Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hyperpro rear shock?  (Read 1323 times)

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Tonbridge
Hyperpro rear shock?
« on: 02 September, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »
My bike is rapidly approaching 42k miles, and having recently had the fork oil replaced which made a noticeable difference to the way it rides, I'm now thinking that the rear probably needs some attention too.

I see a lot of good comments about Hyperpro springs on here, but idly browsing around I see you can get an entire rear shock from them for a very reasonable price (399), and as part of the ordering process you tell them weight, luggage/pillions/riding type etc, so it gets built to your requirements.

Seems a pretty good deal to me.   Anyone stuck one on a Tiger and can comment on it?

Almost all my riding is solo commuting with a top box full of stuff.   So I'm not hugely bothered about remote preload, fancy compression/rebound adjustments etc, as once it's set up nicely it will stay that way.  I just need something to upgrade and replace a tired OEM shock.

Offline Puccio

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: Cingoli
Re: Hyperpro rear shock?
« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2018, 05:09:31 PM »
Replacing the entire shock at this mileage sounds like a wiser decision!

Basic Hyperpros are unexpensive but reliable, much like the very similar Wilbers ones.

Offline seangee

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #2 on: 03 September, 2018, 07:59:41 PM »
 :0461:
Mine was pretty knackered by 12k. I got the Wlbers basic unit and it was loads better than the OE shock - even when new. done 15k on the replacement and no noticeable degradation.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Offline Solrac.hh

• Tiger Newbie
  • Bike/Model: 2009 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: Orange, California
« Reply #3 on: 15 November, 2019, 08:00:08 PM »
 I am curious on the HYPERPRO units.  As this post is old I am curious if it worked out on the rear suspension.  I am looking at doing some fork seals so I may as well do some springs...and once I do that I have to do something to the rear shock.

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #4 on: 16 November, 2019, 10:28:21 AM »
I've finally given up on the rear shock at 30k, and just bought a Nitron from a fellow forum member here. Yet to fit it, but I'm sure it will be a huge improvement ....

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2019, 11:30:46 AM »
Mine's coming up to 22k, feels fine to me, better with me luggage fitted so might be set a tad hard but it's well backed off from stock for me at 14st + kit.

Mebbe we get used to them as they're going off, what is your call that it needs replacing?
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2019, 11:31:45 AM »
This was my post originally.  In the end I went for a Nitron rather than a Hyperpro - bit more expensive but logic says that separate internal gas and oil chambers, rather than an emulsion shock where the oil and pressurised gas are in a single chamber, will last longer and be more consistent when youre working it hard.   I just went for the basic R1 model, I dont need all the remote adjustment stuff, nor do I need a proper race-quality unit.   My riding is the same commute every day.

Im sure a Hyperpro unit would be a fine replacement for a worn out OEM unit, but since Im riding more than 2 hours every day, I thought it worth spending a little more and getting that bit extra in return.   Also the Nitrons can be rebuilt at a relatively low cost to keep them working like new.

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #7 on: 16 November, 2019, 11:56:00 AM »
What happened to the oem, did it just get a bit bouncy?
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Online Mike_B

• Tiger Master
« Reply #8 on: 17 November, 2019, 11:24:15 AM »
In my case, yes.   When you ride the exact same route every day, it's easy to feel the difference.   Suddenly, in a certain 50mph bend, you realise it's not wallowing, it is tracking where you want it to and the roller-coaster feeling is gone.

Not really surprising in my case, it'd done 42k miles.   Nitron recommend a rebuild every 18k for road use.   Of course there's an element of 'they would say that', but suspension doesn't last forever.

Offline Puccio

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2016
  • City / Town: Cingoli
« Reply #9 on: 17 November, 2019, 12:53:52 PM »
I changed the oem because it began to loose damping when hot, twenty or thirty minutes after starting every ride.