Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Why not add an avatar to your profile ?

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: As it's not in the sticky: How do I know what tune I have in + 2016TS?  (Read 3999 times)

Online Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2016 Tiger Sport
  • City / Town: Hastings
Re: As it's not in the sticky: How do I know what tune I have in + 201
« Reply #20 on: 14 November, 2018, 06:08:24 PM »
Interesting,  it if the TS 16+ runs weak, the a high flow air filter will make it run weaker....or does the ECU suss that and make the mixture a tad richer to compensate? :084:
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R and ZXR 400 race bike

Online seangee

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: Bracknell
« Reply #21 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:12:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ukwes [+]
Interesting,  it if the TS 16+ runs weak, the a high flow air filter will make it run weaker....or does the ECU suss that and make the mixture a tad richer to compensate? :084:
Saying it runs weak is probably misleading. It runs just fine. If you want to increase the power you need to make a bigger bang cos thats just the way IC engines work. To get a bigger bang you need to burn more fuel. But fuel isn't petrol, its petrol and air mixed. If you add more petrol the bottleneck is the airfilter and you can't get air into the system quickly enough so you just burn more petrol. A higher flowing filter will let you burn more fuel (at the optimum ratio)  and at that point your exhaust becomes the bottleneck because you can't get the burnt fuel out of the system fast enough to let more in. So you open the exhaust by removing the baffle. So quite literally you do get more bang for your buck.

ermmm or something  :087:
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Online Ukwes

• Tiger Master
  • City / Town: Hastings
« Reply #22 on: 14 November, 2018, 09:15:33 PM »
Yup, understand that....which is why I was wondering how it would get the extra fuel
Other bikes: 2017 Speed Triple R and ZXR 400 race bike

Online seangee

• Tiger God
« Reply #23 on: 14 November, 2018, 11:14:51 PM »
That's what the adaptation does. My understanding of how it works is very fuzzy but based on that ...

The ECU is programmed with a target air fuel ratio. When you run the adaptation it measures the actual values against what it thinks they should be and works out what adjustment it needs to make to get it right. It then applies that adjustment across the map to compensate for what you have changed from the default setting. One technique used by tuners is simply to change the target setting. Its also the way many add on booster plugs work, they connect between the sensors and the ECU and send false readings to the ECU to make it behave differently. The targets set by the manufacturers are an attempt to get the best compromise between performance, fuel economy, emissions and engine wear. In some cases this is the only difference (engine wise) between different specs of the same vehicle (e.g. BMW 525, 530, 535 all have the same engine - or had last time I checked). So the fact that the fuelling is so good is no accident - and its not unique to Triumph or the TS.

Some people fear that the current generation of engines are the best we will ever see. Its a few years since I saw the draft specs for Euro 6, but those required that engines were self regulating for emissions. Instead of targeting AFR they will be required to target emissions. SO when your engine is worn (or you remove the cat) your emissions go up and the ECU will reduce the power to bring your emissions back down. That is the reason that manufacturers are starting to lock down their ECUs. Its not that they don't want us to fiddle. They are required, or will be required, to do so by the beaurocrats.

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #24 on: 15 November, 2018, 12:45:28 AM »
So what was the outcome?

Mine has 20004, but I'd expect there to be a 20005 by now.

Those buys that run the dyno shops, know how to tune them, regardless of the locked ECU.

Has anyone tried the 2016+ Booster Plug? Only heard bad things about it on other forums  :114:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Offline rode2rouen

• Tiger Master
  • Triple-licious!
  • Bike/Model: '07 Tiger 1050
  • City / Town: N.E. oHIo
« Reply #25 on: 15 November, 2018, 02:17:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ukwes [+]
Yup, understand that....which is why I was wondering how it would get the extra fuel

If the ECU is self-adapting to air filter and exhaust changes, it would seem to indicate that the system is running in "closed loop".
By that, it means that the ECU is constantly monitoring the O2 sensor readings and adjusts the A/F ratio as needed.

The ECU controls the injector "pulse width", which is the period of time that the injector is delivering fuel to the cylinder.
Longer pulse width = more fuel.

Ignition timing is likely being adjusted by the ECU as well when intake and exhaust modifications are made.

Rex

Online seangee

• Tiger God
« Reply #26 on: 15 November, 2018, 07:05:22 PM »
The ECU is not closed loop across the board. It is closed loop at idle, which is why an adaptation is required. Its not foolproof but it does work very well.

At least that's true of the stock bike. Mine is fully closed loop and does not require adaptation  :007:, as is the case for anyone who has made the trip to Hilltop.

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
« Reply #27 on: 16 November, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »
Tim's done the Hilltop thing and is a happy bunny  :169:

Offline R3morf3R

• Tiger Master
  • Torque and Sonority enchanted individual
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport 2017
  • City / Town: Leuven (Brussels)
« Reply #28 on: 16 November, 2018, 08:32:56 AM »
I'm not quite sure. If we are thinking of the same user, he went the way of the Powercommander, as far as I know.

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
« Reply #29 on: 16 November, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by R3morf3R [+]
I'm not quite sure. If we are thinking of the same user, he went the way of the Powercommander, as far as I know.

Timbox went the Hilltop route, but his profile now states Power Commander ..  could be an age thing  :087:

Regarding the getting more fuel, through the motor, after the air filter, I don't think the baffle is the restriction to worry about. If you remove the CAT, the exhaust may or may not cope with the extra throughput. Probably will cope reasonably well and be less of an issue that the CAT.

Has anyone done a CATECTOMY on a 2016+ Tiger  :187:
« Last Edit: 16 November, 2018, 07:22:35 PM by Yellow Dog »