Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2009 Tiger 1050 Battery Drain Woes  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Scotty Dog

• Tiger Member
  • City / Town: Sturminster Newton
2009 Tiger 1050 Battery Drain Woes
« on: 06 December, 2018, 10:29:50 PM »
Hello, new member here, i joined to help out my Father who has recently bought an 09 plate Tiger 1050. He was a Honda man for 43 years, so this change of heart was suprising to say the least, but i had a go and i can see why he likes the Tiger.

A few weeks after picking the bike up the battery went flat, but once jumped it worked fine, until you turned the bike off and then went to turn it straight back on again it was dead, so we put a new battery on, a YUASA YT12B-BS and all was Fine . . . or so we thought.

Then the Bike sat for a couple weeks, Turned the key and it was completely dead.

On the 25th November, after we charged the battery it was @ 12.70V
Ignition On was 12.09V
While cranking it was all over between 10V & 11V
While Idling its was 14.30V
Then 10 minutes after turning off it was 12.72V, straight after we un-hooked the battery from the bike.
In 24 Hours un-hooked on the 26th it had dropped too 12.67V
Then hooked back up on the bike and another 24 hours on the 27th it had dropped too 12.52V
On the 28th it was 12.43V
On the 29th it was 12.30V
On the 30th it was 12.21V
On the 1st of December it was 12.13V
On the 2nd it was 12.05V
On the 3rd it was 11.96V
On the 4th it was 11.87V

In comparison i have an S1000RR and on 2nd December my bikes battery was 12.82V and on the 6th it was 12.81V

While the Bike was off we pulled Fuses 1 by 1 and the only Fuse that had any current flowing to it (through it) was Fuse 4 (Turn Signals/Alarm/Horn/Tail lights/Sidelights/Diagnostic Plug)

Me and my Father are Practical blokes, but Vehicle Electrics arent our strong point, and were struggling to find out why its Draining like it is, and its not fun seeing my Dad looking and feeling dejected by things, especailly as he seems to really like the Tiger, so any help would be Greatly Respected and Appriciated.

Thank you

Scott

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
Re: 2009 Tiger 1050 Battery Drain Woes
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2018, 11:40:14 PM »
Hello and  :405:

You mentioned fuse 4, does the bike have an alarm installed? If so that would most likely be the culprit. 
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2018, 11:53:20 PM »
Hi, and I agree with Gosling but also that new battery doesnt look brill, I would expect 12.8 or more after a good charge
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2018, 12:42:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Scotty Dog [+]
....we put a new battery on, a YUASA YT12B-BS.....
Once you sort the battery drain, and even though you just bought a new stock battery, return it and get a YTZ14S-BS. Even if they only refund you 10 bucks, do it.   

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2018, 02:14:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by TCC [+]
Once you sort the battery drain, and even though you just bought a new stock battery, return it and get a YTZ14S-BS. Even if they only refund you 10 bucks, do it.

I agree the YTZ14S is the best choice for a conventional battery (AGM) at 230 CCA but the YT12B-BS is not as bad as the YTX12-BS the Mk1 Tigers originally came with. The YTB is rated at 210 CCA as opposed to the old YTX that has only 180 CCA. Yuasa now recommend the YTB12-BS on their website but the factory filled and sealed YTZ14S still makes more sense since it has more beans, is designed to be placed on its side, and the slightly smaller size gives some room to tuck in excess wire from electrical add ons. :001:
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Texan Rider

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Ft Worth, Texas
« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2018, 02:59:22 AM »

Check all of your relays to see if they're functioning properly.
White Tiger Rider
"Which way you going?" they asked.
After some thought, I replied, "Doesn't matter, as long as I'm going."

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2018, 03:10:06 AM »
Step back and start again. Instead of pulling fuses, disconnect your battery and put an ammeter in series with that connection to see what the total drain from the battery is. You're doing this to see whether you have a viable battery. You will then know if you need to pursue the hunt and identify a particular circuit. You can determine the delivery-life of the battery (with no charge being applied) using the current you measure and the approximate AH rating of the battery. Divide the AH rating of the battery by your current to see how long it should last. Work on 80% of this resulting in a fall no lower than 10V. Also, a fully discharged battery needs a considerable recharge to regain it's AH rating and all lead acid batteries are damaged by any deep discharge. I've read dozens of stories here about 'new batteries' being installed and problems persisting until another battery (go for at least a 14 series) is installed. But, first figure out if you have a drain - as mentioned, the alarm system (if you have one) should be first in your cross-hairs.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2018, 10:36:55 AM »
Timbox is absolutely right to question the battery - I would go out and get a new one immediately. And as TCC says, the YTZ14S-BS is the one to go for.

Even when everything is ideal, the Tiger battery is on the margins IMHO as to its specification for the load. Compare other modern Triumph triples that are now fitted with 18 series batteries. So you need to make sure everything stays tip-top. Keep the bike on a smart charger whenever possible - and absolutely if you have an alarm.

Also spend some time checking through, cleaning and vaselining all the contacts in the start circuit - battery terminals, engine earth terminal (above gearbox), starter solenoid connections and the big fuse hidden in there, the starter connection and the starter relay connectors.

Do all the above and you should minimise (I cannot say completely prevent) any starting issues. Oh, and Welcome!  :405:

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #8 on: 07 December, 2018, 07:06:45 PM »
Ayup Scott  :401: m8  :031:

Has the bike got any electrical after market extras fitted? Battery sounds ok.....to me.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Scotty Dog

• Tiger Member
  • City / Town: Sturminster Newton
« Reply #9 on: 07 December, 2018, 07:59:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by gosling 1 [+]
Hello and  :405:

You mentioned fuse 4, does the bike have an alarm installed? If so that would most likely be the culprit.

Thanks for the reply, but no it doesnt have an alarm