Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Weird power cut  (Read 424 times)

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
Weird power cut
« on: 22 December, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »
One night this week when I got to my bike I noticed the clock and trip meter had reset, as if I had disconnected the battery. Working backwards from the clock and trip setting I concluded that this had probably happened while crossing a ford on the way to work (east end of the embankment just before Blackfriars so no practical way to avoid it) but in fairness it was pi$$ing it down all the way in and even worse the night before. Bike never even blipped and no problems starting after so I assumed water had got somewhere it shouldn't and then gone away again.

Friday I worked from home so nipped out at lunch time and pointed a hosepipe at the bike. Started it up and put it back in the garage after a trundle up and down the lane with no lid or earplugs just to check everything sounded ok.

Going on a ride tomorrow so this afternoon I went to get some petrol. Bike wouldn't start. Pretty much exactly as if I had a duff battery. Before connecting the charger I put it in gear and rocked it just in case ...
4 Hours later and it started at the first attempt, but the clocks had reset again. Started again when I left the petrol station, and again when I stopped on the drive to open the garage.

Two questions:
  • Does the reset mean a total loss of power or does that happen if the battery gets low
  • Any known areas where water / moisture might accumulate that I should check? - already checked the battery connections and all is well there
:084:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Weird power cut
« Reply #1 on: 22 December, 2018, 10:03:35 PM »
Nothing obvious springs to mind, but the ECU is under the seat tray, and there's a big opening underneath towards the rear wheel that I've never liked. All I can say is don't point a hosepipe or jetwash up from underneath by the rear wheel!

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #2 on: 22 December, 2018, 10:22:25 PM »
Have a look at the battery cables and main fuse on the solenoid
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #3 on: 22 December, 2018, 11:21:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Nothing obvious springs to mind, but the ECU is under the seat tray, and there's a big opening underneath towards the rear wheel that I've never liked. All I can say is don't point a hosepipe or jetwash up from underneath by the rear wheel!
Sounds like a good place to start. The underseat and shock areas get pretty manky so there certainly was a hosepipe pointed in that direction.
Oh well - next weeks maintenance schedule is starting to look quite full.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #4 on: 23 December, 2018, 01:54:29 AM »
I have had a total reset, after some silly Herbert left the Bluetooth dongle connected for about 6 days. No idea as to who it might have been but... :164:

I managed to jump start it. Nothing worked for a few Ks. Not even the rev counter. Soon righted itself and, after an hour's drive,  I parked it at the top of a hill, just in case. Started first go.

Your battery must have been really low, or you have a poor connection.
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #5 on: 24 December, 2018, 04:55:06 AM »
Loose battery terminals.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.