Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Main Lamps  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Biccys

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Re: LED Main Lamps
« Reply #20 on: 15 November, 2018, 01:51:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
This is what I have. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LV44FJG/. Simple on/off, no fancy flashing modes and no variable power. Have seen others that look identical at a lower price  but  :027:

Bracket is from Squaredeals with a simple switch on the bars powered by a switched live feed. No need for a relay.

Oh and they've been there for 2 years (about 30k) and I ride all year.

I bought a bracket from Squaredeal, but it appears I'm an idiot and have bought one for the previous model as it won't sit under the side fairings when it's installed. Going to have to extend the 2 arms that go to the mounting holes. Unless I'm a double idiot and I'm trying to insert into the wrong holes.. giggity.

Online seangee

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #21 on: 15 November, 2018, 07:26:19 PM »
It is the same bracket for both models  :164:

(both models of Sport that is - no idea about the 1050).
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #22 on: 15 November, 2018, 08:07:45 PM »
The one for the T1050 is slightly different, unfortunately (because in many ways it is better made, IMHO). But because the TS relies on sliding those side panels forward, the T1050 lightbar doesn't provide quite enough clearance. Even on the TS lightbar, it's still pretty tight ....

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #23 on: 15 November, 2018, 08:20:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Biccys [+]
This is an excellent suggestion.....

I'll see how they look and if they are OK might sack off the LED's for the sake of 60... I had some Chinese LED's in my old tiger 800 and they were immensely bright so when I got the TS I was very disappointed in them. I did get some more Chinese ones for it but they're junk. They don't send the light backwards to the reflectors so the light out front just spread out with no real benefit other than I could be seen from all angles. I just couldn't see anything from the bike! Awkward.

I recently got some H7 LEDs in mine and actually they are really good.    Think theyve improved quite a lot in the last couple of years.   The problem with them is that whereas a halogen H7 has the filament mounted in a very precise spot, so the reflectors are all set at the correct angles for the desired beam pattern, the emitters on an LED bulb are larger, and that small difference in the location of the light source means the beam pattern goes to pot.    However the newer bulbs are much more precise in that regard, with smaller emitters that mimic the filament much better.

For the fans and heat sink and electrical stuff, there was no hope of fitting it all in the housing, I couldnt even get the spade connectors in , so Im not sure how Sean managed it.   But, Amazon to the rescue:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H32M7RH?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

They are designed to be cut down to size so it fits onto the hole in the back of the light unit.    I measured the actual hole to be 67mm, so I cut just the largest ring off, and that left a deep rubber cone of 65mm internal diameter.   Which with a little wiggle, fits tightly on and has plenty of room inside for the electrical gubbins, and lets the cooling fan on the H7 LED run.   Mine have been on for over 1000miles now with no issues.

I just bought a cheapish set of lights that were well reviewed and had some guff in the description about good beam patterns and so on.   After some twiddling with the adjusters on the headlight unit, I get a good beam pattern, great visibility, and no angry flashes from oncoming cars.   Definitely recommend doing it.

Online seangee

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #24 on: 15 November, 2018, 09:46:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
For the fans and heat sink and electrical stuff, there was no hope of fitting it all in the housing, I couldnt even get the spade connectors in , so Im not sure how Sean managed it.   But, Amazon to the rescue:
I do recall that execution was a bit of a bar steward, especially in midwinter with freezing fingers. But it is possible  :010:

Sorry - she's a working girl. If you want a clean one by Thursday this time of year ask Tim  :745:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Timbox

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #25 on: 16 November, 2018, 07:19:10 AM »
What you talking about, my rear tyre looks well scruffy :001:
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S

Offline Biccys

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #26 on: 16 November, 2018, 08:22:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
I recently got some H7 LEDs in mine and actually they are really good.    Think theyve improved quite a lot in the last couple of years.   The problem with them is that whereas a halogen H7 has the filament mounted in a very precise spot, so the reflectors are all set at the correct angles for the desired beam pattern, the emitters on an LED bulb are larger, and that small difference in the location of the light source means the beam pattern goes to pot.    However the newer bulbs are much more precise in that regard, with smaller emitters that mimic the filament much better.

They are designed to be cut down to size so it fits onto the hole in the back of the light unit.    I measured the actual hole to be 67mm, so I cut just the largest ring off, and that left a deep rubber cone of 65mm internal diameter.   Which with a little wiggle, fits tightly on and has plenty of room inside for the electrical gubbins, and lets the cooling fan on the H7 LED run.   Mine have been on for over 1000miles now with no issues.

I just bought a cheapish set of lights that were well reviewed and had some guff in the description about good beam patterns and so on.   After some twiddling with the adjusters on the headlight unit, I get a good beam pattern, great visibility, and no angry flashes from oncoming cars.   Definitely recommend doing it.

Mike,
good suggestion re the dust covers! Can you tell me which H7 LED lights you fitted? With a link if poss?! Cheers.