Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Main Lamps  (Read 2328 times)

Offline GriffTile

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Doncaster
'A Triple a day - keeps the doctor at bay'

Offline Camcow

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Red SE ABS
  • City / Town: Burlington MA
Re: LED Main Lamps
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2018, 01:54:08 AM »
I had read on ADVRider that the Evitek F2 LED bulbs are the ones to get. I have not however tried them out. Supposedly the LEDs are placed right at the focal points for better light pattern.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #2 on: 25 October, 2018, 09:49:20 AM »
To be honest, while these may improve your headlights slightly, they won't alter the basic handicap of the T1050, which is the projector headlight system. Those that have tried over the years usually come back to one, or both, of the following choices:
1) Upgrade to the TSport headlamps. Expensive, but does work. Means doubling up on bulb wires and fitting a headlamp relay. Since nobody makes an add-on harness any more, this choice is really for those happy with electrical wiring.
2) Fit external LED spotlamps or driving lights.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #3 on: 25 October, 2018, 11:09:02 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
To be honest, while these may improve your headlights slightly, they won't alter the basic handicap of the T1050, which is the projector headlight system. Those that have tried over the years usually come back to one, or both, of the following choices:
1) Upgrade to the TSport headlamps. Expensive, but does work. Means doubling up on bulb wires and fitting a headlamp relay. Since nobody makes an add-on harness any more, this choice is really for those happy with electrical wiring.
2) Fit external LED spotlamps or driving lights.

BUT they may help with starting, by reducing the initial drain on the battery  :062:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline GriffTile

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Doncaster
« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2018, 01:02:51 PM »
Thanks for the advice chaps.  I have made efforts with the Achilles heel by the addition of a pair of LED spotlamps which have improved night riding by a country mile.
I'll get onto finding a pair of Evitek as recommended.  Every little helps.  Thanks again

Griff
'A Triple a day - keeps the doctor at bay'

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2018, 04:09:44 PM »
8 seems to good to be true, so it probably is. The picture and specs of the bulb (BA20) wont fit many bikes either, looks like a scooter bulb to me
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Camcow

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2012 Red SE ABS
  • City / Town: Burlington MA
« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2018, 04:31:43 PM »
Some guys have put in new projector assemblies designed around LED or Xenon bulbs. Those might be a good compromise, especially if you've got some downtime coming up for winter. They do require cutting into the existing assembly and permanently modifying it, so not a bolt-on upgrade.

Previous owner of my '12 SE installed the Tiger Sport headlamps, which are indeed a great upgrade, but a bit pricey. I imagine it cost >$350 for all the parts and wiring.

Camcow

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2018, 08:02:19 PM »
Don't do anything that requires radical surgery unless its installing a complete assembly. Adding LEDs or HIDs will most likey end up in an MOT fail. I have LEDs in my Sport but know I have to put the originals back in at MOT time. I would just add auxilliary LEDs and only re-assess if that's not good enough.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 1050, KTM 1190 Adv.
  • City / Town: Suwanee
« Reply #8 on: 26 October, 2018, 01:50:00 PM »
Having been on this site a while and watched the progression, I don't think the Sport headlight conversion is expensive. The outcome is guaranteed and there is no more need to mess around with lighting or tack on aux lights. Many folks here have progressed through the various options and ended up with a sub-standard outcome or finally gone 'Sport'. The cumulative aggro and cost surely justifies doing it right from the beginning? IMHO.

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #9 on: 28 October, 2018, 03:11:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by ZuluTiger [+]
Having been on this site a while and watched the progression, I don't think the Sport headlight conversion is expensive. The outcome is guaranteed and there is no more need to mess around with lighting or tack on aux lights. Many folks here have progressed through the various options and ended up with a sub-standard outcome or finally gone 'Sport'. The cumulative aggro and cost surely justifies doing it right from the beginning? IMHO.

I think this is good advice. I've only been out a handful of times, at night, but must say, the  TS lights seem to be just as good as car lights. Very good indeed  :031:.
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8