Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?


Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil check question  (Read 5873 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Yellow Dog

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 8836
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
  • Country: New Zealand
Re: Oil check question
« Reply #190 on: 13 September, 2018, 07:47:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
Ha, when we was kids, me Gran wudna let us out of house baht drippin butty to line us bellies. They were tasty back then. Could ya imagine eating it now with all the meat bulked up with brine, foul disgusting stuff comes out of meat now when it's cooked.

I remember buying bacon from a butchers in Kilkenny, nowt but pure fat come out of it, best bacon butties I ever tasted, on Irish soda bread anorl, scrummy.

Can't wait to buy you a beer Paul. You're a funny fellow and I'm sure you'll be great company :008:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline Paul2bikes

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4865
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
  • Country: UK
Re: Oil check question
« Reply #191 on: 13 September, 2018, 07:49:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
No arguments with either. My point was that the old bloke with an expensive bike (plus experience and savvy) is a far better role model than the pimply kid with a cardboard top box. And 9/10 times will get there quicker AND safer.

Ha, yeah but not as much fun as following a London courier, madder'n a box of frogs.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3396
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • Country: UK/Belgium
Re: Oil check question
« Reply #192 on: 13 September, 2018, 09:36:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by seangee [+]
No arguments with either. My point was that the old bloke with an expensive bike (plus experience and savvy) is a far better role model than the pimply kid with a cardboard top box. And 9/10 times will get there quicker AND safer.
Agree with all except expensive bike. London to Brussels 2 days ago on my old Beemer (with more luggage than any modern bike can carry, i.e. panniers front and back), and scraped through the jams pretty well!  Scraping being the operative word - 2 big cylinder heads at the front and steel bands on the panniers - inspires confidence.  :028:

I was getting through gaps much tighter than I'd attempt on the TS. Funnily enough I found the big advantage was lack of height. My mirrors were below the level of most van mirrors - a big advantage, since they usually clash on the Tiger.

Still wouldn't try it in the Blackwall Tunnel though. Basically if you try and filter through there, you're leaning on the car roofs as you go.
« Last Edit: 13 September, 2018, 09:38:33 AM by Paullie »

Online dreamer

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 222
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport
  • Country: UK
Re: Oil check question
« Reply #193 on: 13 September, 2018, 09:42:11 AM »
JJ's R1200RS with Panniers is thinner than the TS with her new (eBay specials) SHAD panniers.  The exhaust side one sticks out so far (massive airgap between the Remus and the Pannier rack, I guess it's sized for the stock exhaust of course).  I haven't tried riding with them on but it looks like a honeybee which has collected a LOT of honey !!!!!!!

But following other people filtering has been the main way I've learnt how to start doing it.  Just usually if it's a courier I'm thinking, blimey I wouldn't do that, but if it's someone a bit more sensible I try to follow if I feel safe.  Not sure I'd even attempt it with the panniers on !

Mirror clashes are a consideration though - that and cars not expecting the second bike to come through...

Offline Paullie

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3396
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • Country: UK/Belgium
Re: Oil check question
« Reply #194 on: 13 September, 2018, 02:57:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by dreamer [+]
Mirror clashes are a consideration though - that and cars not expecting the second bike to come through...
Extra lights, hazards (a continental habit I've picked up) and loud horn are all useful. Surprising the number of people who will move over if you give a quick toot as you approach.  :028:

Offline Woodie

  • Tiger Member
  • **
  • Posts: 80
  • MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) is a thing innit?
  • Bike/Model: Tiger 1050 2008
  • City / Town: Upper Bucklebury
  • Country: UK
Re: Oil check question
« Reply #195 on: 14 September, 2018, 11:47:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by dreamer [+]

But following other people filtering has been the main way I've learnt how to start doing it.  Just usually if it's a courier I'm thinking, blimey I wouldn't do that, but if it's someone a bit more sensible I try to follow if I feel safe.  Not sure I'd even attempt it with the panniers on !


Piece 'o' cake. Do it loads when touring on the Sprint! SWiMBO just follows behind as she think If he can get through I've got no problem.
If you look at a bike, the widest part is usually the handlebars and unless you have mahoosive panniers they are usually not that much wider.
You just have to be a tad les aggressive..

(P.S. I used to be a courier so maybe a little aggressive in my filtering)


 :007:

I never touched it, you can't blame me, it went off when I was cleaning it.

Offline Paullie

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3396
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • Country: UK/Belgium
Re: Oil check question
« Reply #196 on: 14 September, 2018, 08:22:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Woodie [+]
Piece 'o' cake. Do it loads when touring on the Sprint! SWiMBO just follows behind as she think If he can get through I've got no problem.
If you look at a bike, the widest part is usually the handlebars and unless you have mahoosive panniers they are usually not that much wider.
You just have to be a tad les aggressive..

(P.S. I used to be a courier so maybe a little aggressive in my filtering)
Ah, now he tells us! So you were one of those people who bounced their elbows off car mirrors and scared the living daylights out of people!  :002:  So what bike did you use?

Online dreamer

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 222
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport
  • Country: UK
Re: Oil check question
« Reply #197 on: 15 September, 2018, 09:45:33 AM »
Theyre shad panniers And def wider than the bars!  Will snap a pic and upload it when I get a chance :)

Offline Paullie

  • Tiger God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3396
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
  • Country: UK/Belgium
Re: Oil check question
« Reply #198 on: 15 September, 2018, 10:23:42 AM »
A low silencer and modified pannier rack on the RHS could help.

But I feel that the only solution to wide panniers on the TS is the soft ones - a bit less wide and less of a problem if you do (hit) ...  :027:

Online dreamer

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 222
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport
  • Country: UK
Re: Oil check question
« Reply #199 on: 15 September, 2018, 11:00:45 AM »
Yeah I looked at those, but generally not waterproof without extra outer bags which is a pain.  I think the best option is probably to get a modified pannier rack on that side, which if I get around to it I"ll look at.  Or just suck it up and think I'm only going to be using them when we're going away, so sacrifice some filtering for it.  It'll teach me how to work out how wide the bike is, if nothing else  :745: