Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear disc wear FWIW  (Read 284 times)

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 07
  • City / Town: Long Island, N.Y
Rear disc wear FWIW
« on: 04 December, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »
I have used organic EBC's on the rear  of my 07 for 150k miles, getting 10k miles per set, and almost no wear on the disc. The last set were ebc hh that I got new for free. Now, after 20k miles, the pads are only half worn but the disc is toast (at least 5mm of wear). PLUS, they dont stop as well as organic. If any of you USA guys have a decent disc for sale, I'm your huckleberry. :158:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Rear disc wear FWIW
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2018, 04:55:22 PM »
Good to know. I use HHs on the front (bike came with them fitted), but standard on the rear, as they do seem to have more bite (and the TS caliper is even more exposed to dirt than the T1050's).

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2018, 06:41:22 PM »
Thanks Rhead. I had always suspected that longer lasting pads could be wearing out the discs faster. Have generally stuck with the OEM offerings, as a matter of caution. Great information :028:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #3 on: 04 December, 2018, 08:25:09 PM »
I worked at Ferodo many years ago. They could make pads so hard we would only need to replace discs. Or so soft we'd never have to replace discs. For the UK they were generally softer because we sulk if we have to replace discs. For European countries they were harder as they would replace discs & pads as a set, talking cars here.

So when we fit HH we must expect more wear to the discs. The oem pads seem to be on the soft side but give good stopping power without the excessive disc wear.

Nothing will work as good as asbestos on cast iron discs I was told. The pads were made up of a mix of; rock, brass filings, steel wool, etc with bonding agents. It was over 20 years ago when I last worked there so changes & memory fade will have taken effect.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #4 on: 04 December, 2018, 10:53:57 PM »
I remember boiling clean asbestos brake shoes, when I was a kid. Great product, but no longer PC to consider safe, when used appropriately  :028:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
« Reply #5 on: 05 December, 2018, 07:47:55 PM »
I have used ebc hh on the fronts since new. I get 30k miles per set and the discs are still good enough. :027:

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #6 on: 05 December, 2018, 07:54:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rhead [+]
I have used ebc hh on the fronts since new. I get 30k miles per set and the discs are still good enough. :027:

Yet the HH trashed your rear disc, odd eh, mebbe a much softer st/steel.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Rhead

• Tiger God
« Reply #7 on: 05 December, 2018, 10:17:50 PM »
must be. also smaller and just 1 as apposed to the front

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #8 on: 05 December, 2018, 10:31:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rhead [+]

All about the riding style I think.   Im on 45k and my third set of EBC HH pads, plus the OEMs, and theyll be gone before long too.   I already changed the discs at about 38k too.

Town riding hammers the brakes - although Im happy to admit I quite enjoy leaning hard on the brakes as well.