Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 1050 Clutch issues......or is it just a 'thing'  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Spannaz

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
1050 Clutch issues......or is it just a 'thing'
« on: 10 October, 2018, 07:48:11 PM »
Am new to the whole bike thing, and the tiger so apologise for any newbie errors.
I have a 2009 1050 with 38k on the clock, however i tried moving the bike this monring, whilst in gear, and the clutch pulled in, but it refused. Was basically acting as if i hadnt pulled the clutch in at all!
Now i have always notice a sever clunk, and a jolt forward, but only first time, and would be ok when warm. Having checked the history it has already had new clutch plates, lifter,cable etc all genuine and within the last 6k/12 months.
Now i have tried adjusting the cable to the maximum amount of reach, still no different, in fact the clutch arm will not travel any further even if i lever it. Bike still won't move.
Now what is the possible cause, and how serious could this get. Love the bike to bits, comfy, easy to ride, more than quick enough for me, and puts a smile on my face everytime i ride it, but i'm a little worried that it could end up being serious?

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
Re: 1050 Clutch issues......or is it just a 'thing'
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2018, 08:13:29 PM »
 :405:

So if you have adjusted the screw adjuster and also the lever adjuster and you are still not getting enough leverage; perhaps you just need to loosen the cable and pull in another 10mm, or so, at the gear box end of the clutch cable?
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Spannaz

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2018, 08:26:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
:405:

So if you have adjusted the screw adjuster and also the lever adjuster and you are still not getting enough leverage; perhaps you just need to loosen the cable and pull in another 10mm, or so, at the gear box end of the clutch cable?

Done that as well, i have actually got it to the point it pulls the arm on the clutch housing as far forward as mechanically possible. then applied even more pressure manual on the arm to move it another 5mm forward, even then the bike will not move, and cranking it, well, i might as well have not pulled the clutch in at all!
Tried again when hot, whilst it is improved, you can still feel the engine trying to crank, depsite pulling the clutch in, select neutral and the bike moves freely.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2018, 10:12:35 PM »
I'm assuming all you have to do is warm the bike up a bit in neutral for it to free up?

But the clutch plates are obviously sticking. Could be notches in the cage that are preventing the plates from moving fully (can be improved with some filing  :015:, but a new cage is better). Could be the plate material is swollen - again replacement is best, though I believe you can treat the plates with something to reduce swelling.

But main thing is oil, I believe. Which oil are you using? And when last changed? It's pretty important to follow the Triumph spec'd oil exactly, otherwise you can get clutch problems.

Offline Spannaz

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #4 on: 11 October, 2018, 07:50:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
I'm assuming all you have to do is warm the bike up a bit in neutral for it to free up?

But the clutch plates are obviously sticking. Could be notches in the cage that are preventing the plates from moving fully (can be improved with some filing  :015:, but a new cage is better). Could be the plate material is swollen - again replacement is best, though I believe you can treat the plates with something to reduce swelling.

But main thing is oil, I believe. Which oil are you using? And when last changed? It's pretty important to follow the Triumph spec'd oil exactly, otherwise you can get clutch problems.

Yes, warm it up and it improves alot, not perfect, but nothing i couldn't live with. The cage is something i have read about, not a cheap item either according to Triumph prices, easily see it hit 1000 !! So, as it is only 3 weeks over it's 3 month warranty period (purchased used but from a reputable local dealer) they have taken it straigh back to investigate. Fingers crossed it will be something less serious, don't want to have to either throw loads of money at it, or look at another bike. Only done about 1200 miles on it since buying (probably not even that) but the dealer did replace oil and filter prior to collection, so maybe that is something i need to discuss with them also, but they do know their stuff, especially these Triumphs. Will keep the post updated once they have reported back, as it maybe of good reference to others.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 11 October, 2018, 09:57:11 AM »
Are we talking about Laguna?  Just curious ....

Offline Spannaz

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2018, 11:47:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
Are we talking about Laguna?  Just curious ....

Nooo. They were too busy drinking coffee to sell me a bike.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #7 on: 11 October, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »
Has this bike been stood idle for a while? Sounds like clutch plates are sticking.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Spannaz

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #8 on: 11 October, 2018, 06:23:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Has this bike been stood idle for a while? Sounds like clutch plates are sticking.

I wouldn't say any considerable amount of time, but it has recently only be stood on its side stand. I don't use it daily, so it could be stood for a week or so. When I was away for 4 weeks it was on its centre stand. From what I have found from reading, reading and watching videos on you tube, that sticking plates are likely to be the most likely culprit.
From research new plates should be soaked over night, and it's highly likely that when the garage replaced them 6k ago, that may not have happened. Video on YouTube shows a new tiger with 5k on it with the exact same problem as I have. I am now betting money, that when the garage removes the clutch, they are stuck, and that correctly soaking them and refitting should rectify the issue. Fingers crossed its not a worn basket, as those I hear can be rather expensive to replace.

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2018, 06:58:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Spannaz [+]
I wouldn't say any considerable amount of time, but it has recently only be stood on its side stand. I don't use it daily, so it could be stood for a week or so. When I was away for 4 weeks it was on its centre stand. From what I have found from reading, reading and watching videos on you tube, that sticking plates are likely to be the most likely culprit.
From research new plates should be soaked over night, and it's highly likely that when the garage replaced them 6k ago, that may not have happened. Video on YouTube shows a new tiger with 5k on it with the exact same problem as I have. I am now betting money, that when the garage removes the clutch, they are stuck, and that correctly soaking them and refitting should rectify the issue. Fingers crossed its not a worn basket, as those I hear can be rather expensive to replace.

Aye m8, you got it. If there is no noticeable wear, & there shouldn't be at that mileage, then the plates needt soaking overnight as you say, in same engine oil.

Did they give a reason for fitting the new clutch plates? Maybe it was previously owned by a city commuter, but then it's fairly low miles for a 9 year old bike.

The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci