Tiger Sport 1050 Forum

Please login or register.

News: Warm welcome to our new members !

Author [ES] [MY] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Motorbike Camping and Porlock Hill :)  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
  • Bike/Model: Helga
  • City / Town: Newport
Re: Motorbike Camping and Porlock Hill :)
« Reply #10 on: 09 August, 2018, 05:35:10 PM »
I too found low speed tight stuff not the TS's forte. But I found it dramatically improved once I ditched the OE Pirelli's, I found the front far too twitchy
Ex Sport owner now on KTM 1290 SAS

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
  • Bike/Model: 2014 Tiger Sport 1050
  • City / Town: High Peak
« Reply #11 on: 09 August, 2018, 05:43:16 PM »
Brilliant wee trip, great fun innit, I love the camping trips.

Like Paullie said, too much weight high up, both of you. You need to go away for a weekend on one bike. That then is all you need to pack when on two bikes. Me & Missus did it for 15 years, 3 week camping hols in Italy & France. She don't come any more, we did it on Triumph Sprints, full camping & cooking gear all packed into the panniers & top box.

Like the boys have said, the TS is a top heavy lump. I'm lucky to have a Tiger 800 also, when I'm going on nadgery stuff now I take that. I made the decision to get that after riding the Stelvio's 75 hairpins on the TS, fully loaded with 100lbs of luggage. Twer heavy going for a lil old fart.
« Last Edit: 09 August, 2018, 05:45:06 PM by Paul2bikes »
The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline dreamer

• Tiger Master
  • Bike/Model: 2017 Tiger Sport
« Reply #12 on: 09 August, 2018, 05:58:18 PM »
What do you run instead Timbox?

I can't think what else to do with the luggage; don't want to go superlight although we could.  2 back surgeries means I can't sit on the floor etc.  The heavy stuff was mostly in the panniers on the BMW.  My top box was only my clothes (tshirts, socks etc.) and was under the 10kg max weight I think for the topbox.  The bag on the pillion seat wasn't overly heavy either, although it was probably heavier than I think!

My worry with the panniers is that (other than the fact the racks look ugly), it's yet more weight on the supporting leg when I stop........  even if it is low down weight...  and thats already a challenge on a camber or gravel.

BUT... either way...  we didn't do wiggly tight stuff with the luggage on.  The wiggly stuff was unloaded, so it wouldn't have helped there anyway.  I need to practise that sort of stuff as it's really my nemesis now; a few close calls with dropping it / struggling with it and it's got into my head now.

Paul2bikes - yes amazing!  We were planning to come home and go away again this weekend, but we can't find anywhere close enough for a 2 day trip, where it isn't raining all weekend !

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #13 on: 09 August, 2018, 06:37:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by dreamer [+]
What do you run instead Timbox?

At the moment Im running Dunlop Sportsmart II Max's, but then mileage isnt my number one priority, fantastic handling, I will never find this tyres limits. The first Tyre I tried was Mich PR4's, and they certainly cured the nervousness, but I thought they felt too sticky and squirmy, great in the rain though, but I dont ride much in that sort of weather. Next were Dunlop Roadsmart III's and they feel  similar to the Sportsmarts, but with better mileage, allegedly.  The last tyres before the current ones  were Avon 3-D XM's, cheap as chips (125 a pair on special) and actually couldnt really fault them.

Offline dreamer

• Tiger Master
« Reply #14 on: 10 August, 2018, 09:05:40 AM »
Thanks :)  How do you find the Dunlops in the cold/wet?  I rode all winter last year and intend to do the same this year, although my Angel tyres aren't anywhere near dead yet...

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #15 on: 10 August, 2018, 09:17:01 AM »
Angel tyres aren't anywhere near dead yet...

Which Angels are they? It's the ST's that we didn't like, the GT's are top tyres.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline dreamer

• Tiger Master
« Reply #16 on: 10 August, 2018, 09:19:22 AM »
STs......  (factory fit)

Offline Paul2bikes

• Tiger God
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #17 on: 10 August, 2018, 09:24:44 AM »
STs......  (factory fit)

They weren't that bad, some liked them. They just wore quickly when past half way.
Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Timbox

• Tiger Supporter
  • Tiger God
« Reply #18 on: 10 August, 2018, 09:26:02 AM »
Thanks :)  How do you find the Dunlops in the cold/wet?  I rode all winter last year and intend to do the same this year, although my Angel tyres aren't anywhere near dead yet...

No idea, havent got Dunlops on the car :008:  Seriously though, I really dont ride that much in those sort of conditions anymore,  the Roadsmart III's are well up to it, but there is now one more complication, Mich Road 5. A mate who really hasnt liked Michelin tyres for some time had to concede to me that they are actually pretty good, and he tried them on a 170BHP KTM Super Duke GT.

Offline dreamer

• Tiger Master
« Reply #19 on: 10 August, 2018, 09:39:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paul2bikes [+]
They weren't that bad, some liked them. They just wore quickly when past half way.

I haven't got anything to compare them to tbh, but to me the handling feels fine (I used to race cars so I have that to compare it to, but zero experience on bikes!).  Just tippy (which isn't tyre related).  Just starting to weigh up options for when the tyres need replacing!