so hot it melts the harness (ask me how I know!).

If you are confident with electricals, you can replace the resistance wire with ordinary, and wire in a heavy-duty resistor instead. But it needs to be heavy-duty and mounted on the headstock somewhere, as will get hot. This is what I did. Sorry I forget the value. You'll have to experiment, but it's only about 5 ohms or so, try experimenting with different values to get the right heat on the grips.

Good luck.

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Re: OEM heated grips usually only working on High
« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2019, 08:16:31 PM »
New switch with attached cables arrived yesterday, so I fitted it last night.   Not too difficult a job, just more time consuming than you'd think as you have to remove all the plastics from the front, as the connector is tucked up well out of finger reach, right between the two headlights.

Tested it last night in the garage, and done two journeys since, and so far it's worked perfectly three times out of three.   Fingers crossed it stays like it, but it's a promising start...

Thanks for the confirmation on how it works, much appreciated - narrowed it right down to the switch or it's attached cables immediately.    :002: