Author Topic: Starting Tiger 1050 with Headlight off  (Read 4204 times)

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Suwanee
Re: Starting Tiger 1050 with Headlight off
Reply #20 on: 30 October, 2020, 12:07:02 AM
It's not just a matter of swapping out a handlebar switch. It involves relays, unless you are willing to route high current through this switch which is a bad idea. The old 1050 has enough issues with poor lights, no need to add another volt-drop path. Like one of the posters above, I wanted to be able to switch off my lights while doing TuneECU stuff and also wanted a balanced headlight (two low, two high). It ended up being a project. I started with adding H4's to make it work but the light pattern was still useless. A Sport headlight, some creative wiring and relays is the only way to go. Not for everyone but if done right it's a game changer. I have a fully switched park/low/high beam setup that I challenge Hinckley to improve. I added a handlebar switch and three relays all hidden in the steering stem bracket, admittedly, but that gave me a button for a garage door opener. Maybe I'm just a talented fool since I had most of the hardware in a drawer and all of the tools. And time. It really soaked up some hours.     

Offline llama

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: '08 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: NC
Reply #21 on: 02 November, 2020, 07:33:39 PM
Where did the switch pod come from?  Is it off the Tiger Sport or maybe from some non-US version of the Tiger 1050 where they're allowed to turn off their headlight? Do any of the connectors match up to the Tiger 1050, or does everything need to be rewired? 

Offline hangman

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2007
Reply #22 on: 04 November, 2020, 08:17:14 AM
You can also wire the headlights to the oil pressure switch with a relay.
Last Edit: 04 November, 2020, 08:19:54 AM by hangman

Offline TigerSteve

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Scorched Yellow
  • City / Town: Cheltenham
Reply #23 on: 22 February, 2021, 09:33:38 PM
Guys,
Quite a few years back I added a relay contact between the headlamp / starter relay and the headlamp circuit. My new relay was then powered from the headlamp circuit and grounded via the side stand switch. I added a reverse emf diode because the side stand circuit went into the ECU just in case.

Simply starting with the side stand down my headlamps are off. Other interlocks prevent riding without headlamps. Have always intended to add a flashing LED to this circuit to warn of stand down. Yep, still getting caught.

This mod got me going a couple of times on my weak battery. An aging ??14 type.

Only problem is it routinely fails the MOT on failed headlamps.
Scorched Yellow Tiger + Palmer Screen, SWMo Bars & Givi E55 box.

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #24 on: 22 February, 2021, 09:53:13 PM
Comment deleted.

Offline TCC

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: St Ives, Sydney
Reply #25 on: 23 February, 2021, 02:36:18 AM
I'm pretty sure the headlight turns off as soon as you press the starter button.

Offline TigerSteve

• Tiger God
Reply #26 on: 23 February, 2021, 08:31:26 AM
*Originally Posted by TCC [+]
I'm pretty sure the headlight turns off as soon as you press the starter button.

Yep. The starter flips a relay that drives either the headlights or starter on my 07 Tiger. Its one or other.

As soon as you turn the key you get headlights AND the fuel pump pressuring the system. All hitting the battery hard. Not also having the lights is going help leave a bit more in the battery to start up. Remember, if the battery dips too much the ECU will say " NO" and you have to start over.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • City / Town: Back in Blighty
Reply #27 on: 23 February, 2021, 09:43:52 PM
*Originally Posted by TigerSteve [+]
Guys,
Quite a few years back I added a relay contact between the headlamp / starter relay and the headlamp circuit. My new relay was then powered from the headlamp circuit and grounded via the side stand switch. I added a reverse emf diode because the side stand circuit went into the ECU just in case.

Simply starting with the side stand down my headlamps are off. Other interlocks prevent riding without headlamps. Have always intended to add a flashing LED to this circuit to warn of stand down. Yep, still getting caught.

This mod got me going a couple of times on my weak battery. An aging ??14 type.

Only problem is it routinely fails the MOT on failed headlamps.
Have done exactly the same thing, also by using the sidestand earth for the headlamp relay, and it has also saved my bacon a few times, just by saving a bit more power for those tricky hot-start times.

Never had a problem with the MOT, as long as I told them how it worked first.

Offline TigerSteve

• Tiger God
Reply #28 on: 24 February, 2021, 01:11:34 AM
Guys,
Any one getting a bit of deja vu here might want to revisit this old thread: 

https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,37268.msg411487.html#msg411487

Also other useful stuff from back then.

(3781)
Last Edit: 24 February, 2021, 01:13:48 AM by TigerSteve

Online ZuluTiger

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
Reply #29 on: 24 February, 2021, 01:45:53 AM
It's a bit depressing to realize that a large portion of this topic is based on a government decision to take away the switch that gave us control of the headlight. Now we are reinventing ways to bypass that when there was a perfectly good switch cluster that did it all. I installed a duplicate (for $12) and use it all the time, especially after the bike has been standing for a while. Also, I like being able to flick the headlights off and on while behind a reflective surface (like a car) to check that my lights are good.

I originally installed my switch cluster to use TuneECU but even that is now moot with the narrow application of Android access. I began with Windows XP and the relevant cable but assume that is all now junk. I doubt I'd ever change my tune again as it's running fine. Later bikes don't even allow access so it's a shrinking market.

So, the issue is mostly about reducing load immediately before and during start up and any subsequent cranking. A problem we never had if we had the switch! Now we're running into MOT hassles because of interlocks, voltage sag, et al. This is why engineers need to run government and power utilities. Ask Texas. Independent? Unregulated? Or just out of touch? And isolationist? Insular? Selfish?

How about the way John Deere (and others) make it impossible to service your own equipment without massive IT skill? I'm fundamentally a centrist but the overreach by government-enabled monopoly is killing us all at home. My 20-year old Prowler is still essentially out of my reach to repair since it has 3-4 CPU's and needs a dealer - who no longer has the DRBIII tool in working form!

The days of the average guy making a plan at home are shrinking. And with that will go inventiveness, ingenuity, hand skills and innovation. I'm glad I'm old and will not be around for the new world, sadly.

There was a guy on this forum who ran me down repeatedly and would comment that I was a gingerbeer and he was a welder who did actual stuff. In reality, I MADE my own welder using a defunct power station battery charger core, figured out the core size reduction that would saturate rather than nuke my workpiece (bet 'welder' never thought of that), rewound the windings (primary and secondary) with almost 30 taps to allow for a broad span of current, made the frame, the covers, the bushings, the cover panels, etc. and then used that machine to weld up my Lotus Super Seven chassis. I had to run a lathe, milling machine, oxy-acetylene kit, grinder and buffer (which tore off my mates finger 'cos he kept his ring on) and  I was probably the least skilled guy in the Test Department where I interned but I doubt many young folks could do this now.

Before I get off my pedestal, I'll say that I was no pure and motivated engineer / technician. I was just poor. No cash. Almost everything I did was motivated by having zilch bucks. Now, a trip to Harbor Freight can get you a MIG / TIG, Amazon will drop off a 3-D printer. Lowes has every tool you can imagine for 75% off on Black Friday, Made In China. Like monkeys, we can all now drill holes, cut off 2x4's or sand our floors. But, the Chinese can send people into space and make every tool we buy. The technology is in the hands of our once-disadvantaged trading partners, then competitors and now our masters. The 500-year plan at work and succeeding without a shot fired.

WTH?

PS. Saw a reference to British Leyland today. That was the premier brand back in 1969 in South Africa, let me tell you. Now? Gone, right? Along with incredible British innovation. Like the LHS light switch on a Tiger 1050... :-)

Last Edit: 24 February, 2021, 02:42:27 AM by ZuluTiger