Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel tank and fuel pump - replacing, fuel filter cleaning  (Read 356 times)

Offline Karolkodo

• Tiger Member
  • Bike/Model: Sport 2013 red one:-)
  • City / Town: Gdansk
Fuel tank and fuel pump - replacing, fuel filter cleaning
« on: 10 August, 2018, 11:52:47 AM »
I've managed to do some small service with my '13 TS fuel pump and fuel filter, made some photos so everyone could look how it looks inside, how simply it is made and easy to maintain.

I wanted to look how fuel strainer/screen/filter (whatever you call it) looks like, clean it...and by the way change whole fuel tank, because I've bought new one - previous has few bad marks :001:

Inside fuel tank you can see fuel level float, that is connected to fuel pump base inside - you have to unscrew the pump fro fuel tank, slide it off just a bit to see plug (red and black wires) and disconnect it before removing fuel pump - pay attention not to disconnect cables from sensor inside - ot would be hard to plug it in later.

Pump assy can be disassembled simply by pulling 4 latches - you flat screwdriver and possibly someone to assist.

Main fuel line is sealed by o-ring and just pushed to pump base.

I've got some rust inside the tank...but it looks terribly on photo only - it is litereally a light coat. I've flushed fuel tank with fresh fuel...any particles left will be stopped by strainer eventually.

Flushed the strainer so it looks almost like new. Simple disassembly-simple assembly. btw fuel pump with its aluminium bracket can be mounted only in one direction so there is no possibility to assemble it wrong :002:

former yamaha MT-01 (Kodo) rider
...you can call me Charlie

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
Re: Fuel tank and fuel pump - replacing, fuel filter cleaning
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »
Pay particular attention on reassembly to ensuring that the float doesn't catch against anything else. There was a recall on some Tiger models because of doing just that - I think the float was catching on cables?

Offline Karolkodo

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2018, 09:50:05 AM »
Yup, I guess these wires are only possible to catch float. There is a special partially opened loop on fuel pump upper body so wires should get there...but during pump install there is possibility to loose wires from there - ypu have to pay attention. I believe I've managed to do this properly, everything works fine, including fuel level indication :002:

Offline Timbox

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2018, 10:11:39 AM »
Here is an excerpt from the bulletin Triumph put out recommending an extra zip tie:

« Last Edit: 12 August, 2018, 10:13:10 AM by Timbox »
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S

Offline Timbox

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: 2016 TS Matt Black
  • City / Town: Newport
« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2018, 01:57:51 PM »
Holy cow, wanted to take my tank off to have a look at something else so decided to have the fuel pump out too and do the wiring mod.

Thats a fair bit of crud

Cleaned and wiring zip tied,

Thanks to Karolkodo for spurring me on to do this
2016 Tiger Sport, Power Commander, DNA, Wilbers Suspension, Healtech Q/S

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2018, 03:54:37 PM »
What is that? Looks like bits of solder have got into your petrol tank!  :114:

Offline Karolkodo

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2018, 07:54:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Timbox [+]
Thanks to Karolkodo for spurring me on to do this

:001: youre welcome :031: uhh..thats some dirt...
possibly it's this kind of enamel/glaze/undercoat that tanks have underneath the paint? I've seen some black marks of undercoat at my new fuel tank fuel inlet.. hard to tell. Anyway, its good that you looked there. My friend once told me a story of cleaning his fuel pump strainer on a highway...his MT-01 had some troubles with running properly...he had his tank repainted and he found out that it was not cleaned well after sandblasting and painting :003: