Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: '07 Speedo unit - 3 buttons not working.  (Read 6318 times)

Offline Snozzeltoff

• Tiger Member
  • Video Games, Bikes, Bike racing.
  • Bike/Model: 1050->Now KTM 1290 SAS
'07 Speedo unit - 3 buttons not working.
« on: 11 November, 2018, 07:06:20 PM »
Looking for some help/advice.  :183:
Mid way through last week I started having issues with the 'Set' button on my '07 Tiger 1050. It was intermittent at first but thought I'd see how it was on my way home from work. The same, sometimes it would work but not much.
Come the next morning I noticed it didn't work at all, so I can't scroll through the various screens on the main left panel. I then also tried the other two buttons along the bottom that allow you to scroll through the trip and etc. These acted the same and don't work.
The guages and dials all illuminate and work, speedo gives correct reading, I'm just stuck on the miles to empty fuel screen on the left and my main odomometer reading on the one below the RPM gauge.

I took it off this weekend to have a closer look. I noticed the 1st button (left to right) does not make that subtle clicking sound when pressed, the other two buttons do. I thought the switch had gone but not if all three are not working.
So with the unit off and unplugged, i unscrewed the back panel and took a look at the board itself. I could see some green crust in small parts on the 1st button and a tiny amount on parts of the other 2. This must be from a slight ingress of water through the rubber buttons and down onto the board.
I had some cleaner for CPU and electronic parts so I carefully cleaned them up so they look like this below. I've highlighted in red the problem areas.
Does anyone know of this happening before?
Anyone with any advice? I'm thinking of taking the solder off and the switches, clean it up and re solder again.
The other option is a 2nd hand speedo unit, though I don't want this as ideally. Is the milage of the vehicle stored in the speedo unit or on the bikes ECU? Swapping to a 2nd hand unit is not only expensive but would also mean the odometer reading won't match.

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
Re: '07 Speedo unit - 3 buttons not working.
« Reply #1 on: 11 November, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »
There are many threads on this. You can fix it and seal it, or replace it. I'm not sure it will come apart again, if you seal it with the required waterproof silicon. The two button version fits straight on. If you want to follow the fixing route, I think you'll find that the old solder comes back to life, with a little heat.

It's pretty annoying when you can't even adjust the clock time  :232:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Snozzeltoff

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: 11 November, 2018, 07:52:43 PM »
With a little heat you say, that may save them, I'll have to give that a try next weekend.
It wasnt a lot of water getting in, probably over a long time and it finally went.

The only way to get the time right is to unplug it and back in and turned on at 1pm, as that's where the clock default starts. Not that I can see the time as as soon as the fuel light comes on and switches to range I can't swap it back again.

Thanks for the feedback, fingers crossed the heating up fixes it. I shall report back.

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2018, 07:55:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Snozzeltoff [+]
With a little heat you say, that may save them, I'll have to give that a try next weekend.
It wasnt a lot of water getting in, probably over a long time and it finally went.

The only way to get the time right is to unplug it and back in and turned on at 1pm, as that's where the clock default starts. Not that I can see the time as as soon as the fuel light comes on and switches to range I can't swap it back again.

Thanks for the feedback, fingers crossed the heating up fixes it. I shall report back.

Do dig up the old threads, as there are some 'gotchas' in there and some lessons to be learnt from. Good luck  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline indytiger1050

• Supreme Tiger
  • Bike/Model: 2007 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Indianapolis
« Reply #4 on: 11 November, 2018, 08:06:06 PM »
I've fixed several and couldn't a couple of others. 

Must have 50 or so switch's left, just don't remember where.

Water intrusion.  Switch gets knackered and in some cases I saw the traces on the PCB delaminating  off the board.  Used wire to replace those traces.

Yes, check around. Pretty sure there is a thread in a sticky with the switch part number.
Support the forum.   :031:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 11 November, 2018, 08:18:53 PM »
As Indy says, you can get and solder in new switches, and it's worth trying that before junking the board.

While you're in there you can solder in a couple of wires to feed out to a remote switch, so you can do your menu jumps from the handlebar just like the TS. You do need fine wire though, and sourcing a good waterproof pushbutton switch may be an issue. Again, it's in the stickies.

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2018, 12:16:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by indytiger1050 [+]
I've fixed several and couldn't a couple of others. 

Must have 50 or so switch's left, just don't remember where.

Water intrusion.  Switch gets knackered and in some cases I saw the traces on the PCB delaminating  off the board.  Used wire to replace those traces.

Yes, check around. Pretty sure there is a thread in a sticky with the switch part number.

Indy, I believe I saved the part no from one of your old posts - pretty sure this is it:
https://www.digikey.com.au/products/en?keywords=450-1642-ND
« Last Edit: 12 November, 2018, 12:19:56 AM by TCC »

Offline Snozzeltoff

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2018, 09:21:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by TCC [+]
Indy, I believe I saved the part no from one of your old posts - pretty sure this is it:
https://www.digikey.com.au/products/en?keywords=450-1642-ND

That certainly looks like the part.

Thanks for the info guys, I shall dig deeper into the threads on my lunch break,

Offline Snozzeltoff

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: 15 November, 2018, 09:15:15 AM »
Got my replacement switches so I'll be doing the job this saturday before the NEC bike show on sunday morning.

Also to add to that this morning, the little plastic cover with the fuel logo painted on it that covers the low fuel light, that's decided to jump off the bike and run away. I noticed this morning as I was about to leave for work, I can see straight through to the LED.
I've taped it with gaffer tape for now, at least its not raining.

Doubt a replacement can be sourced, I'm thinking I'll have to buy a small bit of light smoked plastic, cut and file down to shape, hand paint a fuel logo and glue in.  :157:

*Edit - Put a bid in on a cracked speedo front cover on ebay. I only need the fuel gauge part, that would do.
« Last Edit: 15 November, 2018, 09:22:19 AM by Snozzeltoff »

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #9 on: 15 November, 2018, 11:07:48 AM »
I've seen new complete covers for sale on eBay in the past - can't remember if they were 30 or 60. Might be worth having a look for them.