Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Something Different  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Bodger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Tiger sport/Street R
  • City / Town: Aberdeen
Re: Something Different
« Reply #10 on: 13 September, 2018, 02:19:51 PM »
Angel GTs are a good tyre (a country mile better than the ST that come on the Tiger) I had them on my Sprint GT around Europe a few times never felt them give once, even under extreme wet conditions.
 I've got the Road 5s on the street triple and they are very confidence inspiring (maybe too confidence inspiration)  :020:
I'll be interested to hear updates on how you get on with the Road 5s on the Tiger.
Maybe we can have a which is the  best chain lube thread to go along with the tyre one. :087:

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #11 on: 13 September, 2018, 02:49:59 PM »
The key question for all of them is - what are they like on mileage?  That's assuming they're all OK in the wet ...

Offline gosling 1

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: '08 Orange Tiger
  • City / Town: Connecticut
« Reply #12 on: 13 September, 2018, 03:15:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bodger [+]

Maybe we can have a which is the  best chain lube thread to go along with the tyre one. :087:

Be careful what you wish for, someone may start an oil thread!  :005:

The latest "sport touring" tires have evolved greatly in the last 10-15 years. Coming from a sportbike background I felt they gave up too much grip for longevity. Now you can have quick warm up, great wet/dry grip and decent wear. Still think for track days, more focused, purpose built tires make sense but for even for "spirited :038:" street riding the newest sport touring tires are more than up to the task. And now there are plenty of fine choices out there. :028:

*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
The key question for all of them is - what are they like on mileage?  That's assuming they're all OK in the wet ...

I got about 6500 miles out of the last two sets of PR4's, which is fine by me. Only have about 1500 miles on the 5's so can only hope they last as long. I have rain tested them and feel they work just as well as the 4's they replaced.
Larger than life and twice as ugly!

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #13 on: 13 September, 2018, 05:34:32 PM »
Well i used to get 18,000 miles (yes, really) out of PR3s! But that was on a previous bike, a K1200GT, which tho had plenty of power, didn't really encourage spirited riding. The Tiger is very different of course, and something about it seems to encourage me to use the acceleration more (can't think why ....  :027: ).

So hoping to get at least 10K out of present PR4s. At present only up to about 4k, and it's not looking good - don't think I'll make my target. But we'll see.

Maybe if someone produced a different throttle cam with a more gradual low end, that would help ....  :002:

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #14 on: 13 September, 2018, 08:10:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yellow Dog [+]
It's not as good as it sounds, but it is great to have just about everything you need in one place. Lots of other good biking places, but generally spread out over the City.

Do you play golf Jkd102 ?

There's 2 driving ranges there, plus Takapuna Golf Course is pretty good. Saturday's not good for me. Have an appointment tomorrow morning, but if that finishes early, I'll call you to see if you are still about.

Not really my cup of tea there YD - I do like the sound of the 19th hole though  :156:
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech Tank Bag & Tail Pack, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand.

Offline Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #15 on: 14 September, 2018, 11:08:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
So hoping to get at least 10K out of present PR4s. At present only up to about 4k, and it's not looking good - don't think I'll make my target. But we'll see.

I've got 12k out of my last two sets of PR4s, compared to about 7k from the OEM Angel STs.   I'm now on more or less exactly 42k miles and the fronts are down to the wear bars on the right-hand side, and the back is only 1mm off the wear bars in the centre.

Time for a change of rubber now.   I've priced them up, seems like the PR5 is about 30 more for a set.   Umming and ahhhing about which to get, I've been really happy on PR4s but the price of them doesn't seem to have dropped as much as I hoped, so I'm tempted to spend a touch extra and get R5s which should, in theory, be an improvement.

For me, wet grip and longevity is more important than 'feeling sporty' since I mostly commute on it and the PR4 has plenty of grip anyway, wet or dry.

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
« Reply #16 on: 14 September, 2018, 11:34:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
I've got 12k out of my last two sets of PR4s, compared to about 7k from the OEM Angel STs.   I'm now on more or less exactly 42k miles and the fronts are down to the wear bars on the right-hand side, and the back is only 1mm off the wear bars in the centre.

Time for a change of rubber now.   I've priced them up, seems like the PR5 is about 30 more for a set.   Umming and ahhhing about which to get, I've been really happy on PR4s but the price of them doesn't seem to have dropped as much as I hoped, so I'm tempted to spend a touch extra and get R5s which should, in theory, be an improvement.

For me, wet grip and longevity is more important than 'feeling sporty' since I mostly commute on it and the PR4 has plenty of grip anyway, wet or dry.

Over here the Road 5's are priced cheaper than the Road 4's.
You might be able to haggle a better price as maybe they have inflated their margin expecting that people will pay more for a new & improved version
Matt Black 17 Tiger Sport - SC-Project Carbon, Radguard, Fenda Extenda, 30mm Bar Risers, Puig screen deflector, Heavy bar ends, JBQ Shifter, Vario Pegs, SW Motech Tank Bag & Tail Pack, Triumph Tankpad & Centerstand.

Offline jkd102

• Tiger Master
« Reply #17 on: 10 October, 2018, 11:01:24 PM »
Bit of an update on the Road 5's

I have now done about 1500km on them over mostly very twisty roads and am really liking them a lot.
I find that....(compared to the Angel GTs)
-under hard braking they feel like they suck themselves into the road ie they grip!!!  :005:
-bike feels nice & neutral into corners & stable in a straight line
-side to side chicanes type bends are awesome
-definitely more grippy on the sides
-no wear concerns at this stage but we will see how long they last...I am optimistic....

Offline seangee

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #18 on: 11 October, 2018, 07:06:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
I've got 12k out of my last two sets of PR4s, compared to about 7k from the OEM Angel STs. I'm now on more or less exactly 42k miles and the fronts are down to the wear bars on the right-hand side, and the back is only 1mm off the wear bars in the centre.
IMO 12k is a little late. I always struggle to know how far in advance to book it in so I'm not changing good tyres but also to make sure I don't get caught out if there is a stock problem. Last time I did 9.5k and the front had just started going off. Plenty of tread both ends and the fitter even asked why I was changing them. When they passed 10 last week I booked them in for next weekend, by which time they will be close to 11. Still have about 1mm to the pips in front and 2 at the back. TBH I would be happy to change them now cos the front goes very quickly from "just going off" to quite squirrely for filtering. Still gripping perfectly though.
Really! Can't understand why we brits are so bothered about wet weather. 10k on and mine got their first proper soaking on the way home tonight  :745:. Tyres were absolutely fine but I have to confess I was a bit cautious with all the cr@p on the roads after the first decent rain in so long.

FWIW I have road 5s going on next weekend.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Fossil

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2018 BlackTiger Sport
  • City / Town: Newbury
« Reply #19 on: 11 October, 2018, 11:01:43 PM »
YouTuber.  ' Andymancam' has put up a vid report of his PR5's after 5000kms. they look and sound amazing, he shows an actual emergency braking he had to do in the wet when someone pulled out! 
Too old to die young!