Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Gauge issue  (Read 371 times)

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Fuel Gauge issue
« on: 20 December, 2018, 01:34:22 PM »
Last 2 fill ups or so have had issues with the fuel gauge, I use the Tiger as a Commuter and do 100 ish mile a day so have to fill up every 2nd day.
Tank normally takes 17.8 to 18.6 litres to fill up to the brim on the centre stand depending on how spirited the ride has been  :123:
last couple f time s i filled up the bars on the gauge only go up to 3 or 4 bars from full & miles to go says about 160miles once i have riden the 1/2 mile home from the petrol station  :187:
also next morning it doesnt increase to full bars no matter how far i ride?
this morning it was giving me 144 miles to empty & was 125 miles when i got to work after approx 50 miles.. HUH I know the gauge sometimes takes 5 or so miles to register a full tank but WTF.

any idea or advice guys?
i only use Super unleaded 97 or 98 Ron BTW
does it need some fuel cleaner, do i need to disconnect & clean the 2 plugs that connect to the float etc in the back of the tank?
 :183:  :031:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Texan Rider

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Ft Worth, Texas
Re: Fuel Gauge issue
« Reply #1 on: 20 December, 2018, 05:43:46 PM »
Fuel cleaner doesn't hurt any.  I use it regularly when I change the oil.  I also use the bike as a commuter.
It doesn't mean I won't have the same issues as you're having, but so far, so good.
Cleaning the 2 plugs wouldn't hurt either.

I also add Sea Foam to the oil about once a year.  Seems to run better after the addition.
Might start using it at every oil change.  It doesn't affect the clutch, as far as I can tell.
White Tiger Rider
"Which way you going?" they asked.
After some thought, I replied, "Doesn't matter, as long as I'm going."

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #2 on: 20 December, 2018, 05:52:42 PM »
Does sound like the float is jamming. Might be due to temperatures this time of year, or maybe even some condensation inside the tank.

Worst case you'll have to take the tank off, remove the fuel pump and float, and check for obstructions or dirt. Maybe also that it's not catching on the wires, which has been a problem on some bikes.

But before you do that, probably worth trying some lubricant in the fuel or additive of some kind, even if only a temporary solution until the Spring.

Interesting about the 97/98 fuel. I did a long cross-channel trip on Wednesday in the car, and was getting 9.4 l/100Km indicated average from a tank filled with RON 95 in Belgium. Filled up at Dover with BP 97 RON, and economy improved to 8.8! (it is quite a heavy car, and petrol also, so these figures aren't bad).

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #3 on: 20 December, 2018, 07:44:25 PM »
Thanks for the advice TR and Paulie, I will get some fuel cleaner, is  Redex still good or something else?
I will also give the 2 plugs a clean at the weekend see if that helps.

On another note has anyone had a false neutral changing up between 4th and 5th gear  :005: I had it on the way home tonight as I was overtaking a car on a B road. Green neutral light came on for a second so had to change up again quickly. Didn't appear to be any I'll effects ... None that I could see or hear anyway  :084:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Texan Rider

• Tiger God
« Reply #4 on: 20 December, 2018, 08:11:40 PM »
I get false neutrals more than I like, usually between 4 - 5, but sometimes between 3 - 4.
They're usually when I'm in a hurry.
Two reasons:  The clutch cable needs adjusting, and my foot doesn't talk to my left hand.
Mainly, though, it's the clutch not working properly.
White Tiger Rider

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #5 on: 20 December, 2018, 08:45:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Texan Rider [+]
I get false neutrals more than I like, usually between 4 - 5, but sometimes between 3 - 4.
They're usually when I'm in a hurry.
Two reasons:  The clutch cable needs adjusting, and my foot doesn't talk to my left hand.
Mainly, though, it's the clutch not working properly.
Thanks TR, glad its not just me  who needs a lesson in coordination :138:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #6 on: 20 December, 2018, 09:27:45 PM »
Had false neutrals too, occasionally. Likewise, when in a hurry and overtaking, which tells me it's probably my fault.

On the float issue, was going to suggest Redex, but don't know if the stuff is still OK or if it affects catalysers.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #7 on: 20 December, 2018, 09:50:47 PM »
Wait a minute - if the neutral light came on summat's wrong with the electrickery.
Of course there has been a bit of water about recently if you're still commuting.

I do chuck redex in mine occasionally. Redex say its fine, its ok for diesels and cats  have been around for a long time, so I have never thought about it causing any problems..
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #8 on: 20 December, 2018, 11:20:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Wait a minute - if the neutral light came on summat's wrong with the electrickery.
Of course there has been a bit of water about recently if you're still commuting.
It came on for a second when it found a neutral gear between 4th & 5th , don't suppose its linked to the fuel gauge issue  :084:

Offline Texan Rider

• Tiger God
« Reply #9 on: 21 December, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
My neutral light never comes on when I get false neutrals..... at least I don't remember...... but, I'm not really paying attention to that when I'm romping through the gears..... but I'll go with it not coming on..... something about being grey headed....
White Tiger Rider