Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: So much for the series R/R theory  (Read 488 times)

Offline Nods

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Red Tiger SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
So much for the series R/R theory
« on: 23 December, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »
Greetings All, good to see some familiar names still active here after I've been MIA for a while.  Hope you've all been enjoying your Tigers.

A while back I was asking about R/R upgrades, and I went for a SH775 series R/R from roadstercycle.com with the idea being that a series type should help prolong the life of the stator.  Quite a few posts have been made about stators failing.

I had the original stator fail last week, with 48,000km on the clock.  Not sure if stators can start the process of failing a long time before they actually let go, but mine seemed to let go in a hurry.  I've got a voltmeter installed and my bike is normally on 14.1V during normal riding.  I road to work and didn't notice the voltmeter dropping, but maybe I was concentrating too hard on the traffic.  Bike wouldn't start for the trip to my sons school event after work with a flat battery, but I managed to jump it with the power pack I keep under the seat.

Then I took notice of the voltmeter - sitting on about 9-10 volts for the 30 minute trip.  After the school event the bike wouldn't start again, and my power pack seemed to be only good for one start.  Tried clutch starting down the carpark ramp in 3rd and it locked up, flicked to 4th, then 5th but damn these bikes have some compression and the back wheel wouldn't grip on the smooth concrete.

Called roadside assistance, and the guy jump started me and put his multi meter on the terminals and didn't recommend I do the 60km trip home as he didn't think I'd make it.  I ran the gauntlet after hearing stories on this forum of bikes going 1000 miles after the first sign of stator failure.  My voltmeter got down to 8 volts while in traffic, then up to 9.3v and stabilised there when I got on the motorway.  My headlights were very dim for the duration of the ride.

Managed to get home, and the next day my battery had about 5 volts in it.  I charged it back up but I think it's toast.  It's a couple of years old.

So I replaced the stator with a Ricks Motorsports Electric today.  Even though the battery is reading 12.6v, it couldn't start the bike as it was cranking too slow.  I started the bike with my power pack and the voltmeter is back up to a healthy 13.6v at idle.

So moral of the story, I suggest going with the mosfet type FH020AA R/R rather than the series (if you want/need to upgrade).  I noticed Ricks has an updated series R/R on the website now, not sure if this is any better.  The SH775 series model is still using the 60's tech SCR's (Jack Fleming of Ricks Motorsports words).

I'll get the local battery shop to load test the battery tomorrow and I'll most likely be buying a new one, then I have a long ride planned a few days after Christmas to see how things settle in.

OEM Stator has only one of the spiral-wire-thingy's burnt:

The new after market stator from Ricks (with the low profile cup-head bolts supplied, to prevent fouling on the rotor)

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
Re: So much for the series R/R theory
« Reply #1 on: 23 December, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »
13.6v at idle doesn't sound good either, considering it should be 14.5v +- 0.5v

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #2 on: 23 December, 2018, 03:11:20 PM »
The coil failure at 9 O'clock position (from outside) is fairly common
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #3 on: 23 December, 2018, 03:13:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
13.6v at idle doesn't sound good either, considering it should be 14.5v +- 0.5v

IIRC, Isn't 13.6v good at idle & 14.5v good at 3k rpm's.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2018, 03:15:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
The coil failure at 9 O'clock position (from outside) is fairly common

Any reason for that? I know nowt, never had one go....now what'll happen.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #5 on: 23 December, 2018, 04:18:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Any reason for that? I know nowt, never had one go....now what'll happen.

The theory is that at that position it gets less cooling, not sure of reason though

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #6 on: 23 December, 2018, 04:32:59 PM »
Mine went in a slightly different position recently, was advised by the god folks on here that its because the oil feed into the left side of the engine was lower down so not as much oil higher up to cool the entire stator
https://cdn.img.tiger-sport.com/20181117_143517.jpg
Was advised that it was my R\R so changed that first for an electrex one   :157:
This was my replacement
https://cdn.img.tiger-sport.com/20181117_161018.jpg
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #7 on: 23 December, 2018, 04:38:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
The theory is that at that position it gets less cooling, not sure of reason though

Hmmm, odd being at 9 0'clock innit. I wonder if it's owt to do with oil level being at that point.

Edit
Just seen Tigemike's post above, likely to do with oil level then innit.
« Last Edit: 23 December, 2018, 04:41:49 PM by Paul2bikes »
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #8 on: 23 December, 2018, 04:41:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tigermike [+]
Mine went in a slightly different position recently, was advised by the god folks on here that its because the oil feed into the left side of the engine was lower down so not as much oil higher up to cool the entire stator
https://cdn.img.tiger-sport.com/20181117_143517.jpg
Was advised that it was my R\R so changed that first for an electrex one   :157:
This was my replacement
https://cdn.img.tiger-sport.com/20181117_161018.jpg

Yep, top or 9 O'clock seems to be the usual places. Original oil feed came straight through the Crank bolt, its now higher up to help

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #9 on: 24 December, 2018, 04:52:08 AM »
Hi Nods, good to hear from you. Gotta admit I was a little concerned since I've tried to contact you on more than one occasion, as has Buzzard, with no success.