Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Should it... could it...  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Mike01

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS
  • City / Town: Essex
Should it... could it...
« on: 12 November, 2018, 07:05:36 AM »
My 16 TS gets used at least 5 times a week for an 80 mile round ride...

Last used Friday, washed started a couple of times to help dry things off then put away...
Completely dead today, no dash lights nothing!
Quick check on the battery (original one) and its showing around 6v....
I have no problem with buying a new one but can/should this one die so quickly?

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Should it... could it...
« Reply #1 on: 12 November, 2018, 07:54:45 AM »
Dont think Ive ever seen a battery with that low a figure, got to have a faulty plate or two, or youve got a massive parasitic drain, fitted any new elecs recently?
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Mike01

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2018, 08:43:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Dont think Ive ever seen a battery with that low a figure, got to have a faulty plate or two, or youve got a massive parasitic drain, fitted any new elecs recently?

Nope nothing, it has nothing on the bike at all. Extra lights etc where taken off a couple months ago.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #3 on: 12 November, 2018, 08:44:13 AM »
Unfortunately, 2 years on the Tiger, unless it's kept on a trickle charger in a garage, seems to be about typical. Plus you don't know how well the battery was kept when new in the showroom or how long. Tigers do seem to have some kinds of parasitic draw, or maybe the stepper motor just goes mad. You haven't been just going out to the bike and switching on /  switching off? Activates the stepper motor each time.

So .... you can charge, test, etc, but there'll always be a concern there. I would just replace it with a higher-spec one. TB bought what looked like a very good and more powerful alternative recently, a Motobatt I believe. Or MDS Battery has a good range of types for the Tiger - I've used them and they're good, on advice too.

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #4 on: 12 November, 2018, 08:48:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Unfortunately, 2 years on the Tiger, unless it's kept on a trickle charger in a garage, seems to be about typical. Plus you don't know how well the battery was kept when new in the showroom or how long. Tigers do seem to have some kinds of parasitic draw, or maybe the stepper motor just goes mad. You haven't been just going out to the bike and switching on /  switching off? Activates the stepper motor each time.

So .... you can charge, test, etc, but there'll always be a concern there. I would just replace it with a higher-spec one. TB bought what looked like a very good and more powerful alternative recently, a Motobatt I believe. Or MDS Battery has a good range of types for the Tiger - I've used them and they're good, on advice too.

The verdict is still out on the Motobatt, and in fact my OE Yuasa now its been on a charger is showing better volts than the Motobatt after a day sat.  Yuasa 12.93  vs Motobatt 12.83

Offline Mike01

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]

Its fair enough but to die so drastically since Friday   :087:
I never turn that key unless i have too, so no its not the fact i am switching on and off.

Oh well i have ordered Yuasa YTX14-BS from Halfords... Will pick up on my way home.. Will put the OE one on test charge tonight and see if its dead dead  :028:

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mike01 [+]
Nope nothing, it has nothing on the bike at all. Extra lights etc where taken off a couple months ago.

You might want to do a draw test just incase.  Easy enough if you have a multimeter with a 10A circuit(Most have).   But yes, the likelihood is its the battery just gone belly up

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2018, 08:56:35 AM »
I never turn that key unless i have too, so no its not the fact i am switching on and off.

Oh well i have ordered Yuasa YTX14-BS from Halfords... Will pick up on my way home.. Will put the OE one on test charge tonight and see if its dead dead  :028:

Most likely is the battery but that is my concern too, things like a faulty reg/rec can put a big parasitic draw on a battery suddenly

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:32:56 AM »

If you still can, change your order to a YTX14H-BS! It's worth paying more for the HD version of this battery. As here: https://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/yuasa-ytx14h-bs-motorcycle-battery.html
« Last Edit: 12 November, 2018, 09:34:30 AM by Paullie »

Offline Mike01

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:49:17 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmm So sat having coffee at work thinking what could it be, washed bike... put it away... Oh there was that strange thing when moving the bike from the garage this morning, needed to click the key round twice to unlock the bars... Nahhh i'm not that much of an idiot....  :191: