Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2009 Tiger 1050 Battery Drain Woes  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Scotty Dog

• Tiger Member
  • City / Town: Sturminster Newton
Re: 2009 Tiger 1050 Battery Drain Woes
« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:02:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Ayup Scott  :401: m8  :031:

Has the bike got any electrical after market extras fitted? Battery sounds ok.....to me.

No, its Completely stock bud

Offline Scotty Dog

• Tiger Member
« Reply #11 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:07:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by TCC [+]
Once you sort the battery drain, and even though you just bought a new stock battery, return it and get a YTZ14S-BS. Even if they only refund you 10 bucks, do it.   
*Originally Posted by gosling 1 [+]
I agree the YTZ14S is the best choice for a conventional battery (AGM) at 230 CCA but the YT12B-BS is not as bad as the YTX12-BS the Mk1 Tigers originally came with. The YTB is rated at 210 CCA as opposed to the old YTX that has only 180 CCA. Yuasa now recommend the YTB12-BS on their website but the factory filled and sealed YTZ14S still makes more sense since it has more beans, is designed to be placed on its side, and the slightly smaller size gives some room to tuck in excess wire from electrical add ons. :001:
*Originally Posted by ZuluTiger [+]
Step back and start again. Instead of pulling fuses, disconnect your battery and put an ammeter in series with that connection to see what the total drain from the battery is. You're doing this to see whether you have a viable battery. You will then know if you need to pursue the hunt and identify a particular circuit. You can determine the delivery-life of the battery (with no charge being applied) using the current you measure and the approximate AH rating of the battery. Divide the AH rating of the battery by your current to see how long it should last. Work on 80% of this resulting in a fall no lower than 10V. Also, a fully discharged battery needs a considerable recharge to regain it's AH rating and all lead acid batteries are damaged by any deep discharge. I've read dozens of stories here about 'new batteries' being installed and problems persisting until another battery (go for at least a 14 series) is installed. But, first figure out if you have a drain - as mentioned, the alarm system (if you have one) should be first in your cross-hairs.
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Timbox is absolutely right to question the battery - I would go out and get a new one immediately. And as TCC says, the YTZ14S-BS is the one to go for.

Even when everything is ideal, the Tiger battery is on the margins IMHO as to its specification for the load. Compare other modern Triumph triples that are now fitted with 18 series batteries. So you need to make sure everything stays tip-top. Keep the bike on a smart charger whenever possible - and absolutely if you have an alarm.

Also spend some time checking through, cleaning and vaselining all the contacts in the start circuit - battery terminals, engine earth terminal (above gearbox), starter solenoid connections and the big fuse hidden in there, the starter connection and the starter relay connectors.

Do all the above and you should minimise (I cannot say completely prevent) any starting issues. Oh, and Welcome!  :405:

Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #12 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:20:30 PM »
The drain could be in the loom but I'd be looking at all the things running on the No 4 fuse first, if you're sure that is where the drain is & nothing through any other fuse. With that fuse removed is there any drain on the battery.

I'd start by disconnecting the horn, then whittle away at the rest looking for any wiring that looks a bit botched by previous owner/s.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #13 on: 07 December, 2018, 08:24:14 PM »
I guess you have checked the battery is not losing charge off the bike? To rule out a faulty battery.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #14 on: 08 December, 2018, 10:07:19 AM »
OP has said it's losing charge already from day to day. And no alarm, so looks to me a suspect battery. Only thing is anything buried in the lighting loom somewhere (fed by fuse 4), like a tracker? Or anything left plugged into the the diagnostic plug?
« Last Edit: 08 December, 2018, 10:09:15 AM by Paullie »

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #15 on: 08 December, 2018, 11:41:53 AM »
Not that common but a Reg/Rec on the way out can cause a big drain, something to do with the Diodes
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Scotty Dog

• Tiger Member
« Reply #16 on: 08 December, 2018, 12:38:04 PM »
The drain could be in the loom but I'd be looking at all the things running on the No 4 fuse first, if you're sure that is where the drain is & nothing through any other fuse. With that fuse removed is there any drain on the battery.

I'd start by disconnecting the horn, then whittle away at the rest looking for any wiring that looks a bit botched by previous owner/s.
Thank you
I guess you have checked the battery is not losing charge off the bike? To rule out a faulty battery.
we shall give that another go for another 24 or 48 hours
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
OP has said it's losing charge already from day to day. And no alarm, so looks to me a suspect battery. Only thing is anything buried in the lighting loom somewhere (fed by fuse 4), like a tracker? Or anything left plugged into the the diagnostic plug?
We shall have to run the all the wires for fuse 4. no tracker and nothing in the diag plg
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Not that common but a Reg/Rec on the way out can cause a big drain, something to do with the Diodes
We have read about that, but when we had it running it never got hot, but how would we check the Reg/rec ?

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #17 on: 08 December, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »
Hi Scott, good luck with it & please keep us informed as ya go.

You did say it's reading 14.3v at tickover, mine is approx. 13.5v at tickover & approx. 14.5v at 3,000rpm. I would check it at 3krpm, if it's 15v + could be as Tim mentioned. Don't try & start it with a low battery, Triumph sprags don't like that.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #18 on: 08 December, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
For the reg/rec issue Im talking about, with ignition off,  you would put an ammeter in series on the neg side of the battery and see what amps drain you are getting, then just disconnect the reg/rec connector that goes into the bike loom and if the amps drop youve found it.
« Last Edit: 08 December, 2018, 03:25:56 PM by Timbox »
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #19 on: 09 December, 2018, 12:01:04 AM »
 :460: