Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger Sport headlight conversion finally fails!  (Read 817 times)

Offline Tunnel Rat 2

• Tiger Member
Tiger Sport headlight conversion finally fails!
« on: 02 January, 2019, 05:26:49 PM »
So over recent weeks my indicators had started playing up.
They didnt fail totally, but would flicker and falter a bit before either coming in correctly or failing all together.
The sidelights also started looking very dim and when the indicators were working the sidelights would occasionally flicker at the same frequency as the indicator flash.
Took the handlebar switch apart, cleaned it, reassembled.....no change.
Likewise the indicator flasher unit.

So, I finally caved in and simply called the RAC to come and look at it under Home Start cover on the basis it had become unrideable due to the failed/failing indicators.

Technician turns up on time (I requested a specific time as opposed to a ASAP call-out) and he initially suspected the bar switch as the symptom would occur when that was the only thing being operated.
But, he took the time to have a look at the flasher unit (with a bit of guidance removing the fairings).
In getting the nose cone off the two relays of the Tiger Sport upgrade loom were disturbed at which point the sidelights recovered to full brightness and the indicators (which had been left on) sprang in to life.
Wiggling the ignition-switched supply relay for the headlights caused the fault to reoccur.
On dragging the loom out to inspect it further, the live feed to the switched supply relay simply pulled out of the relay block, leaving the spade terminal in the block.
How the headlights themselves remained totally unaffected throughout all of this is a total mystery.
RAC man crimped a new terminal on the errant cable, reinserted it in to the relay block and all is good again.

Just weird.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Tiger Sport headlight conversion finally fails!
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2019, 05:30:42 PM »
Typical fault. I've seen some very poor electrical work on those pre-assembled relay mounts. Now I check each terminal before installing ...

Offline Tunnel Rat 2

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: 02 January, 2019, 06:00:53 PM »
Indeed. The bit I cant get my head round is how a circuit that goes nowhere near the symptoms had such a severe effect.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #3 on: 02 January, 2019, 06:32:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tunnel Rat 2 [+]
On dragging the loom out to inspect it further, the live feed to the switched supply relay simply pulled out of the relay block, leaving the spade terminal in the block.
How the headlights themselves remained totally unaffected throughout all of this is a total mystery.
RAC man crimped a new terminal on the errant cable, reinserted it in to the relay block and all is good again.

Just weird.

I hate it when the problem comes down to quality of manufacture.

Did you install the loom yourself?

Thanks for answering my next question about whether I should go with the RAC or the AA  :152:

2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Tunnel Rat 2

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: 02 January, 2019, 09:21:00 PM »
The loom is self-built. I consider myself competent enough, having spent 24 years in military aviation, half of that doing hands-on engineering.
The weak link was the quality of the bits I used, although I find so often its hard to judge how good something is until it fails.
Granted theres the option to seek out a commercial/professional supplier but the associated cost and minimum order quantities tend to make that a non-starter for the average DIYer.
It seems small-volume hobbyist materials are just cheap Chinese crap mostly nowadays.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #5 on: 02 January, 2019, 11:53:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tunnel Rat 2 [+]
The loom is self-built. I consider myself competent enough, having spent 24 years in military aviation, half of that doing hands-on engineering.

Far better qualified than just about everyone else then  :028:

That was pretty amazing result, that you found an RAC engineer, with such ability.

I hate it when crimps and joins fail. I used to run an IT business and as the quality of components started to drop off badly, in the mid to late 1990s, so I started manufacturing & remaking components myself, for mission critical applications.

I don't have the patience, eyesight, or steadiness of hand, to do that stuff myself, these days  :003:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Online Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #6 on: 02 January, 2019, 11:58:11 PM »
From 1st read thought you had one of the loom kits that tallaltiger was selling a couple of years ago on the forum, can't remember how many sets he sold but they appear to have sold like hotcakes
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2019, 05:29:26 AM »
Your subject line was a bit misleading too. The conversion did not fail, really, right? Just a crimp. Which is why I used Posi-connectors for my conversion and industrial Omron-type relays instead of automotive cubes when I did mine. I admit my conversion was very complex (switched feeds, split supplies, 3 relays total) as this is my line of work but done with care it can easily exceed the OEM reliability. My conversion remains flawless and fault free after 5 years.

Offline Tunnel Rat 2

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2019, 07:55:19 AM »
Fair point about the subject line.
Perhaps my point is that the extra wiring does have an odd effect on other circuits.
As the RAC man commented, theres no telling exactly how a main loom is put together, and its not uncommon for the wiring diagram to be just that - a schematic of the electrical layout, not the physical one.
The slightly worrying part for me is that although the failure was a connector within the headlight conversion, it manifested itself in part of the lighting that, going by the wiring diagram, is on a totally different branch of the main loom.

Offline Tunnel Rat 2

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2019, 08:02:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by ZuluTiger [+]
.....I used Posi-connectors for my conversion and industrial Omron-type relays instead of automotive cubes when I did mine....
....this is my line of work....
That supports my point above.
Id love to spend on professional grade tooling but unless theres a LOT to be done, things like crimping tools and the associated consumables can work out very costly per connector if only used for one or two jobs.
I only recently acquired a riveter on that basis, and so far the rivets I have inserted using it are working out at several Pounds each!