Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hyperpro rear shock?  (Read 1324 times)

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
Re: Hyperpro rear shock?
« Reply #10 on: 17 November, 2019, 12:59:51 PM »
I'll have to take a ride on a knackered shock so I know what one feels like. My 60k mile ST955 rode better than my new ST1050. Not took another trumpet over 30k before chopping in for sumert else. My TS feels ok.....to me, at 22k.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Puccio

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: Cingoli
« Reply #11 on: 17 November, 2019, 02:26:32 PM »
If your bike feels ok to you, there's no point in fiddling too much with it  :028:

Online Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #12 on: 17 November, 2019, 03:29:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
In my case, yes.   When you ride the exact same route every day, it's easy to feel the difference.   Suddenly, in a certain 50mph bend, you realise it's not wallowing, it is tracking where you want it to and the roller-coaster feeling is gone.

Not really surprising in my case, it'd done 42k miles.   Nitron recommend a rebuild every 18k for road use.   Of course there's an element of 'they would say that', but suspension doesn't last forever.

+1, Ohlins and wilbers say 25k I think
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #13 on: 17 November, 2019, 10:21:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
I'll have to take a ride on a knackered shock so I know what one feels like. My 60k mile ST955 rode better than my new ST1050. Not took another trumpet over 30k before chopping in for sumert else. My TS feels ok.....to me, at 22k.
In my case, the rear suspension was getting unpredictable. It was too harsh when cold and riding solo, but OK when loaded up on a journey (probably because I set it for that as more distance covered in that mode). Even so, I felt it wasn't doing as well as it could do, especially over really bad undulations.

So when the Nitron came up at a bargain price, I jumped. Hope it delivers as promised, I've no time to even fit it right now.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #14 on: 18 November, 2019, 08:19:14 AM »
Remember when we all bought the new Gen 1 TS and started fiddling with suspension? There's a sticky where people put in their suspension settings, they varied incredibly with people of similar weight wacking the pre-load right up while others were backing it off.

I was in the backing off sector 'cos I felt I was getting bounced out of the seat on our poor roads oop norf. I backed off back & front, likely still do with a bit more solo 'cos it rides better with luggage. It don't like two up with luggage, likely needs pre-load wacking up a tad for that.

Asking a lot of a shock, when in my case it could have a load of 100kg, 130kg or 200kg. When the after market shocks are set up, as they say, for our personal weight & riding style, how do they cope better with such variations of use.

Wonder if enthusiastic folk do similar with their car suspension eg Got 3 passengers with suitcases today, hang on while I crawl under & up the pre-load.  :745: Just joshing don't take it seriarsely.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
« Reply #15 on: 18 November, 2019, 09:20:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Asking a lot of a shock, when in my case it could have a load of 100kg, 130kg or 200kg. When the after market shocks are set up, as they say, for our personal weight & riding style, how do they cope better with such variations of use.

Wonder if enthusiastic folk do similar with their car suspension eg Got 3 passengers with suitcases today, hang on while I crawl under & up the pre-load.  :745: Just joshing don't take it seriarsely.

Aftermarket ones don't necessarily cope any better with variations of use, although they might well have greater variation in possible settings.   Factory suspension has to be configured so that you can't make it dangerous, that doesn't really apply to aftermarket.

But to be honest, I think it's more a case of it being set up for your style/weight so you can bung it straight in without having to mess around with it too much.

As for cars, I know you're not being serious but yes, it's possible.   And some do.   There are some really fancy suspension systems now where the oil (which I guess isn't 'oil' as we think of it) reacts to magnetic fields and changes viscosity.   So you can change damping settings either with a dial, or instantaneously using a computer and electromagnets.   Combine that with air springs, also remotely and rapidly adjustable, and you have suspension that you can tune almost infinitely.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #16 on: 18 November, 2019, 09:49:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mike_B [+]
As for cars, I know you're not being serious but yes, it's possible.   And some do.   There are some really fancy suspension systems now where the oil (which I guess isn't 'oil' as we think of it) reacts to magnetic fields and changes viscosity.   So you can change damping settings either with a dial, or instantaneously using a computer and electromagnets.   Combine that with air springs, also remotely and rapidly adjustable, and you have suspension that you can tune almost infinitely.

Aye m8, anything can be done at a cost. Not available to yer average Corsa driving chav though eh.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Puccio

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: Cingoli
« Reply #17 on: 18 November, 2019, 12:32:07 PM »
Well, even your average Corsa has a rear beam suspension clever than motorcycles' dumb swinging arm... but you can still feel very well a difference in it when going over a pothole with rear passengers on board.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #18 on: 19 November, 2019, 10:46:58 AM »
My first car, a Riley 15, had leaf spring rear suspension - derived directly from the horse and cart!

Try tuning that .....  :110:

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #19 on: 19 November, 2019, 03:04:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Paullie [+]
My first car, a Riley 15, had leaf spring rear suspension - derived directly from the horse and cart!

Try tuning that .....  :110:

Ha, all my cars from '66 to '99 had leaf spring rear suspension. Never had to replace suspension, just a broken rear spring on a Standard Vignale & same on a Capri. Only had 9 cars & still got 2 of them.
Leonardo da Vinci