Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Well that was a slap in the face.  (Read 797 times)

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Well that was a slap in the face.
« on: 04 January, 2019, 05:33:19 PM »
Wondering around the dealership today not feeling particularly well disposed toward my bike after this morning's battery woes. Was chatting to the bloke that sold me my bike and casually asked how much I would have to stump up for the nearly new fully loaded 1200XRt on the forecourt. It was a Triumph owned bike with 1500 miles on the clock and 2k off the list price.

Well they offered me the princely sum of 4.7K on my TS. I knew that doing over 30k in just over 2 years would  hammer the valuation - but did not expect it to be that bad. End result is I would have to pay a few hundred s more for the 1200 than I originally paid for the TS. Guess I will be riding it for a few more years after all.

And in case you think my bike looks like a winter hack another customer at the dealership asked if I only used it on sunny weekends and was pretty surprised when I told him the mileage and that it gets used nearly every day of the year. Ok ok it did get a wash over the break  :164:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: Well that was a slap in the face.
« Reply #1 on: 04 January, 2019, 06:03:16 PM »
4.7K - that's not just a slap in the face, its a kick in the nadgers with hobnailed boots and a kick up the arris at the same time  :005:
If you had of taken it it would have gone on the forecourt at at least 8.5k  :232:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #2 on: 04 January, 2019, 06:30:24 PM »
They don't want them with more than 20k on. I took my ST955 in with 50k, salesman just laughed at it, said what am I gonna do with that. It was mint, won best Hinckley the follo0wing year at a rally. The dealer had a right dog on forecourt a year older same model at 3995 looked like it'd been pulled out of a river, he said aah yes but it's only done half the miles yours has.

If they've done over 20k, best run um into the ground & buy another for best.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline philm44

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport - 2016
  • City / Town: Gravesend
« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2019, 06:57:36 PM »
My '09 Tiger 1050 had covered 24K when I px'd it for a new 2013 TS.
My dealer, Carl Rosner, apologised and said they could only give me 4,000 because although the bike was in very good condition and they had looked after it from day one, most prospective customers viewed the mileage as too high. It also needed the 24K service and two new tyres.
I was actually quite pleased with 4,000!!!!

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #4 on: 04 January, 2019, 07:20:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
They don't want them with more than 20k on. I took my ST955 in with 50k, salesman just laughed at it, said what am I gonna do with that. It was mint, won best Hinckley the follo0wing year at a rally. The dealer had a right dog on forecourt a year older same model at 3995 looked like it'd been pulled out of a river, he said aah yes but it's only done half the miles yours has.

Think that's exactly what I'll do. Its worth a damn sight more than that to me and I'm not expecting my mileage to go down any time soon, so changing it will only throw more money away.  Been an expensive couple of months with wear and tear stuff all coming at once but now have
  • 3 new discs (+6 pads)
  • Battery
  • C&S
  • Fork valves (ok not wear and tear but turned it into a much nicer bike  :009:)
Was actually booked in for headstock bearings today as I chickened out of doing those myself. Too late by the time I got to the dealer so re-scheduled for 2 weeks time. Still a lot cheaper than replacing the bike and should see me through many thousand more miles. By the time I wear out the motor I'll probably want a change anyway, and if anythng really takes my fancy before that I will have got my money's worth.

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 955
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2019, 07:54:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]

Oh yes penny dropped with me 20 years ago and havent sold a bike since just buy  em and have a bike food chain depending on where we are going and the the weather.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2019, 09:48:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Oh yes penny dropped with me 20 years ago and havent sold a bike since just buy  em and have a bike food chain depending on where we are going and the the weather.

:0461: My view is that after 50,000Km, the vehicle has well and truly paid for itself.

AND if you factor in the alternative price of public transport  :005:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Winger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 955
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2019, 10:27:23 PM »
Bought my 955 in 2001 so this April ive Had it 18 years cost 7200 there was a time when it was my frontline bike and is now well down the pecking order worth absolutely nothing and not exactly stock but can still get the job done as and when.

The penny dropped when id Just paid 2500 and p/x my 885i for my 955 and afterwards thought jeeze if im Paying two and a half grand every two years after 6 id Have saved 7500 and still have my original Tiger and thats exactly what I have done.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2019, 11:28:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
:0461: My view is that after 50,000Km, the vehicle has well and truly paid for itself.

AND if you factor in the alternative price of public transport  :005:
Pretty sure it has (and yes I know 30k miles = 50k kms).
Never added it up but I guess 25k of those are reclaimable business miles. Sure I claim it from myself but I do so before I pay tax on it. And if I chose the public transport route I would pay out as much (if not more) and be left with nothing but a pile of worthless tickets for my troubles. Don't need to factor in insurance, tax etc cos I would have a bike anyway and have to pay those.

No wait I have an accounts system. Since I have had the Sport I have claimed 16k in mileage. In the same time I have paid around 3k for petrol. 4.7k realisable asset so I'm quids in.
Still think I'll hang on to it though  :745:
« Last Edit: 04 January, 2019, 11:32:11 PM by seangee »

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2019, 03:27:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Pretty sure it has (and yes I know 30k miles = 50k kms).
Never added it up but I guess 25k of those are reclaimable business miles. Sure I claim it from myself but I do so before I pay tax on it. And if I chose the public transport route I would pay out as much (if not more) and be left with nothing but a pile of worthless tickets for my troubles. Don't need to factor in insurance, tax etc cos I would have a bike anyway and have to pay those.

No wait I have an accounts system. Since I have had the Sport I have claimed 16k in mileage. In the same time I have paid around 3k for petrol. 4.7k realisable asset so I'm quids in.
Still think I'll hang on to it though  :745:

With those numbers, it sounds like you could run a second bike too  :062:

You could split the mileage and hence reduce the depreciation  :033:

Perhaps you could then change your name to Sean2BikesGee  :164:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8