Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Not sure what I did but I am sure I need help (no start condition)  (Read 388 times)

Offline turtle

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2011 Tiger 1050 SE
  • City / Town: Central IL
Long story, but I'm hoping telling it all will help you help me.  I left the breather tubes off the airbox when I serviced the bike not too long ago.  I found the tubes disconnected when I was cleaning the bike recently, so I removed the plastics and the fuel tank to reconnect those tubes to the airbox.  Nothing crazy happened.  All seemed to go fine.  But when I went to start the bike, nothing on startup was right.  The bike would not turn over at all.  It didn't make the same noises.  In fact it is pretty much silent.  I get no neutral light, all the trip information is gone (it just displays a bunch of dashes), and my GiPro gear indicator goes through its sequence and apparently does not find what it is looking for because it displays an "F" when it completes.  Lights work, horn works, indicators work, brake lights work, and the odometer shows up when you key on, but that's about it. 

I must have done something, left some connection off, knocked something off, or whatever.  I'm completely baffled.  I checked the battery connections and they are tight.  I did not check battery voltage but the lights and horn are strong and the bike has only been sitting a few days.  It was getting late and I was a little frustrated so I did not do anything else.  I have a video of what it does but the site does not appear to accept mp4 files any more.  If you know how to post it please let me know and I will. 

I really hope someone can tell me what might be wrong.  Feeling a little desperate.  Looking for
 :465:

Thanks.
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline turtle

• Tiger Master
Re: Not sure what I did but I am sure I need help (no start condition)
« Reply #1 on: 10 August, 2018, 04:16:34 AM »
Battery is at 12.7 V.  Instruments toggle between Trip1 and Trip2, but not to "setup".  Hours are still in trip info but nothing else. 
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Online Yellow Dog

• Tiger God
  • City / Town: AUCKLAND
« Reply #2 on: 10 August, 2018, 07:13:55 AM »
So you don't hear the fuel pump doing its thing, the kill switch isn't on, and you can't hear the ECU. Before removing the tank again, just make sure you haven't managed to accidentally disconnect the ECU.

Otherwise, you will need to take the tank off again, as you must have missed an important connection. They need to click and lock, to confirm the connection. That includes the fuel pipe too.

I'm sure it will be something obvious  :031:
2018 TIGER 1050 SPORT (c8

Online Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #3 on: 10 August, 2018, 07:41:58 AM »
Aye hopefully something simple like tiredness causes these probs. I'd guess it's to do with the tank, eg the electrical connection?

Good luck with it. Sure you'll find it with a fresh head.
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Paullie

• Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Tiger Sport (2014)
« Reply #4 on: 10 August, 2018, 11:30:48 AM »
I know you say the battery is at 12.7 V, but all the indicators are that the battery voltage is too low for the ECU to work properly.

If I were you I'd get a pair of jump leads and parallel up a car battery to the bike (car engine off, of course). If everything lights up as normal, you'll know it's the battery.

Also, check the kill switch is On, and not failing.

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #5 on: 10 August, 2018, 12:08:03 PM »
12.7v with ignition on or off & do the lights stay strong n bright or go dimmer?  Did you jetwash it?  Is it actually in gear (no neutral light)?  Flicked kill switch on/off few times?  Fuses ok?  Battery terminals tight n clean?

Offline turtle

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: 10 August, 2018, 02:18:36 PM »
That sound you hear is a forehead slap. 

Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Offline turtle

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: 10 August, 2018, 02:30:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone.  I realized with the mentions of the kill switch that I never checked it.  In my defense (not that this is defensible), I had extra help cleaning the bike up a bit after getting it back together and my helper (or I) must have flipped the switch.  I have cycled the kill switch before but I don't know that I have ever turned the key on with it turned off.  It never occurred to me that it might have been flipped because I don't normally touch it.  I now rescind my undeserved forum title of Tiger Master  :192:.  What a comedy of errors.  Thanks again, Tiger nation.  The help is much appreciated.
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE

Online Sidewinder

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2007 Tiger 1050 Yellow
  • City / Town: Sheffield
« Reply #8 on: 10 August, 2018, 02:37:47 PM »
Rejoice in a simple fix with zero cost.

Offline turtle

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: 10 August, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Sidewinder [+]
Rejoice in a simple fix with zero cost.
For sure!
Bill
2011 Tiger 1050 SE