Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 07 TT 1050 Factory Exhaust options  (Read 491 times)

Offline Hanta Yo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: New Westminster, BC
07 TT 1050 Factory Exhaust options
« on: 30 October, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
Hey all - I am trying to do a little research on my muffler, and I am coming up empty... MY understanding is that the 07 to 12 TT 1050 could come from the factory with three different cans:  1) the regular OEM one, 2) the Arrow we all know and love (which was what came on the 09 I wrote off) , and 3) an OEM Racing or Race Exhaust which looked similar to the big OEM one (the actual pipe coming out of the end was more recessed than on the reg. OEM exhaust), but the  Racing one sounded and performed better... And which I was led to believe is the one which came on my 07. 

Anyone out there have more information on this, or is it just a pipe dream (could not resist the pun)?

Thanks!

PS - Unlike the Black 09, the White 07 did not come with ABS (I am actually OK with that) or heated grips.  I added a set of Black KTM hand guards... we will see how I fare with them when the temperature really goes down.  So far the new guards together with my winter gloves are good down to 5 degrees C.
« Last Edit: 30 October, 2018, 01:31:03 PM by Hanta Yo »

Offline rode2rouen

• Tiger Master
  • Triple-licious!
  • Bike/Model: '07 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: N.E. oHIo
Re: 07 TT 1050 Factory Exhaust options
« Reply #1 on: 30 October, 2018, 01:28:33 PM »
Assuming that by TT1050 you mean Tiger 1050, your info is off.
Any new Tiger 1050 destined for North American sale came with the standard exhaust.
There were a couple of accessory exhausts available from your friendly neighborhood dealer.
Triumph Off Road (TOR) exhaust was offered, and it looked pretty much like the stock unit, but with a more realistic sound.
The Arrow slip on was also offered by dealers.

There were a number of aftermarket exhausts as well.
A few folks, like myself, fabricated one-off systems.
My original black '07 is equipped with the SuperTrapp I fabricated.
My current blue '07 has a Remus.......nice, but not as cool as the 'Trapp.

Rex
« Last Edit: 30 October, 2018, 01:33:14 PM by rode2rouen »

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #2 on: 30 October, 2018, 05:55:45 PM »
Kinell, them's monster things. Could poke somebody in the eye wi them rascals.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Hanta Yo

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: 08 November, 2018, 02:21:37 AM »
I actually wrote a reply a while back, but I am guessing I neglected to hit "send".  Be that as it may, I think Paul2bikes is most likely correct... my Tiger 1050 exhaust is probably the TOR accessory one.

The term "SuperTrapp" takes me back to my younger days back home in Bermuda where we were limited to 150 cc's; anything which could increase power and make your 'blade' sound better was trumps.

If I see an Arrow at a good price (or win the lottery!), I think I would like to go for it, but I also already have a Corbin saddle which I put on when riding two up, so any weight saving would basically be nullified.  I am assuming  here that the horse power gain between the TOR and the Arrow would be minimal?

Now If I could get myself back under 100 kg THAT would be something to write home about.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #4 on: 08 November, 2018, 03:04:30 AM »
Hi Hanto Yo, there are many options available for your tiger. Do take care, as not all are road legal and some garages will make the bike fail the bike's annual worthiness inspection. In my view, it will come down to your own personal taste and preference. The OEM units are unnecessarily bulky and heavy, making them less attractive. I had a Micron Beta Race Exhaust on my MKI Tiger. Very good indeed  :169:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Norbert

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2009 Tiger 1050 Orange
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #5 on: 08 November, 2018, 11:59:12 AM »
 :152: to the search for a reasonable priced Arrow race pipe S/H.....

I have A TOR pipe which sounds fine, the bike runs great with the TOR tune, and as it looks almost identical to the standard one I have no problem getting it through our Uk annual inspection (MOT)...all good, except it is a heavy old thing, and lightness in all areas is getting more attractive as I get older and feebler.

I think tunes are round for Arrow pipes (not road legal), I just wondered if there was any accumulated wisdom out there on running  non-Arrow (I.e cheaper) race pipes with say the Arrow or TOR tune. Are their characteristics so different to need a different tune.  Any advice based on experience welcome.

Norbert

Offline Hanta Yo

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: 08 November, 2018, 02:23:17 PM »
Thanks for the input, Yellow Dog. 

I would be very interested in reading replies to my man Norbert:  I thought the TOR tune was the same one used  for the TOR pipe AND for the Arrow pipe... Is this not the case?

And - wonder of wonders - I live in BC, Canada, and it appears that there is no annual or other regular inspection of motorcycles here.  It was inspected when it came up from Washington State, USA, but as far as I can tell... that is all that was and is required!  My pipes?  My business!
Does anyone know if I am right or wrong about this?

And it looks like it was rode2rouen who was the person I should credit with the first reply to my initial post, not Paul2bikes.  My error.

When all is said and done, I think the Missenden Flyer is right on the money... the 07 to 12 TT 1050 is a "stonkingly good looking" machine.  I met a guy in the parking lot of my local Triumph dealer who was having his (I believe) TT Explorer serviced.  He asked me about my 07 and admitted that - given the type of riding he wants it for - he wished he had gone for a second hand 07 to 12 1050 rather than shell out so much more for the 1200... I tried not to make him feel too bad.
« Last Edit: 08 November, 2018, 02:35:02 PM by Hanta Yo »

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #7 on: 09 November, 2018, 03:51:26 AM »
Well that's a tough one to get your head around. 10 year old motorcycles really should have an annual road worthiness inspection, for everyone's safety.

Particularly the rider's  :169:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Texan Rider

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2010 White Tiger
  • City / Town: Ft Worth, Texas
« Reply #8 on: 09 November, 2018, 01:56:59 PM »
It's not the bike that would be a problem on the road.

It's the millions of riders that don't have a license.  Mostly slow, weekend warriors and bar hoppers, or the self-depleting gene pool a/k/a crotch-rocket riders.
A motorcycle license isn't required to buy a bike, so many, many riders buy and ride.

The condition of the bike is the least of the problem.
White Tiger Rider
"Which way you going?" they asked.
After some thought, I replied, "Doesn't matter, as long as I'm going."

Offline Hanta Yo

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: 09 November, 2018, 04:22:13 PM »
Now I believe that new riders DO have to have passed through a graduated licencing program starting with - I am going to say - no larger than a 250cc machine; I did not have too because I was coming with a driver's licence (bike, car, intermediate truck) from another jurisdiction.

And we all have to re-licence and insure our bikes once a year, so it's not like it's the Wild Wild (North) West out here.  I just tried to look up if a bike HAS to go through a full safety inspection whenever ownership passes from one individual to another.  I could not find it.  Caveat emptor seems to be the rule around here.  The government have the usual rules about helmets and footpegs and proper sitting... but that appears to be about it.  It kinda surprises me, now that I think about it, because we have annual inspections in Bermuda where the speed limit is 35 kph!

If anyone has a different understanding, I would love to hear / read of it.