Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hello from Southern California. (Aphex)  (Read 5386 times)

Offline Aphex

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Hesperia
Hello from Southern California. (Aphex)
« on: 17 November, 2018, 05:32:14 PM »
Hello everyone,

I recently parted with a KTM 990 and I've been looking at Tiger 1050s. However choices are slim in California so I'm looking to Arizona and Nevada. Can anyone tell me where the Federal emissions sticker is located on these bikes (even better if it's a 50 state sticker stating California specifically). I've seen some talk about Triumph putting them on the airbox cover but I've yet to confirm that's true for this model.

Cheers,
Aphex
2010 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Hello from Southern California. (Aphex)
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2018, 05:56:12 PM »
Welcome mate, Ive no idea about your question though, being a Brit the more emissions the better, one of your country folk should be along soon to answer :405:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #2 on: 17 November, 2018, 06:08:14 PM »
 :401: Aphex,  you wont regret it if you get yourself a Tiger 1050  :062:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline indytiger1050

• Tiger Supporter
  • Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #3 on: 18 November, 2018, 01:57:51 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

I do know there is a California specific tiger that come with a BS carbon canister and some other niggles.
Everyone getting one has ripped them out.

SO the question becomes do you have an annual inspection that requires it. OR if you bought one in another state can you bring it in.
If not, one more reason to move.

Yes you  will love one once you bag it.   When you do, post up a picture.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #4 on: 18 November, 2018, 03:26:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Aphex [+]
Hello everyone,

I recently parted with a KTM 990 and I've been looking at Tiger 1050s. However choices are slim in California so I'm looking to Arizona and Nevada. Can anyone tell me where the Federal emissions sticker is located on these bikes (even better if it's a 50 state sticker stating California specifically). I've seen some talk about Triumph putting them on the airbox cover but I've yet to confirm that's true for this model.

Cheers,
Aphex

:401:

As it happens, I imported a brand new Californian Tiger 1050 in 2008. It did have the charcoal canister, which I by-passed and removed. There were no other stickers, other than the VIN No. which tells the state all it needs to know  :031:

2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Aphex

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: 18 November, 2018, 04:00:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
:401:

As it happens, I imported a brand new Californian Tiger 1050 in 2008. It did have the charcoal canister, which I by-passed and removed. There were no other stickers, other than the VIN No. which tells the state all it needs to know  :031:

I called a local Triumph dealer and they said that there is only a bikes within a certain VIN range could be registered in California and if I gave them the last 6 digits they could tell me.

Did you personally register it at the DMV without issue? I'm just cautious as I don't want to end up with a $6000 bike I can't register, insure and ride.
2010 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #6 on: 18 November, 2018, 04:37:20 AM »
I called a local Triumph dealer and they said that there is only a bikes within a certain VIN range could be registered in California and if I gave them the last 6 digits they could tell me.

Did you personally register it at the DMV without issue? I'm just cautious as I don't want to end up with a $6000 bike I can't register, insure and ride.

It was a Californian Tiger 1050 that I had them export to me in New Zealand. It was not ever registered in CA and was sold as new.

As it happens and if you don't have it, I do have the VIN decryption sheet I can dig out for you, if that might help and then you'll know exactly what the number/letter translate as?

Offline Aphex

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: 18 November, 2018, 04:41:49 AM »
That would be extremely helpful since the dealers in my area are closed Sunday/Monday.

2010 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #8 on: 18 November, 2018, 05:44:11 AM »
That would be extremely helpful since the dealers in my area are closed Sunday/Monday.

Give this a try:

I also have it as a pdf, if that one isn't clear enough?

Offline 07_1050_ABS

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: '07 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: NorCal
« Reply #9 on: 18 November, 2018, 05:37:43 PM »
Don't quote me on this, but I think if the bike has over 7500 miles on it it doesn't need to be compliant. Kalifornia considers any vehicle under 7500 miles to be "new".

Interesting aside....

If you try to register an out of state vehicle under 7500 miles that is non-compliant, the DMV will flag the VIN in the system, and you can never register it no matter how many miles  :005:

I guess it keeps one from going home & racking up a few thousand miles on the center stand.

Don't take chances! Check with the DMV.

Then check with another DMV  :002: