Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New from NorCal  (Read 1782 times)

Offline wrchael

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger
  • City / Town: Canton, OH
Re: New from NorCal
« Reply #10 on: 31 October, 2018, 01:08:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

I too have a 2007 and wind noise is a problem with the stock screen.  It seems to hit me right at top of my shoulders.  I use custom made ear plugs and they   make a big difference. 

I also tried different screens.  One has a flip at the top and works best when my wife is one the back.  The Givi seems to work best for me and wind noise.

Offline 07_1050_ABS

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: '07 Tiger 1050 ABS
  • City / Town: NorCal
« Reply #11 on: 31 October, 2018, 01:30:56 AM »
Thanks all for the advice. I'm going to try no shield this weekend & work up from there.

Weather isn't really an issue here.... if it does get chilly I have the bagger.

Indy.... if the Madstad shield you never took out of the box is the short version....  :158:

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #12 on: 31 October, 2018, 07:13:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by 07_1050_ABS [+]
Thanks all for the advice. I'm going to try no shield this weekend & work up from there.

Weather isn't really an issue here.... if it does get chilly I have the bagger.

Indy.... if the Madstad shield you never took out of the box is the short version....  :158:

Whats chilly there? 15c no doubt :006:
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline 07_1050_ABS

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #13 on: 31 October, 2018, 11:21:04 AM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Whats chilly there? 15c no doubt :006:

Well, it IS  a little cloudy  :031:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #14 on: 31 October, 2018, 12:17:50 PM »
26 degrees C !!!! Balmy .........  :010:

Offline turtle

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
« Reply #15 on: 31 October, 2018, 04:58:43 PM »
Congrats on the new ride.  Love that blue! 

It sounds like a short screen might be best for you, but I landed on the other side of the spectrum.  I also came from a bike with a barn door (Kawasaki ZG1000).  I had read about the wind noise on the Tiger, so I was concerned.  As luck would have it the bike had a Madstad on it.  I run it with the screen all the way down and tucked in, and for me (5'9", 31 inch inseam) it has been great.  Plenty of the right airflow (all temps) and minimal to acceptable buffeting and noise.  I wear ear plugs on longer rides, but not back and forth to work and it is not a problem. 

The Madstad isn't the prettiest thing in the world though, and wanting a sportier look, I tried a stock screen and a MRA Vario with the movable lip.  I thought I would use one of those for around town, and put the Madstad on when it got cold or on longer trips.  Never happened with either one.  I found them to be pretty much the same.  Not much buffeting, but being directly in the air stream it was LOUD!  I also like to ride with my visor up and there was no way that was going to work with those screens. 

So the Madstad stayed on and I eventually sold the other 2 screens.  If you get one you'd want to add some brace bars to support it IMO.  There have been nose fairings crack between the headlights because the Madstad is kinda heavy.

Anyway, glad you're 99% loving it.  I know why - it's a great bike!
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline 07_1050_ABS

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #16 on: 06 November, 2018, 12:59:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by indytiger1050 [+]
Pull the wind screen and see what you think.

I love my short screen.  Bought a Madstad and never took it out of the box.
Get some ear plugs for wind noise.  Wind is cooling so short for most of year. If  your wanting to do cold weather  then a MadStad if the way to go. IMO

Check the stickies, two biggest and most talked about issues. Wind and lighting.

So I pulled the screen today & went for a ride.... amazing. The wind noise is almost completely gone.... eerie sounding in comparison. It's like the windscreen generates wind. The Brits may have inadvertently invented a perpetual motion device.... Tigers running around everywhere powering homes etc.  :745:

I'll need to find a cheap screen to cut down... looks odd with nothing at all on there. Or, does anyone sell a shorty?

=edit=.... I see Powerbronze has the shorty screens  :028:

Thanks for the tip  :031:
« Last Edit: 06 November, 2018, 01:38:10 AM by 07_1050_ABS »

Offline Grouchybastard

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger Pro
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Buckheaven Orygun
« Reply #17 on: 06 November, 2018, 01:47:36 AM »
Welcome. I'm new as well and these guys on the forum are awesome. As you can tell.  Safe rides......

Offline TIGERSTAR

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 Sport
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #18 on: 11 November, 2018, 06:08:44 PM »
Hi and welcome from a fellow newbie  :405:

Offline 07_1050_ABS

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #19 on: 11 November, 2018, 09:52:47 PM »
Got the Powerbronze shield on.... what a difference. The wind noise is at least reduced by half, maybe more. I think some of the problem may be my Shark Carbon Pro modular helmet.... not the most aerodynamic.

The shield fits perfectly, gives a sporty look  :031:

If things get REALLY cold, like down into the 60s I have another shield...

:164: