Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Well that was a slap in the face.  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Re: Well that was a slap in the face.
« Reply #10 on: 05 January, 2019, 08:24:20 PM »
Buying bikes new is a mugs game.   I bought mine for roughly 10k (I forget exactly) but after five years it can't be worth much more than 3500.   46k miles and rising, and although it's mechanically very solid, all year riding takes its toll on the cosmetic stuff like bolts.   Add everything up together and I am looking at over 4k a year all in, with fuel, tyres, consumables, servicing and parts, insurance etc etc.   Not much less than the extortionate cost of getting the train to work!!

I'm not sure the mileage makes much different beyond a certain point.   After 5 years old I think you get a different sort of buyer, who looks at condition more than the odometer, and buys bikes on price.   If mine had 20k rather than 46k on it, would it really be worth massively more?   Not really.   Maybe 4k instead of 3k, if I was lucky, that's only a couple of hundred quid a year difference.

Will probably keep it until it dies now, if I continue to look after it mechanically, hopefully that's many years away yet and the cost differential to the train will slowly get larger.   Fuel already costs me more than depreciation does, on an annual basis.

Offline philm44

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport - 2016
  • City / Town: Gravesend
Re: Well that was a slap in the face.
« Reply #11 on: 05 January, 2019, 09:09:02 PM »
That's a very good point Mike. My 2106 TS is a fantastic bike and there's nothing else in Triumph's current  range that I would replace it with. Should the rumoured updated TS break cover things may change, but at the moment I'm more than happy with what I've got  (except the poxy mirrors !!!)