Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Adjustable footpegs  (Read 402 times)

Offline hatchm

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Kingsbridge
Adjustable footpegs
« on: 11 October, 2018, 10:00:30 AM »
Hi all,

After dropping my bike and breaking the right foot peg, I was thinking of replacing them with some adjustable pegs. After doing over 800 miles over a weekend and ending up with a numb bum, I figured that it wasn't actually the saddle but the way the peg position forces me to sit.

I was looking at the MFW ones after seeing reviews on here, but they seem crazy expensive and have found some cheap Chinese ones on ebay that are listed for a Sprint ST. I figured for 35 posted they are worth a punt and if they work for me I would get the MFWs:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Triumph-Sprint-ST-05-06-07-08-TITANIUM-25mm-Adjustable-Front-Foot-pegs/292762477300?hash=item442a00e2f4:g:8kkAAOSw2jNbu2Q3

Does anyone know if sprint st foot pegs would fit a TS?

Thanks

Mike

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Adjustable footpegs
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2018, 10:08:28 AM »
Cannot answer your question about Sprint footpegs, but I would definitely warn you off those cheap Chinese ones. They have a reputation for bending and/or breaking off completely when under stress, i.e a heavy person jumps on them.   :005:  I wouldn't touch them  with a bargepole.

The MFW ones are expensive, as are the SW-Motech variety (which I have). Both are German-made, and CE certified. Yes they're dear, but so are the side fairings if you fall over in the petrol station. Your choice .....

Offline hatchm

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: 11 October, 2018, 10:31:12 AM »
Yeah, that is a thought I'd already had so thanks for confirming my doubts. Buy cheap, pay twice and all that.

Do they actually make a difference? I'm happy to pay for them if they will actually make me sit a bit further back so I can keep the standard saddle - I don't want to get it reupholstered as I like the look of the standard seat.

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #3 on: 11 October, 2018, 01:22:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by hatchm [+]
Yeah, that is a thought I'd already had so thanks for confirming my doubts. Buy cheap, pay twice and all that.

Do they actually make a difference? I'm happy to pay for them if they will actually make me sit a bit further back so I can keep the standard saddle - I don't want to get it reupholstered as I like the look of the standard seat.
Ask Paul2bikes, he was extolling the virtues of  the MFW adjustable footpegs the other day.  :028: (at least i think they were MFW ones  :187: )
see this thread
 https://www.tiger1050.com/index.php/topic,39517.msg436323.html#msg436323
« Last Edit: 11 October, 2018, 01:34:33 PM by Tigermike »
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2018, 03:09:31 PM »

They don't help you sit further back - assuming you're at the back of the rider's seat anyway. What they do is drop the knee slightly, so more comfortable angle for the knee. Also they arch your spine it bit more forward (we're talking mm here), and in the process they may well make it easier to push back on the seat.

Unfortunately the num bumb thing is usually down to not enough miles on the bike, as they do seem to adapt to your derriere over time. I found my seat very bad at first, but 10K later it feels quite reasonable.
« Last Edit: 11 October, 2018, 03:11:28 PM by Paullie »

Online seangee

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2018, 04:19:15 PM »
I wouldn't rule that out. Re-upholstering mine is one of the best things I have done to it. In my case I raised the seat so did need a new cover but the guys did a good job. The stock seat had me sliding into the tank all the time so even when I started out at the back of the seat that's where I ended up. Raising the front section (and a general re-shape) made a world of difference.

The red piping is because I bought a seat from a 13 model on ebay and asked the upholsterer to copy the original cover.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2018, 05:14:48 PM »

I had Tony Archer flatten my seat & fit a gel insert then refit the original cover 'cos I like that cover also.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Timbox

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2018, 05:16:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]

I had Tony Archer flatten my seat & fit a gel insert then refit the original cover 'cos I like that cover also.

At least it wasnt Jeffrey :001:
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2018, 05:42:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
At least it wasnt Jeffrey :001:
He'd have claimed he invented adventure bikes in the first place ....

Offline hatchm

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2018, 06:56:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
I wouldn't rule that out. Re-upholstering mine is one of the best things I have done to it. In my case I raised the seat so did need a new cover but the guys did a good job. The stock seat had me sliding into the tank all the time so even when I started out at the back of the seat that's where I ended up. Raising the front section (and a general re-shape) made a world of difference.

The red piping is because I bought a seat from a 13 model on ebay and asked the upholsterer to copy the original cover.

yeah this is the issue I have so end up with sore balls as well as a numb [censored].

The red stitching works on your  bike, but mine is the black and yellow. Annoyingly when I bought my bike I had them stick a new saddle on as it had a small fag burn. I should have asked them for the old one. I bet they don't have it anymore.