Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: LED Main Lamps  (Read 1754 times)

Offline GriffTile

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Doncaster
Re: LED Main Lamps
« Reply #10 on: 01 November, 2018, 10:08:06 PM »

Some progress, I found evitek they can send me a pair of thier lamps, however they need some questions answered.  I've been browsing other threads ref the 'H' number.  Evitek asked me what did I have fitted originally - I can't remember, currently I have H7's.fitted.  Evitek is asking me do I want H4's or H11's and I don't know - What's the difference?  I have just trawled through my Triumph service manual, nowhere does it tell me what 'H' number replacement lamps are fitted.  I am now more confused then ever

Griff
'A Triple a day - keeps the doctor at bay'

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
« Reply #11 on: 01 November, 2018, 10:36:39 PM »
H7 for the low beam (LHS). H9 for the high beam (RHS).

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #12 on: 02 November, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »
You may run into a few issues with the "H" type LED replacement lamps. Most have some type of heatsink or mini cooling fan on the end and may have clearance issues. Don't think you will be able to re fit the plastic covers back over the bulbs. They may be bright but the beam pattern may be useless at night, some allow for rotation of the LED elements which can help with a bit of experimentation. And I have read that in the UK, use of these bulbs may cause an MOT failure.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Dusty ST

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Brighton, Sussex
« Reply #13 on: 02 November, 2018, 11:22:40 AM »
*Originally Posted by gosling 1 [+]
You may run into a few issues with the "H" type LED replacement lamps. Most have some type of heatsink or mini cooling fan on the end and may have clearance issues. Don't think you will be able to re fit the plastic covers back over the bulbs.

Some where on this forum someone has cut holes in those plastic covers for the heatsink/fan assy, they're only 3-4 each so easy to return to OEM if required
17 Tiger Sport 1050
08 Sprint 1050ST
01 GSX1400 K2

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #14 on: 02 November, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »
The Cyclops fit fine on the sport without cutting anything.  But as the OP has an 07 I wouldn't spend that much to put them into those projectors.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Biccys

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #15 on: 06 November, 2018, 11:30:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
I think this is good advice. I've only been out a handful of times, at night, but must say, the  TS lights seem to be just as good as car lights. Very good indeed  :031:.

The highlighted bit here is really interesting because I thought the TS lights were atrocious! I'm looking at getting them replaced with LED's that are MOT compatible for both dipped & full beam. I've been quoted roughly 60 for all 4, which sounds a lot but I may be able to find the lamps cheaper once I know which ones to get!! I'm also looking at putting some aux spots on as well, and adding a pair of handguard mounted strips of 6 led's which double up as a pair of aux indicators when they're selected.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #16 on: 06 November, 2018, 12:05:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Biccys [+]
The highlighted bit here is really interesting because I thought the TS lights were atrocious! I'm looking at getting them replaced with LED's that are MOT compatible for both dipped & full beam. I've been quoted roughly 60 for all 4, which sounds a lot but I may be able to find the lamps cheaper once I know which ones to get!! I'm also looking at putting some aux spots on as well, and adding a pair of handguard mounted strips of 6 led's which double up as a pair of aux indicators when they're selected.
Please let us know the details if that pans out, especially at that price. I did a fair bit of research 2 years ago because I was long distance commuting over winter. At the time such a thing did not exist - at least not as a direct clip in replacement. I opted for the Cyclops bulbs as the best around at the time. These are great as long as you remember to clean the covers before or after every ride (same applies to any lights once the gritters come out). Next service I had the dealer check them on his MOT machine and he confirmed that they were a technical fail. He did not say he would fail them and mentioned that he was a biker too  :008:. My last bike had HIDs and some testers let them pass and some didn't  :027:.

I also have LED aux lights which are really very good. My first MOT is almost a year off but if they fail I will probably just put halogens back in and rely on the spots. If you're getting spots anyway put those on first and then decide if you still need better.

Offline Biccys

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #17 on: 06 November, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
Please let us know the details if that pans out, especially at that price. I did a fair bit of research 2 years ago because I was long distance commuting over winter. At the time such a thing did not exist - at least not as a direct clip in replacement. I opted for the Cyclops bulbs as the best around at the time. These are great as long as you remember to clean the covers before or after every ride (same applies to any lights once the gritters come out). Next service I had the dealer check them on his MOT machine and he confirmed that they were a technical fail. He did not say he would fail them and mentioned that he was a biker too  :008:. My last bike had HIDs and some testers let them pass and some didn't  :027:.

I also have LED aux lights which are really very good. My first MOT is almost a year off but if they fail I will probably just put halogens back in and rely on the spots. If you're getting spots anyway put those on first and then decide if you still need better.

This is an excellent suggestion.....

I'll see how they look and if they are OK might sack off the LED's for the sake of 60... I had some Chinese LED's in my old tiger 800 and they were immensely bright so when I got the TS I was very disappointed in them. I did get some more Chinese ones for it but they're junk. They don't send the light backwards to the reflectors so the light out front just spread out with no real benefit other than I could be seen from all angles. I just couldn't see anything from the bike! Awkward.

Online seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #18 on: 06 November, 2018, 01:00:24 PM »
This is what I have. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LV44FJG/. Simple on/off, no fancy flashing modes and no variable power. Have seen others that look identical at a lower price  but  :027:

Bracket is from Squaredeals with a simple switch on the bars powered by a switched live feed. No need for a relay.

Oh and they've been there for 2 years (about 30k) and I ride all year.
« Last Edit: 06 November, 2018, 01:04:40 PM by seangee »

Offline MattR302

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: New Haven CT
« Reply #19 on: 07 November, 2018, 04:42:24 AM »
I bought my  2010 with the Tiger Sport headlight already installed. My previous bike was 2007 Yamaha FZ6/Fazer. Since the Yamaha also had notoriously poor headlights, I did a HID projector retrofit. (Good ones, not cheap Ebay China garbage). The HIDs on my Yamaha absolutely put the Tiger Sport headlight to shame.

Here is a HID projector retrofit kit for the Tiger - this is definitely the direction I would go if I was starting from scratch. https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/triumph-tiger-1050-daytona-675-mh1-1.html
« Last Edit: 07 November, 2018, 04:44:38 AM by MattR302 »