Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 1050 SE - "snatching" at low revs when hot.  (Read 1109 times)

Offline zwavoo

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Sittingbourne
Tiger 1050 SE - "snatching" at low revs when hot.
« on: 16 September, 2018, 05:51:38 PM »
Hello Everyone.

I have a 2012 (62 Plate) Tiger 1050 SE. A truly wonderful machine (compared to my previous 20 year old 600 Bandit). I am finding my daily commute much more comfortable (Kent to Cambridge) with exception that the later parts of both directions are filled with continual "Snatching". I stole that term from another post which describes exactly what is happening to me.

When the bike is hot, if I try to cruise at any speed where the revs are at 4000 or lower, the bike continually feels that I am "snatching" the throttle. There is an additional apparent "Rattling" sound which I thought was a loose chain or something, but Ive checked, and the tension seems correct from what Ive measured. Friends have had a go on the bike, and dont see what the fuss is about. Ive tried others bikes, and at all revs they all seem a lot smoother. Its a mystery to me.

The best description I can find was from a similar post describing exactly what I have here. That person says that the mapping could be improved, but I am at a bit of a loss, and would welcome any advice that the forum has to offer me.

Any advice gladly received?

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
Re: Tiger 1050 SE - "snatching" at low revs when hot.
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2018, 06:06:51 PM »
 :405: zwavoo, sounds like you possibly need to change your map with TuneECU but 1st we need a bit more info about your new ride,
what exhaust have you got, has it still got the Cat & SAI fitted, also what fuel grade are you using - normal or super unleaded?  :027:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline zwavoo

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2018, 07:44:14 PM »
Hello Tigermike, thanks for picking up my sad tale :-)

From what I can tell, the bike is as it left the factory. The exhaust is unmarked and I believe is stock (though I cant help feeling it looks like an Arrow can). I believe the CAT is intact, and I have no idea what an SAI is. I am using Standard unleaded from Shell, although now and again I treat her to a tank of super.

I have downloaded TuneEcu, though I havent played with it yet as I only have an ELM327 adapter. I will order a cable if I need to (?) and take advice from anyone on what to do next.

Thanks

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #3 on: 16 September, 2018, 08:46:31 PM »
So long as your ELM adapter is v1.5 or earlier, it should work OK. I by far prefer the USB cable solution, to a laptop ('cos I'm old school).

Put up a photo of your exhaust, so we can tell you what it is. If you are all stock, you can simply load Dave73's tune and you will be good to go.

As soon as you connect, it will show you which tune is presently loaded. Let us know what it is, which will may give us some other clues?

Specifically, regarding the snatch, when the bike is hot, you might want to try adjusting the throttle play a little. It could just be that once the bike is really hot, the cable expands a little too much, for you to be able to feel it starting to engage, early enough. Also, I installed a Booster Plug on my MKI Tiger. It completely killed the snatch issue, for me.
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Tigermike

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2010 Bk/Grey 1050SE
  • City / Town: Banbury
« Reply #4 on: 16 September, 2018, 09:33:40 PM »
 :0461: with Yellow Dog, if you have a stock bike Dave73's V2 map will sort out the snatching at low revs  :028:
Worked a treat on my bike, nice and smooth now  :123:
Yam RD125 DX, Kwak GPZ305, Honda CB400T, 1983 Kwak GT550, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Tiger 1050SE .... got there in the end.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 16 September, 2018, 09:58:34 PM »
Before you launch in on changing all the fuelling, it's worth checking that all the basics are set properly. How many miles has the bike? And is it up to date on servicing?

I ask because it sounds like you have the classic 'hunting' behaviour, i.e. varying power output at low to medium revs, for the same throttle opening. It's well-known on this forum, and  often the solution is to slightly richen the mixture at low throttle settings by using a different tune, as suggested above.

However, before you get into that, first try a new air filter, new plugs, and balance your throttle bodies (which you can do with your mobile phone, tuneECU and a bluetooth dongle. Once those are all set properly, run a couple of tanks of fuel with injector cleaner added.

After all that, I'd be very surprised if your problem isn't mostly sorted! If it is still bad then, you can start on alternative tunes.  :002:

Offline zwavoo

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2018, 08:41:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for jumping onto this. I can see that this is a fairly common problem, and I am preparing myself to jump into TuneEcu on my laptop this week. This morning's ride was atrocious, the traffic was quite busy so I had to slow ride most of the way which is when the snatching is most apparent. I have uploaded pictures into this reply for YellowDog to help determine what my bike has installed...

Thanks for all your help so far. Regarding Paullie's comment, I have only had the bike for a month. The dealer (apparently) serviced it when I bought it. The oil filter looks fairly clean, so I suspect its not long been in there.
Looking forward to your comments everyone, and thanks again...

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #7 on: 17 September, 2018, 08:57:02 AM »
Umm, sorry to rain on your parade, but I'll ask again. How many miles has the bike, and do you have service records? Saying the oil filter 'looks clean' is laughably irrelevant as a guide to whether servicing has been carried out. Almost all dealers say they will service the bike before supplying to a new owner, but very many don't (mine didn't, even though in other respects it's a good workshop).

A better guide is to examine the colour and state of the oil on the dipstick. But there's only one way to be sure, and that is to change the oil and filter yourself. The same for the other stuff I mentioned - it's pointless getting into the whole fuelling business until you're sure the basics have been done.

Anyway, I'll let you get on now. Good luck ....

Offline Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #8 on: 17 September, 2018, 09:41:31 AM »
Hi Zwavoo, Paullie is correct in that you first need to ensure we have a level playing field. The mileage is important, particularly if it has already had it s first major service done, as per the correct schedule, and by a Triumph dealer?

If you can take a photo of the end of the exhaust, this will tell us it it is a Triumph off road version, or the standard unit? Whilst this may sound silly, it does affect your choice of tune.

Most of us have removed the fuel tank and taken a look inside the airbox, to block the erroneous hole and also to ensure that the air filter is clean. You may wish to read about the airbox mod, that many have done. The Sticky sections can be very helpful, with how tos, for just about everything  :169:
Oh.... and I never got to say  :405:

2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline zwavoo

• Tiger Newbie
« Reply #9 on: 17 September, 2018, 10:52:09 AM »
I was merely pointing out that sometime very recently, someone has had their hands on the oil filter, and while its not a guarantee that they actually did anything, it is an indicator that "some" work was done. I am unusually inclined to believe that this dealer is true to his word (for a change), and he did carry out a service when I bought the bike a month or so ago. It has done a shade over 30k so far, and at present I am adding about 600-700 a week while the weather is nice. The exhaust is the "standard unit", and we do not believe that the "erroneous hole" has been tampered with. To the best of mine, and the dealers knowledge, this bike is standard, and regularly serviced (the book has stamps, but I dont have it with me today).

Thanks again,