Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MAP Question - 2008 Tiger  (Read 178 times)

Mudpit and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Javaman

• Tiger Member
  • Why Do Today What Will Wait Until Tomorrow?
  • Bike/Model: 2008 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Sleaford
MAP Question - 2008 Tiger
« on: 06 December, 2018, 02:03:00 AM »
I have just finished checking the valve clearances on my bike and prior to putting the tank back, thought I would double check the throttle body balance with TuneECU.  I disconnected the MAP sensor from the airbox, plugged it into its connector and reconnected the vacuum pipe to the sensor before running the program with my tank balanced over the frame rails

Question . . . I happened to be writing up the procedure for next time but doing so with reference to the manual when I cam across a section in the manual which described removing the MAP sensor from the airbox. It stated to disconnect the plug and air pipe before removing the single screw holding the sensor in place and then "collecting the O-ring".
For reassembly, the manual states to use a new O-ring.
Now I'm puzzled because it never occurred to me there would be an O-ring there - I presumed it was just a convenient spot to mount the sensor and the only important bits are the air pipe connection and electrical plug to the sensor. O-rings are normally used when there is a need for a air/water/oil/gas tight seal.  I checked an online parts supplier to see if an o-ring was showing with the MAP sensor but drew a blank.
Has anyone come across an O-ring in this position or is it simply a case of removing a single screw to remove the sensor??  I sure as hell don't want to retrace my steps to take a look and besides, the bike seems to be running fine . . . .
Thanks in advance anyone!!

Online toopytiger

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: '08 Blue
  • City / Town: Perth
Re: MAP Question - 2008 Tiger
« Reply #1 on: 06 December, 2018, 02:20:51 AM »
I have 2008 Tiger as well.  I remember taking the MAP sensor off the airbox a while ago (I don't remember why) but I don't recall ever seeing an O ring there.   I reckon if your TBs are still showing in balance its all good
Triumph Centrestand & 3 box panniers.  TOR, dogbone out, Arrow race tune.  MRA screen + spoiler.  GIPro gear indicator.  SWMotech light mount with 3500 Komys.  SWMotech chainguard. Nitron R1.  Hand me down pointy indicators off son's Street Triple.  Would like to respring forks but would need to get divorced first.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #2 on: 06 December, 2018, 07:06:17 AM »
New one on me too, definitely no O ring on the later Sport. How is the Map sensor held to the airbox, self tapper or proper bolt?
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S

Offline Javaman

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: 06 December, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »
I was on autopilot when I did the job but from memory, I seem to remember seeing a captive gold-coloured nut moulded into the body of the airbox, much like the two screw fixings to the bracket at the back. The manual is very specific about the O-ring - even describes lubing up with petroleum jelly prior to insertion - the O-ring that is!!
I suspect loads of folks will have done this job and thought perhaps someone else will have stumbled across the same section in the manual in advance and therefore will have been prepared to look for it - seems odd to me since I don't believe there's any "communication" between the body of the sensor, the internals of the sensor and inside the airbox via its attachment point - just the pipe connection.  I was prompted to ask because I saw one of your posts which showed the MAP sensor after removing the tank and it looks essentially the same as the 1050 Tiger

Offline Javaman

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2018, 09:15:56 AM »
here you go . . . . .

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:17:17 AM »
Cannot help on the O ring. But brings me to a another question. I didn't look for any O ring because I didn't bother to dismount and reconnect the MAP sensor when checking the TB balance. So is MAP connection necessary for TB balancing? Don't remember seeing it mentioned before.  :465:

Offline Javaman

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »
Maybe not . . . I was just following the guidelines from a Youtube video I watched.
In fairness, there is a section in the manual about throttle body balancing using the official Triumph diagnostics and so when I get a minute I will read it and post back

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2018, 11:53:07 AM »
If you start the bike with the MAP sensor unplugged you will get an engine fault code that you would have to clear with tuneecu, dealertool, or your local dealer. :005:  I just leave the MAP sensor, wiring, and vacuum hose in place and just rest the air box lid over the frame rail. With the tank, I will turn it 180 deg. and place it on the rider seat area (seat removed). I put a thick towel down first to prevent scratches. Plug the tank wiring connectors and fuel line back in and do the TB balance adjustments. It's a bit of a juggling act because all the electrical connectors have to be plugged in to prevent a fault code and the tank is a bit awkward to handle. It is made easier if it is nearly empty, something I usually forget. :034:
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Timbox

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2018, 04:14:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Javaman [+]
I was on autopilot when I did the job but from memory, I seem to remember seeing a captive gold-coloured nut moulded into the body of the airbox, much like the two screw fixings to the bracket at the back. The manual is very specific about the O-ring - even describes lubing up with petroleum jelly prior to insertion - the O-ring that is!!
I suspect loads of folks will have done this job and thought perhaps someone else will have stumbled across the same section in the manual in advance and therefore will have been prepared to look for it - seems odd to me since I don't believe there's any "communication" between the body of the sensor, the internals of the sensor and inside the airbox via its attachment point - just the pipe connection.  I was prompted to ask because I saw one of your posts which showed the MAP sensor after removing the tank and it looks essentially the same as the 1050 Tiger

So if thats the case maybe the brass threads are all the way through the airbox lid, in theory you could get a minor air leak???
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S